What's new

*** Official "SWEET HOME ALABAMA" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Sweet Home Alabama". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.
All HTF member film reviews of "Sweet Home Alabama" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.
Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
Crawdaddy

Tim Abbott

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim
Did anyone have a chance to catch this movie yet? I must admit that I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. It was fairly predictable, and most of the amusing parts were shown in the previews, but I still liked it. This is a great date movie. I have never been a huge Reese Witherspoon fan, but I think that changed today.

This certainly isn't a waste of money, but it may be a better rental for others. Think Runaway Bride and The Wedding Planner. If you enjoyed those movies, you'll like this one as well.

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
I liked this film as well; it's one of the better films out of the genre, but I really must not agree with:
Think Runaway Bride and The Wedding Planner. If you enjoyed those movies, you'll like this one as well.
If you know me, you'll know I was REALLY not a fan of either of those films; "Sweet Home Alabama" doesn't hit the painful areas that either of those films did. Both of those films had awful characters, bad writing and laughable subplots.
Here, most of the supporting characters are nice, interesting and funny people, (For you "Memphis Belle" fans, you'll get a BIG chuckle out of Courtney "Left Waist Gunner" Gains as the local cop) and as a bonus, both of Melanie's love interests are both good people with nothing in common (neither are the bad guy), so it's more of her choice of what road she wants to follow.
Most of the credit to this film's success is, of course, Reese Witherspoon, who is terrific here. The film, while different than last year's successful "Legally Blonde," (which I also liked, despite the heavy pink!) has many of the same likable characters, funny situations and good writing of everyone around Reese. She's a young, spunky Meg Ryan, but you already knew that. :)
Of course, the plot is very formulaic, even predictable (an I had a big problem with a certain character's "exit" at the finale), but I had fun with the journey getting there, and I like this stuff when it's done well.
Hey, feel free to disagree. And while it could be the fact I'm a big Reese fan, I think there's a lot of good in "Sweet Home Alabama". So there. :)
Jason

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I usually love Reese in almost anything, but I really disliked this film.
Her charms were not enough to save this dull, humorless, charmless film.
When the supporting characters are more interesting than he leads, you know there is something wrong.
Calling this film predictable is one of the biggest understatements of the year, Was there one original idea in the whole film or one development that was at all a surprise. IMO, No.
And considering how listless the packed audience was during todays afternoon performance, After a big opening, I predict a pretty quick death for this one once word of mouth gets out.
I really wanted to like this film. Oh well....:frowning:

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
And considering how listless the packed audience was during todays afternoon performance, After a big opening, I predict a pretty quick death for this one once word of mouth gets out.
That's funny, in LA the audience was rolling. This has to be regional differences in audience reaction. Sweet Home Alabama doesn't treat the characters as mean spirited and it doesn't set up the audience to feel superior. Perhaps you 'damn yankees' wanted to laugh at the quaint and backwards southerners, and were disapointed that it was a laugh with movie, and not a laught at movie? That's a rhetorical question btw, and not intended as an insult.

I enjoyed Sweet Home Alabama because all I expected was a romantic comedy. It delivered with snappy writing, and a tight and well constructed script in its favor to cover up the many stereotypes (with the exception of Bobby Ray), and often average performances. It delivered a completely predictable and expected film. I didn't go in expecting to be blown away with something so profound as to make Taxi Driver look shallow, and I enjoyed the film.

it's a romantic comedy along the lines of the well written, well acted fair such as You've Got Mail and Sleepless in Seattle, nothing more, nothing less.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Michael

That entire post in the review thread is full of spoilers! It probably should have been posted in this thread instead. I think a lot of people are going to be pissed when they read it, no?

Grady Hollums

Second Unit
Real Name
D.G. Hollums
I loved the movie and I got to see it free the Thursday before it come out!

I saw it on Fandango and purchased the ticket on-line then ran to the theater only to find out that it was a special screening for a radio show promotion! They refunded my tickets and let my wife and I go see it fro free. I purchased a combo meal and that was $12.00 a $1.50 short of the original price to make sure the management knew I appreciated the gift!

My wife and I loved it! Especially if you have ever come from a small southern town! That town was perfect and reminded me so much of home that I actually missed home. Except my state is Texas the greatest country in the world, heh.

Go and enjoy a great romantic comedy!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Tino --

That entire post in the review thread is full of spoilers! It probably should have been posted in this thread instead.
Point well taken. I may be a bit late, but I added spoiler protection in the Review thread.

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks