What's new

Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines (2003) (1 Viewer)

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
-How are John and Claire Daine's character supposed to meet like this, it is supposedly inevitable, yet they're brought together because of the Terminator, how would it happen otherwise?
Not at all. Originally, they met in the basement *before* the second set of Terminators are sent back. In the third film, they meet because John crashes his bike trying to avoid a deer - this happens before either of the third set of Terminators interact with either of them.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think the major themes of the first 2 Terminator films were subverted by this third installment:

The first 2 films tell us that we are in charge of our destiny. Fate is what we make of it.

This 3rd film tells us it's all pre-destined, no matter how hard we try.

What's more uplifting?

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
This 3rd film tells us it's all pre-destined, no matter how hard we try.
More than that, I think it makes a statment about fate similar to The Matrix. That we can be happy and comfortable if we have the illusion of power to change our fate. We may be able to alter the course of events slightly, but the end is what matters, not the means.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
"No fate but what we make" was ALWAYS a bullshit line. Probably sent by John to keep he and his mother in high spirits rather than giving up. Yes, it's the theme of T2 (not T1 as much), but deep down at the heart of those films, the point has ALWAYS been to save John. The flashforwards and information has ALWAYS been that he is our saving grace in the future.

Yes, it's a little darker this time out because Judgement Day is inevitable and it certainly looks like some things are set in stone and cannot be changed. But, some things ARE left to free will in this film. Twice John chooses not to die (gun to head, ticking bomb). So, he has some control/freedom of choice. The big question is....is it inevitable that Arnie will kill him? Or is that something that can be altered? I guess we'll have to wait for T4...

todd stone

Screenwriter
Do you actually think Arnie can do T4?? He looked good in T3 but I mean another few years and he is REALLY gonna look older and have a much harder time getting in shape.

Robert_Z

Screenwriter
I thought this was a very good action movie with great audio/video quality at the local theater. People have a lot of complaints, and I can appreciate that. What I thought was funny is that after that whole incredible chase scene in the beginning, Danes does not have a scratch on her.

This 3rd film tells us it's all pre-destined, no matter how hard we try. What's more uplifting?
Ha, that's funny. :D

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
Well, I am a HUGE fan of the first Terminator. I find it epitomizes what an action film should be. Fast, serious (never silly), with a great story and lots of heart from its main characters. Michael Bien owned that first film, even though Arnie was the star. The seriousness of Kyle in the first movie really sold how dangerous the Terminator was.

T3 was certainly better than I had thought it was going to be. It really was, however, a rehash of number 2. The "newer-still" teminator was, like some have said, a LOT like the T-1000...maybe even not as powerful. I found it odd that John never mentioned the T-1000.

Loved the scene where the TX "tastes" John Connors blood. Her reaction is just great.

Could have easily done without Claire in this. I just did not see a need for her other than filling the "girl-turned-tough-warrior" role.

What this film used waaay too much of was the classic Deus Ex Machina. That is, there are several situations where the humans would have zero chance of survival until "ta-da" the "good" Terminator arrives, or the particle accelerator fires up or etc. etc. to save the day. It was an overused gimmick that reeks of lazy writing.

I will also chime in to say that I missed the Brad Fidel score. It was like a Bond film without its classic score. If anyone has insider info on why there was no Fidel, let us know!

Kudos to Arnie for still looking pretty damn good! He is packing nowhere near the size and intimidation he had in the first one, but he still looks great! Especially since he had a motorcycle accident 3 months before the shoot. Oh...and the whole heart operation too!

John Geelan

Screenwriter
T3 certainly beats the pants off The Hulk when it comes to action.

The Crane chase was worth the price of admission ($5.75) by itself!:D

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
If you felt it was unnecessary, then why did you watch it?
I decided it was unnecessary after I saw it and realized it basically showed me nothing new or fresh. I was hoping that it would expand upon the previous films themes and messages instead of mirroring them, hence it became to me ultimately unnecessary.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I thought it was a somewhat novel way to downplay Ahnuld's aging: by having his face suffer cuts/abrasions from his first encounter with the Terminatrix, and using the facial cut/abrasion make-up to help in this department. :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Maybe, that's why your opinion of this film is lower than some others. Many of us, myself included were just hoping this latest film wouldn't be a disaster compared to the previous two films. Maybe, your expectations for this latest film were higher than what many of us were even hoping for.

Crawdaddy

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
I am having a discussion with my friend about T3 and we're bringing up good points.

First, overall, the Terminator is being sent to protect the leader and he is trying to be killed, does this suggest that the machines lose the war, thus trying to kill him to alter the victor?

The only reason John Connor is leader is because he is next to a mic, but the way he got into that underground position was because the Terminator was sent back to do all this, etc. and Claire's "father" sent them there.

How would change occur in front of the machines and the humans int he future, if Sarah Connor were to of been killed in T, how would the future witness itself change, since everything is predetermined the future is happening as they speak. Would the future just transform in front of everyone...?

Aaaah!!

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
How would change occur in front of the machines and the humans int he future, if Sarah Connor were to of been killed in T, how would the future witness itself change, since everything is predetermined the future is happening as they speak. Would the future just transform in front of everyone...?
Nothing would change in front of everyone. It never would have happened in the first place to be changed. The future changes starting now, not some magically point in time 30 years from now.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

My guess is the filmmakers are hoping you wouldn't think so hard about this plotline at this time. I'm sure that once the nuclear fallout is diminished and humans are able to functioned in the outside environment again that Connor will prove himself a leader in early battles against the machines. Remember, up to this time we still don't know how Connor received that horrible scar on his face.

Crawdaddy

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I'm glad I wasn't the only one to pickup on the ecstatic reaction on her face.
Me too!

Tino,
While the action and structure are primarily re-hashes of the previous films, I feel the message is quite different. Rather than feeding us more of that "No fate but what we make..." crap...there's a revelation that certain things cannot be changed, and you have to step up to the plate and lead if it is your destiny. The ending to this one really changes the whole series, IMO.

Dennis Pagoulatos

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dennis
Matt: I thought it was different in a good way; ie deepened the whole series, thus even making the first 2 films better! :)

Bert: I covered that point about him NOT being just a guy next to a mic in the previous page..read and see what you think... :)

-Dennis

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Let me just reiterate that I enjoyed T3 alot. It was fun. I liked the ending too, rare to see a downer nowadays. My expectations were neither high nor low for this film, so my reaction is just what it is. I wanted to like it and I did, I just had some problems with it.

I can appreciate that many here got more than they were hoping for. I hope those that did can appreciate that some of us just didn't like all that we got, that's all.:)

BTW, one of my favorite scenes is in the bar in the beginning when Arnold is scanning the patrons for a outfit. He scans an overweight woman with tight loud clothes on and his sensors flash "INAPPROPRIATE"!:laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks