*** Official TERMINATOR SALVATION Discussion Thread

Pete-D

Screenwriter
I admit going into this movie that I thought the whole Marcus Wright story angle was a disaster in the making and so was Anton Yelchin as Kyle Reese (he was too over the top in Star Trek and I didn't Kyle Reese in this kid *at all*).

But hey, it had Christian Bale ... right? There had to be something there. And Bryce Dallas Howard.

The odd thing is Worthing (Marcus) and Yelchin (Reese) totally OWN this movie. The section of the movie where it's just the two of them and the kid are the best parts of the movie.

By contrast, Bale is trying way too hard, and has little to no chemistry with Dallas Howard. They also never touch on the implications that Howard is apparently pregnant.

I was pretty surprised by this, because this is the exact opposite of what I was expecting going into the film.

If they had focused the film on Marcus Wright and Kyle Reese and then perhaps had John Connor revealed at the end, it likely would've worked much better.

Carlos_E

Stunt Coordinator
Guys:

I have a question about a possible flaw I saw in the movie.

It concerns the opening credits of the movie. In writing, the movie indicated that Skynet became "self aware" in the early 21st century.

But this is clearly wrong right? According to Terminator 2, Skynet became "self aware" somewhere around August 27 or August 29 1997. I am talking specifically about the scene that follows after Sarah breaks out of the Pescadero Mental hospital. As they are driving down the dessert, the Terminator tells Sarah all he knows about Miles Bennett Dyson and Skynet. I remember specifically that the Terminator said that Skynet became "self-aware" somewhere in August 1997 and that humans then tried to pull the plug. This is not the 21st century as Terminator Salvation indicates in the opening credits.

What do you guys think?

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
Carlos,

The events of T2 postponed Judgment Day. In T3, which was released in 2003 and took place in the present, Judgment Day indeed happened in the early 21st Century...relatively around the same time Marcus was put to death...

Pete, as for Bale and Howard, a lot of their material in the first and second acts go cut because if you go by the trailers and the extended four minute trailer, they both had significant scenes and dialogue cut that are quite important. And, apparently in a new interview, McG said the pregnancy will be addressed in the sequels.

Will_B

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Well in the tv series people recalled different Judgement Day dates, since actions in the present sometimes managed to alter the original date.

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter

That's something I really liked about the Sarah Conner Chronicles, in the second season it became obvious that folks from the future were coming from different timelines, and was even a discussion point.

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
IMO, the timeline was off before Terminator 3. There is no way that John Connor was only 10 years old in Terminator 2 as indicated when the T-1000 looked him up on the computer in the police car. I mean, though the date of his birth was 1985 and Terminator 2 took place in 1995, John Connor/Edward Furlong appeared to be more like 13/14 years old. Even his friend was about 13 years old. Of course everybody wants to overlook those facts because Terminator 2 is so well-thought of in regard to being one of the best action films ever made.

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
John Connor is 10 in T2. There's nothing really being overlooked. Eddie Furlong is clearly older than that but the character is still supposed to be 10. How many high school movies or TV shows have actors in their early to late 20's playing an 18 year old?

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Were they possibly better equiped because it was the start of the war against the machines? The Connor we see in the first movie is a grey haired man clearly older than Bale in this movie. Reese is also an adult, not some teenager. And Skynet hasn't developed time travel, yet.

My assumption is that as time goes on, more gets used up so that simple machine guns on the back of jeeps is all that is left. That said, since the bulk of the world's military was likely wiped out at once that leaves a TON of stuff that can be left for the handful of fighters left.

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
Yeah right, but I can't accept him at 10 years old and it has nothing to do with how old Eddie Furlong is, but the character itself despite the known timeline taking place in that film and one before it.

Will_B

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member

No, it's a way to gauge what his age was. It was obviously his motor scooter, not something he had to drive secretly for fear of being pulled over. So that places him at 15 1/2 at best (learner's permit).

California law says "To apply for a motorcycle Class M1 or M2 permit, you will need to...Be at least 15 ½ years of age"

Though I think he seemed closer to 14 in T2.

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
John was stealing from ATMs at the age of 10, and you think not having a motorcycle license or permit was going to prevent him from riding a moped around town?

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Okay, so having now seen Terminator Salvation after heading in with very tempered expectations, I actually mildly liked it. It's not without its problems, but it's consistent in it's OK-ness. It's about the same level as T3 to me - a 6/10. Unlike T3, it doesn't have the very low moments ("Talk to the hand"), and is more consistent. However, T3 has a more satisfying ending, IMO. I think my favorite little moment in the new film was seeing how Connor got his scar.

I must say this film was one of the loudest films I've ever seen.

In any case, I might actually buy the Blu-ray when it comes out, which I never thought was going to be the case going in.

Diallo B

Screenwriter
funny.

The latest movie and entertainment news and gossip - Yahoo! Movies

"Terminator Salvation" earned $43.0 million. The film fell short of the $44 million start for the previous entry in the cyborg series, 2003's "Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines," the swan song of franchise star Arnold Schwarzenegger.

1 - Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian - $53,500,000 $53,500,000

2 - Terminator Salvation - $43,010,000 - $56,382,000

Norm

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
All i can say is i'm disappointed. I at least wanted to see the how the T-600s were made & them trying to infiltate with rubber skin & all. But all we got was that one scene with Kyle, Marcus & Star. It was poorly done & needed Cameron. Why were the t-600s at Skynet all beat up? All they were doing was guarding the humans. Then the movie jumps right into the t-800 models just so they could throw Arnold in there.

Chris Dias

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Call me crazy, but I couldn't tell if Star was a boy or a girl.

Anyone?

Well I just looked her up and she was indeed a girl. Silly me.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zakotamota