What's new

Superman Returns (2006) (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member

A TV reporter rattled a list of cities, and Gotham was one of the cities named (perhaps citing Superman's appearance in them after he goes into hyper resuce mode and finding out that Lois confides to Richard that she doesn't love Superman).

Took in another viewing last night. Caught one other detail: Both young Clark and Jason wear similar cross-hatch patterned shirts the first time you see them in the film, young Clark's has more of a red/white/blue color scheme going on, while Jason has more of green/yellow/earthtones in his shirt. The theater was about half-full for the 9 p.m. showing I attended.

James@R

Second Unit

This sequence made one of the same mistakes that Superman III did. If Superman does a daring rescue in another part of the world, don't just have a character tell you about it- show it!

I realize they couldn't show all the rescues, but I was hoping to see at least one or two 'global' rescues appear in the film. Hey, even Quest for Peace had him speaking Russian! :D

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member

I guess Richard swept Lois off her feet! ;)

From a personal level, I understand competely why Singer has gone in the direction of doing a sequel to Donner's vision. Just dreaming here, but if I ever did a Superman film, I would have wanted it to bring a certain kind of closure to what has gone before. For me, SUPERMAN and SUPERMAN II were on the same level as the SW trilogy, and it has bugged me for years that the franchise was screwed up in 1983 when it had such potential.

I've been waiting for this film for 25 years, and I'm glad it is what it is-not another origin story, not a new take, but(perhaps) one last look at the world of Superman as envisioned by the talented people who brought it to the big screen with such style in 1978. The love story was such an important part of the first two films, and I'm happy to see that Superman and Lois share something very beautiful and special, even if they can't be together for the sake of humanity.

For me personally, SUPERMAN RETURNS completes a trilogy, and I'm very happy that it was made.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member

Depends on what quote from them you read. Sometimes they say that this is a sequel to both films. Certainly there are allusions to SUPERMAN II in the movie(when Kitty asks Lex if he's been to the Fortress before), and in the novel Lois remembers seeing the crystals before, but in a vague dream.

Unless Singer redoes the Zod scenario and acts like it never happened before, I'll consider this to be a sequel to both movies.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
thinking about possible sequels some more- and I don't know how creative they are going to want to get in the future based on the returns for this one, but I was thinking if they did want to follow thru on some of these things in a way people wouldn't expect, they might try leaping ahead 15 years, aging all the characters (to me, that would be refreshing to see) and positioning Superman/ Jason as a kind of King Arthur/Mordred conflict.

I know it won't happen, but the things I enjoyed most in the film (apart from the dazzling , iconic superheroics) were when it took chances and liberties to strike out on its own ground. And I'd be willing to give future films the benefit of the doubt as far as storylines goes until I see how they are actually executed.

The Jason element is a huge kink in the myth at this point, but that just means there is a challange here that truly 'great' artists can rise to meet. A little like working within the restrictions of the production code. That never stopped Wilder and Lubstich from making witty adult material- in fact it may have been catalyst for much of their creativity.

James@R

Second Unit

The most obvious answer is to reveal that Jason is really...Mr. Mxyzptlk!

And given the current state of special effects, just think of the limitless possibilities here!

Realism be damned. :D

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

I don't know if your jesting or not, but that opponent might actually produce a very fun, very entertaining, very creative movie. And a nice change of pace from all the other superhero movies out there.
I was thinking that Lester ruined the lighter approach with this character, but it really comes down to how its done- the plays the thing.
No reason Mxyzptlk, in and of itself, would have to create moronic situations.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Second viewing.

Some of what I disliked didn't bother me anymore. Some of it softened. I certainly enjoyed the film more, and I'm going to bump my score accordingly. Some of what I liked, I liked more. Even loved. And all of what I loved, I still loved.

Some thoughts:

1) The train set has a Smallville sign you can distinctly see after it's been destroyed.

2) Jason is wearing Aquaman jammies in his last scene.

3) I liked the red star on Clark's bedroom ceiling.

4) The plane scene is awesome beyond words.

5) So is Clark going supersonic above the Daily Planet on his way to sea. That's a shot of shots.

6) The theme is much better conveyed on a second viewing. But still strikes me only partially. Jor-El is only part of his legacy. I appreciated the words spoken to Jason from Jor-El's past, but Clark has another father. The supposed flashback with Jonathan Kent would have made the Last Son themes resonate more. I still think a scene of Clark telling his mother she is a grandmother might also be quite meaningful.

7) And I still think the remnants of Krypton are important. It would give more resonance when he sees New Krypton.

8) Lois goes down easier the second time. Still shrill, and I still don't see why Superman loves her. Or Richard. The boy is quite good.

But it worked better. Still has some issues that needed to be ironed out and weren't.

Oh, and...

0) I'll keep saying this...best pre-credits sequence ever. VO, visuals, music. The only thing that would have improved it would be a short non-verbal visual origin after the credits :)

8.5/10,
Chuck

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
I thought I heard Singer say it was a "Loose" sequel, meaning fit it where you can. There should be no debate. Unless you want to nit pick forever. I look at it as a simi continuation but not a direct exact sequel.

James@R

Second Unit

I don't think I've seen any discussion of this tidbit. I assumed it was to imply the location of Krypton, but that seems to contradict the idea that astronomers had only recently discovered its location.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Glad you liked it better the second time, Chuck. For me, this was easily my second most anticipated movie ever (behind TPM) and most often no film can compete with that kind of anticipation.

I can't wait to see it again.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I was glad I liked it more as well. I'm looking forward to a third viewing (since I forgot my free movie ticket to this showing). My entire family has seen it (in three different states) at this point. All were rather favorable (though all found it a little long). I've done my job.

Next, Superman walked out on a hospital bill, leaving the little guy to foot the cost. Fucking Superman :angry: Batman would have at least left a wad of cash.

My favorite (short origin) is from World's Finest #1 (1991) by Steve Rude. Two pages, panels side by side (4 per page), Bruce and Clark, dreaming. Superman/Batman: Public Enemies stole it a few years back (and also did it well), but nothing beats that version by Rude. Dirt cheap on Amazon. Written by Dave Gibbons.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Chuck:

I've got all 8 issues of "Up, up and away!" just begging to be read. Can't wait to tear into those after seeing SR.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

I've been very critical of Singer, but I give all the credit to him here. He (and Ottman with the editing and score) orchestrate a sense of peril and chaos and scale that was I was expecting to see 25 years ago when Zod hit Metropolis (but instead got a silly slapping match with an anti-climatic disco rollerskating, toupee flying, blow job).

There are a lot of sci-fi/fantasy/hero movies in the last 5-6 years I liked much better than this film- but that sequence alone is the most thrilling, exhilirating set piece I've experienced since I was a kid watching all the contemporary classics on the big screen.
Bravo!

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
I did find it kind of comical to see Lois being the only passenger tossed around the plane like a ragdoll, while everyone else was securely strapped in. That'll teach her to buckle up next time! :D

Actually, it would have been pretty cool if the space shuttle rips the top of the plane apart (ala Fight Club) and causes Lois to be in danger of being sucked out of the plane before Supes rescues her. That would have mirrored the helicopter rescue scene in the first film.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Actually, Lois was belted in, but unbuckled to help strap "evil corporate blond" in just before the boosters went. I'd like to think engineers would have an interlock built into the connecting struts, physically preventing abooster ignition until the shuttle is disconnected :) But it's just a movie :D And that's the nuke in me thinking.

Chris, "Up, Up, and Away" is pretty fricking good. Not great, but quite solid. Plot is quite a bit similar to the film (believe it or not). Not the same, but the parallels are interesting.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Chuck (and other DC Comics readers),

I'm a little behind on my comics reading and suspect "Up, Up and Away" might be a good place to start reading Superman again. However, I have just finished Identity Crisis and am about halfway into "The Omac Project" Should I finish reading these Pre-Infinite Crisis tie-ins, along with Infinite Crisis itself, to avoid any spoilers, or is it ok to dive right into "Up, Up and Away"?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Well, Batman has the cash to blow.:D Superman is many things, but I get the impression that rich isn't one of them. I'm a print journalism major. Trust me when I tell you it doesn't pay shit.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks