What's new

*** Official THE BOURNE SUPREMACY Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Jonathan Carter

Supporting Actor
I imagine he was the best agent for a few reasons. He was probably more receptive to the training and took more of it in, probably had less of a reaction to the side effects of the programming and drugs they were fed, he probably had better field instincts as far as situational awareness, thinking ahead, switching plans on the fly, and he also had the most unassuming face and body type of all the other agents we saw. He would be far better at blending in than most. All that probably gave him a huge advantage.

david stark

Second Unit
I saw the film a few days ago and liked it a lot. I seem to be among the minority, but I also liked the 'shaky-cam'. Most of the story is seen through Bourne's eye's and unlike the feelings expressed by some on here he does not have super human powers he sees things (and not everything) in real time. Yes he is trained and has had a lot of practice at reacting to these situations than most, but he is still not perfect. By having shaky-cam we get to see the action from his perspective a bit. I think if everything was shot with steady-cam then the scenes would be boring, you would see the truck coming (although the trailer spoiled that for me) for example.

The fingerprint was a bit of an issue for me, but it is their only clue so even if they suspect it is a fake they will try and find that person to see who may have framed them.

As for being the best agent, I don't think Bourne necassarily is. In the books it mentions at least once that he won one fight because he wanted it more (this was because Marie's life was at stake).

As a quick ending to compare with the books I thought the 1st book is far better than the 1st film, but not so sure on the 2nd book. The book and film are very different and for most of it is pretty realistic, the book however I find more unbelievable than the film.

And finally this time a big thumbs up from me for no over the top special effects. The special effects were put in to make it look real not to say 'hey look at this cool special effect'

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Loved the first one, and I loved this one too. Didn't even notice the "shaky cam" style, must have been too wrapped up in the story.

The fingerprint isn't a huge issue to me. They were close to figuring it out that it was faked and Abbott knifed the guy for it. Then once he disappeared, it seemed the woman agent put it all together pretty quickly.

I love this series. Can't wait for the "Ultimatum"...and beyond (they just published a new Bourne book, "The Bourne Legacy," by Eric Van Lustbader with the blessing of the Ludlum estate).

:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Thought I would resurrect this thread since the dvd just came out Tuesday. I planned on watching the dvd Thurs eve but a little insomnia tonight had me in the mood for this film. It was just dying to be unwrapped and viewed.

Since this is the film discussion thread and not the dvd thread, I won't go into major detail about it but say that it's an excellent presentation. From some reviews I was expecting a soft and very dark image. It was intentionally dark but also had good clarity and depth. I thought facial tones were well saturated and while it made alot of them look fairly tanned, it also made the picture come alive during the dark scenes. Nice job there Universal.

Audio was great. Atmospheric and dynamic. Too bad no dts, but the Dolby Digital track is great.

I've defended the jittery camera feel of BS over in the software thread. Part of that was not really having much on an issue when I saw this theatrically. I only saw this once and it was in a very large theater. I sat 2/3 back too.

Watching again on dvd, I was more aware of the jitter, quick cuts, and you are there feel. It was a little distracting at times, but doesn't get in the way of this great film. I wouldn't have used it and it would have been equally effective without it, but it was done well. Man on Fire bothered me much more.

This Bourne series is really top-notch and has me caring for him, and what happens in his life. Something that has probably never happened in the Bond series. To some degree, I felt that with Cruise and Mission Impossible, but I feel more of a connection with Bourne.

Credit that to good screenplay, tight direction, and spot on acting.

I eagerly await The Bourne Ultimatum

Chris

Senior HTF Member

I didn't realize how good the audio really was until last night, watching it, hearing the chase as sirens, other cars, etc. covered the room.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Yup. Watched it last night. The DD-EX track is phenominal. I hate using the word "natural" but frankly there is no better term I can muster. I love the front stage and the surrounds give just the right amount of atmosphere.

Tim, "atmospheric" is great term for this track! Why the cry for a DTS track, when this DD track smacks?

I loved this film. After watching the documentary on the car chase, I stand by it is the best chase on film to this day. Naysayers of the camera work should watch this feature to understand their intent. I can't wait for the 3rd film. Shaping up to be a top-notch trilogy.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover

So true Zen. :) This is a well balanced mix. I did long for a tad more bass but my sub is out too so...Sometimes these sound mixes for these type of films can be irritating all in the name of "the wiz factor". This one keeps it's restraint, just like the Bourne character. When he needs to be a bad ass, he is. Otherwise, he tries not to call attention to itself.

I watched this thing in the wee hours of the morning. Crazy I know. I plan on seeing it again with some friends coming over Saturday night. They've not seen this either.

Someone mentioned that Damon was a surprise to the director too? And they're right. I would have never thought he could do something like this. Boy, was I wrong. Believable and also quite the gritty action man I didn't think he possessed.

Damon, thru Bourne, has this face that speaks volumes when he's not saying anything. Damon owns this character. :emoji_thumbsup:

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Tim, couldn't agree more. As I stated the "you are there" feel" car chase translated very well to my HT. I cringed and had butterflies in my stomach yet again. "Caring" for Bourne is right. And when the boys and I feel like standing and clapping at the end of a film, that's pretty special too. Damon, like Cruise, gets better with age and this maturity translates into the Bourne role. These[Bourne Series] have an intelligence to them, that put them head and shoulders above the explosive video game fluff we are normally served.

Very well put Tim.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

As a naysayer to the camerawork (the chief flaw in an otherwise stellar film) I understand the intent but I don't enjoy it and it only takes me out of the movie. I would have far preferred to have Limon return. He had a similar natural feel while still making the action exciting, explosive, and coherent.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Fair enough Kevin. I found it exciting, explosive and anything but coherent. So I suppose I agree with you to some extent but I loved the cacophony during the chase scene. Your point was well put.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I seem to be in the minority of those who disliked this film, for me the thing that raised the first film above the rather stale "spy thriller" genre was the relationship between the two main characters, I actually liked these people together & wanted them to make it in that film, so when they killed off Marie early in this one I have to admit I lost quite a bit of my engagement in the story....in fact I said out loud "oh, now it will be a revenge/clear my name film eh?" and IMO I wasn't far off. They basically had to make him a lone wolf...yeah...a lone wolf agent...what a surprise....sorry, I really tried to be more open minded about it and I stuck with the film to the end, the story is about Jason after all not Marie, but to my surprise I found that I just had no investment in the story anymore in her absence. It's not like her character was that well written after all...maybe it was that her character not only gave Bourne humanity but also an actual reason to overcome his crippling mental & emotional problems that his "training" left him with, she gave him a goal, a reason to not just simply blow his brains out as the crippling effects of post-traumatic stress syndrome (or any number of mental problems that were working on him) overtook him as they were...or maybe it's just that I missed the chemistry between Damon & Potente. Anyway, much to my surprise this one simple plot point was actually enough to make me disengage from the film...I suppose, this being hollywood, they could have her wash up on the river bank not remembering who she is etc. etc. but that would be as annoying as her dying to begin with IMO.

The whole shaky-cam deal didn't bother me as much as it has in other films where it's use was more obviously forced for style, in fact the only part where it got to be severely obvious, and therefor annoying to me, was in the final car chase. Some call it raw reality, and that's fine, but at a certain point I just yelled out "OK OK ENOUGH ALREADY, I GET IT...ALRIGHT?";)

I'll watch the third film if it get's made but I won't be as interested in it as I was with Supremacy.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

I haven't read the books but my understanding is that Ludlum didn't kill her off. I know a couple of people who read the book and when they came out of the movie, they had daggers in their eyes because of that :)

John Doran

Screenwriter
well, i read the book only after i saw the movie, and to be honest, the movies are so completely different from the books that i don't even think of the former as being a translation of the latter at all. "based on" or perhaps even "suggested by" would be a more accurate description of the relationship.

personally, i like both.

Sue_New

Stunt Coordinator

I agree with this. I am a huge fan of the original Bourne Identity. Loved it, loved it, loved it. I saw this film in the theater opening night and HATED it. The story was good, but I thought the camera work was atrocious. When I go to a movie, I'd like to actually see the movie. And if I need to 'feel like I'm in the action' I'll go to an IMAX film or to Universal Studios. I'm not an old ditty with poor eyesight, I'm not afraid of jerky roller-coasters, or anything like that. I'm 29 and I love action movies, but I WANT TO ACTUALLY SEE THE CHARACTERS. I kept waiting for a new shot where they evened out the camera so I could get my bearings again. It was almost painful. I experienced the same issue in that danged zombie movie of late. One of the last 5 that were released, I forget which one....

Glad you all liked it, and thought it was artistic and all that good stuff. However, I give it a big thumbs down for watchability. :thumbsdown:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks