What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

*** Official SYNECDOCHE, NEW YORK (2008) Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Written and directed by Charlie Kaufman.
Starring:
Philip Seymour Hoffman
Catherine Keener
Michelle Williams
Samantha Morton
Hope Davis
Jennifer Jason Leigh
Amy Wright
Emily Watson
Dianne Wiest

With those names attached, would I really have to know more about this film to want to see it?

Not me, I went today.

Take it Michael. ;)

[Of course, it would have been nice to get this in the correct forum. I'm soooooo old. :frowning: ]

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I moved the thread from After Hours to the Movies forum.

Anything else?
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
*** Official SYNECDOCHE, NEW YORK (2008) Discussion Thread!

How cool is that?

Next: "Choose the Right One".

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Never heard of it. ;)

Seriously, I don't know how to discuss Synecdoche. I have yet to read a review, positive or negative, that capture the film's bizarre vibe. I had a sense of what I was getting into from the title, from the trailer and from that wild sequence in Adaptation where the Charlie Kaufmann character is trying to decide where to begin and ends up starting at the very beginning of the world. But even then I wasn't fully prepared for how far the film takes its central premise of a writer so devoted to being "truthful" that he can never finish.

Watching it isn't a comfortable experience. I suspect most people won't like it, if for no other reason than that the end is about as clear as The Sopranos's cut to black.

Josh Pounds

Stunt Coordinator
I am pretty positive the "theme" of this movie is about self-reflection and reflection on the world you live and the existence you happen to inhabit. Kaufman uses many devices -- both played out emotionally and (to my delight) literally.

God I love Charlie Kaufman.

I believe the gist of the movie might be summed up with this quote, to whom I am unsure it is credited:

"It seems that I know that I know. What I would like to see is the eye that knows me when I know that I know that I know."

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Synecdoche, New York (2008)". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Synecdoche, New York (2008)" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
any word on when this is wide.
Not showing anywhere that want to travel to right now.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

This reminds me that I have a friend in South Austin who hates the idea of travelling to North Austin to see a film.
A bit frustrating for me since I drive (or ride the Guzzi) 80 or so miles to go to that theater and don't mind a bit, actually enjoy it on the bike, traffic and all.

Synecdoche, New York is not the sort of movie that "goes wide".

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
here in philly it's only on 1 screen.
Even these movies show on at least one other screen out in the suburbs.

Aaron Cooke

Second Unit
I guess we'll have to wait until this hits DVD to have much of a discussion on one of the best movies of the year. Seems like no one has seen this one. I'm hoping that's because of the limited distribution and not lack of interest.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

Everyone who's seen "Synecdoche, New York" recognizes it as the feel good movie of the year.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Just watched this the other day on BD -- bought used at a bargain price.

Guess there hasn't been much discussion here since it got released on BD/DVD either. Either that or I just did *NOT* get "lucky" w/ the search function (as usual).

_Man_

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I think I might've posted in the DVD or BD review thread after I watched it. I could swear I posted *something* but I don't remember where.

Interesting flick. I think I need to watch it again to really appreciate it, but I'm not sure I'm ready to put in the effort again. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yashavi46
Recent bookmarks