*** Official THE BOURNE SUPREMACY Review Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Chris, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

As I commented in another thread, I was able to see Bourne Supremacy in a distributor's screening last week. I had looked forward to this film most of the summer, and am glad to say it doesn't dissapoint.

The Bourne Supremacy is a good welcome back to all of those who were fans of the first film. Grittier and darker then it's original, the film offers some amazing action moments and is surprisingly well acted. The plot stays interesting and kept me wonderng what was happening for the better part.

Some will not like the fast-paced editing and quick cut aways, but I found that it made the entire experience much more "real time" then many films and managed to heighten the feeling that things were progressing on screen.

Matt Damon looks/appears much more muscular/athletic in this film then the first, and his fight sequences are not as cropped/tightly focused as in Bourne Identity.

This film jumped up to be in the top set of films I've seen this summer - along with Spiderman 2 and HP3 - for sheer "fun factor" alone.

This is a great action movie that reminded me of everything I enjoy about the genre.

There are some problems I had with the film, but most of them are relatively minor. As a note on this effect: DO NOT SIT VERY CLOSE TO THE SCREEN. It will make the film very difficult to follow. Try to sit about 1/2 way back from the screen or further, because otherwise you may feel nausea with how fast/full the screen gets with things going on. [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] 1/2 : [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "The Bourne Supremacy". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.

Crawdaddy

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I think I liked this followup from the initial entry into the Jason Bourne film franchise. The film plowed through its plot nicely, and the action scenes got a bit too chaotic to really enjoy any of it (perhaps that was the point). There were plenty of twists and turns, plus the usual cat-n-mouse games on display. I did think that the film missed on the inner workings of Bourne's state of mind, so there is less of a connection to him from an audience point of view.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.

4. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    The Bourne Supremacy

I'm literally worn out as I type. Matt Damon deserves some recognition for this role. He was simply phenomenal in the follow-up. This was very reminiscent of some of the great British spy thrillers. The Bourne series has a European sensibility to it ala Leon: The Professional. Unlike the non-stop pace of the first outing, this is a thinking man's thriller. That does not in any way equal boring. Damon is a bit beefed up and has truly become this Bourne character. Nice to see a film without being bogged down with mindless explosions and action. I cannot state enough how good Matt Damon was in this. There are some unnerving scenes in this film. Best film I have seen all year.
    A-

5. Dave Hackman

Dave Hackman Stunt Coordinator

Watching this movie is like staring into a strobe light, with scenes being cut all over the place and at the beginning of the movie it annoyed me but by the end I really enjoyed it and thought it added a sense of urgency that made things tenser and more fun. Matt Damon is excellent in this role and really looks the part. His dialog is minimal but actions speak more then words. This movie reminds me of a mix between Mission Impossible 1 and Ronin and I hope they make a part 3 because I like the no nonsense way Bourne takes out his enemy’s. The sound effects are great with a couple of startling moments that had me ducking in my seat. I didn’t care for the first movie and don’t think it is required viewing before seeing this film. Highly Recommended

B+

6. Brian Sallot

Brian Sallot Stunt Coordinator

I had a choice this film or Catwoman and I feel I made the right one as I have read many have since it crushed Catwoman at the Box Office this weekend.

Everything from the acting, direction, sound and of course action were great and again showing sequels can be as good as the original.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] out of [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] for me

Later

7. aldamon

aldamon Second Unit

My wife and I saw this movie last night and we were incredibly disappointed. The plot, characters, setups and dialog were all tired and predictable beyond belief. Excellent, though ridiculous at times, action scenes made the movie watchable at least.

[​IMG] [​IMG] / [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Scott Burke

Scott Burke Second Unit

Scott B.
    I was really annoyed by the herky-jerky camera movements. You could not really see what was going on(as stated above). This time around it took its time going through the plot I thought.

Not a bad movie, but I prefer the first one.

9. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Saw this movie this afternoon. I was a big fan of the first entry from 2002 and really like this one too. I hated that...Mary was killed, but I suppose this was essential to the storyline.

I give it [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] out of [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Maybe the best car chase in film history.

Wanted more footage with Bourne & Landy though. A very good sequel.

10. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

I enjoyed the movie as well but was disappointed that
    Bourne didn't take out the Russian in hand-to-hand
    One positive aspect was that the movie ditched the girlfriend pretty quickly. I'm tired of action movies where there has to be a girl for the villian to hold hostage or twist an ankle at a critical part etc...

11. Evan Lee

Evan Lee Stunt Coordinator

I thought the plot in this one was better than the one in the first one and yet I still like the first one better. Marie added some intangible to the first one that this one need.

12. Robert Floto

Robert Floto Supporting Actor

I really liked this film (as I did the first), but I think it's really sad that the the cameraman kept having those seizures. It was nice that they didn't replace him, but they could have held the filming up for until he was better. [​IMG]

Anyway, I really thought it was a good film in spite of the fact that I kept thinking, Wow! Who just got shot!?! Was that his car that got hit!?!

It works pretty much with NYPD Blue, but I think today's filmmakers should take a little more advantage of tripods... [​IMG]

13. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Thumbs up from me.

B/B+

14. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I really enjoyed the film a lot. Matt Damon did a great job carrying it, and everyone involved was really good.

A friend of mine read the book and described it to me.
    Basically, someone is going around pretending to be Jason Bourne and is committing crimes/murders/etc., so the CIA kidnaps Bourne's girlfriend and holds her hostage so that they can force him to stop the person pretending to be him. He does so, but doesn't know that she escapes from the CIA, so they are brought back together in the third film.

Just that tiny description makes me wonder what the movie would have been like had the book been used more directly as the source material.

Still, I enjoyed it.

15. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    Bourne Supremacy - [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]½

I enjoyed this about as much as the first film, and in some ways this is a better made film with a poorer development to the overall story. However it was still very fine and equal to the highly deserved reputation of the first film.

The fact that Bourne wasn't a Superman he can get badly hurt, he needs sleep, he's been psychologically fucked with for half his life and so on really improved this film. It made Bourne much more interesting as a character and provided the basis of the plot of this film. In the first film the plot centers around the amnesia device, a weak premise to create a likable libertarian superhero but it was saved by Franka Potente's character as the perfect foil (not just romantic interest) for Bourne. That is the biggest thing missing from this film. I don't want Bourne to be alone, even though much of this film is about his internal journey and discovery the film really lacks the chemistry of a good foil for him to interact with.

I hope the third film maintains the much more morally ambiguous and very interesting Bourne of this film but reintroduces character interactions and relationships of the quality of the first film. If so it has the potential to be the best yet of the series. [​IMG]

While the shaky cam was annoying a few times, such as in the fight with the other agent (a really extraneous scene it seemed) and at the beginning scenes in India, pre-attack; however the technique really worked for the majority of the scenes. Especially the final car chase, easily the most intense and impactful chase I've seen since French Connection.

There were however three endings to the film, and I felt that the one they chose was just a little too obvious a sequel set up, I'd have preferred ending on the russian building which would be much stronger.

Adam