*** Official "SWEET HOME ALABAMA" Review Thread

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert Crawford, Sep 28, 2002.

1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Dec 9, 1998
    This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "Sweet Home Alabama". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.
    Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!
    If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.
  2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Feb 12, 1998
    The story is as familiar, predictable and sentimental as the trailer suggests, but the movie is still fun, thanks to a great cast led by Reese Witherspoon (who, if Friday's box office figures are any indication, can now open a movie). Fred Ward and Mary Kay Place are great as her parents, and Candace Bergen makes a scarily believable mayor of New York City (and prospective mother-in-law). In the role of Witherspoon's childhood sweetheart, Josh Lucas makes good use of all the baggage he's acquired playing disreputable characters like Darby Reese in The Deep End and Rudy Sr. in You Can Count on Me. Like most romantic comedy, there are major improbabilities and a resolution that's far too pat, but it's an entertaining ride if you approach it with the right set of expectations.

3. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Aug 6, 2001
    Chuck Mayer
    Well, it's not as good as Legally Blonde, but it's better than most romantic comedies. I laughed a few times, I smiled more, I predicted events immediately, but I still had a decent time.
    Reese Witherspoon is the REAL DEAL. LB cemented this, and SHA is just the first test drive. In any other hands, this film would be a $10M opener and then disappear. Beyond making it bankable, she makes it as believeable as possible. As a film, it's just a tad above average. But a likeable cast (including Melanie Lynsky as a mother of 4 Southerner - she's a native of NZ I assume) does well enough. And Reese is beautiful, beautiful, beautiful...and talented.
    I liked the film, really liked her performance, and believed it delivers on what is promised. The trailer did not lie...it's this film [​IMG]
    Recommended if you or your SO loves Reese.
    Take care,
  4. Tino

Tino Lead Actor

Apr 19, 1999
    Incredibly disappointing.
    I am a huge Reese Witherspoon fan but Ms.Resse is completed wasted in this (not so) romantic (not so funny) comedy. Her character is so unlikeable that I was amazed that she was attracted to this role.
    In short, the film is a dull, unoriginal retread of various other better films. No chemistry between the leads, no charm, very little humor and fatally predictable, Sweet Home Alabama is, IMO, Reese Witherspoons worst film.
  5. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Jul 14, 1999
    Chad Rouch
    For a movie that panders to so many cliches it forgets one of the most important structure ones: make the guy she's jilting a worse choice than the intended heart-throb.
    Patrick Dempsey was never played out to be the worse of the two, therefore her inevitable decision at the end is bittersweet. At the very least they needed to give him a fall back girl to soften the blow. As it stands it severely weakens Reese's character. But after that agonizing bar scene her character didn't need another hit like that. She also came off as extremely materialisitc since she only goes for Jake after she sees his glass business.
    If you don't have the main character right in these movies, then the rest doesn't matter cause it will fail, as does this one.
    also, I never did quite figure out where her mother stood on the issue of which guy to choose. One minute she's preaching to get out of the town and that guys like Jake are Quicksand, and the next she's rooting for Jake because he's good people.
    2 out of 5 stars.
    Spoiler protection added by administrator; please do not include spoilers in Official Review threads.