What's new

*** Official THE BUTTERFLY EFFECT Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I thought Keanu did a great job in Something's Gotta Give. He can act if he has a good director.

The moving around of this film from April to September to February and back to January pretty much killed all of my expectations of the film. However, Greg of Greg's Previews at Yahoo! Movies gave it a very positive review and said that had it been released two weeks earlier, it would have made his top 10 of 2003 list: http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hp&cf...413763&intl=us

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
I can't post my review untill Friday but I've given the film 4/5.

It's really good and I can't wait to revisit it. As for Kutcher, he surprised me in a positive way with his performance here. Give the guy a chance.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I too am looking forward to it and the Time Travel aspect even makes me want to see it more.
There doesn't seem to be too many reviews on rottentomatoes yet but there are two good ones there.
I'll check the movie out.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
According to the creators of the film in an article at Fangoria.com a director's cut with the original, darker, not "comercially viable" ending will be upon us when the DVD comes out. Of course they say it wouldn't be commerically viable, but then go on to say they never actually screened it to a test audience.

Either way, I'm looking forward to giving this movie a shot Friday.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Here's a bit more about the directors cut. I am guessing its dark and not happy so audiences would have not liked that very much.

From Darkhorizons.com

Butterfly Effect" Gets Director's Cut
Posted: Tuesday Jan. 20, 2004 10:30pm (Au-EST)

Author: Garth Franklin
Source:

Even though its not out in the cinemas yet, New Line has spent a lot of time developing this rather unusual tale of one man being able to change his past - so much so that the DVD looks like it'll be rather special.

DavisDVD reported today that the filmmakers behind "The Butterfly Effect" have completed a director's cut of upcoming time travel film for the eventual DVD release. According to directors Eric Bress and J. Mackye Gruber, New Line Cinema allowed the filmmakers to go for a darker and more controversial ending for a possible DVD release:

"At least they allowed us to shoot our ending, because we knew [the subject was debated] back and forth. That was one of the problems over the years. Everyone thought the ending was amazing, but they didn’t know for a mass release how audiences would fare with that. The differences between the director's cut and the theatrical cut were not the results of test audiences' comments. In fact, the DVD would be the first time the director's cut has ever been screened at all" says Gruber.

"It really has not been tested in front of an audience. We were in such a time crunch to finish the real movie and not be too concerned about these extra scenes, we really just didn't have that opportunity, and things were pretty much locked [for the theatrical cut]" says Bress.

Michael Pakula

Second Unit
I saw The Butterfly Effect today at a advance screening and I must say I was quite suprised at how good it turned out to be. I can' wait for the dvd now after hearing about the alternate ending.

-Mike

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Well, I'll be able to see it tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to this one -- especially after seeing the trailer a few times.

Aaron Garman

Second Unit
Terrific film. This should be one of the early hits of 2004 and it shows that Kutcher is actually a talented actor. I thought the idea of the film is there and it's very creative in how it pulls everything off. We all think about how we would like to change things, yet we fail to think how those changes effect everyone else. This film deals with that notion in such a great way, it makes for a nice two hours of enjoyment. Reccomended!

AJG

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
So where's Marks review?
I had friend that saw it at Sundance and he didnt like it. He said Ashton and Amy couldnt even explain the movie themselves.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Just got back. I'll have to organize my thoughts a little more, but I really liked this one. Not flawless in it's execution, but the story is pretty strong and I thought Kutcher did a great job (though there were times when some That 70s Show humor came through during scenes that weren't meant to be funny :)).

Overall, very strong. Best film of the year, hands down.

...of course, we're only 23 days into the year, but still :D

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "The Butterfly Effect" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "The Butterfly Effect" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
I was very, very pleased with this film! Very happy that all the waiting wasn't for a bad film. In my opinion, the first great film of 2004 is The Butterfly Effect.

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
Saw it again tonight with my dad and he enjoyed it almost as much as I did.

I'm going to try and see it atleast once more before it disappears. Hopefully I can fit it in with work being so crazy over the next week.

M.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Haven't scrawled a review for this one yet (I was trapped on a mountain in Mormonia!) but I concur with those who found this a crafty and quite satisfying lil "Twilight Zone"-y kinda flick.

4 out of 5 stars from me!

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
My wife and I REALLY enjoyed this movie. It was uncomfortable and disturbing at times, but it was one of the best movies I have seen in a while.

I guess this is another one of those times where I disagree with most of the critics.

Definitely worth your time...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks