What's new

*** Official SUNSHINE Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

DonMac

Stunt Coordinator
The July 20th date is a limited release. It doesn't go wide until July 27th from what I've heard.

Also, this weekend Richard Roeper listed it as one of the movies to be reviewed on "Ebert & Roeper" (or now more accurately "Roeper and guest-of-the-week") that'll be broadcast next weekend, so that'll be some exposure.

RafaelB

Second Unit
I caught this when I was in Barcelona back in April and really enjoyed it. Actually, I thought it had better pacing than "28 Days Later." Boyle really brings the paranoia/suspense level here. It reminded me so much of "Alien." (In a good way).

Rafael.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
So is Sunshine a monster movie ??? The trailer really grabbed be, suggesting a fun sci-fi movie, perhaps on par with The Core, but hopefully better.

But a monster movie? I don't mind vague, careful previews. But I loathe misleading previews.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Well damn it, you could have warned us that James B's review pretty much spoils the entire plot including the last quarter of the film, no huge surprises for me anymore in regards to this film. Mind you the "Extended Trailer" also does a pretty good job at this...so head's up. :thumbsdown:

Was this film inspired by the PS1 video game Sentient? I see quite a few rather large similarities including the name of the ship, the look of the ship, the basic plot etc. etc.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"Mind you the "Extended Trailer" also does a pretty good job at this...so head's up."

Yea it does. Which is why I didnt put any sort of warning about the review.
It also shows you the fates of a few characters, which suprised me.

Ill put a warning spoiler on the James B link.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I really enjoyed The Core (yep, i'm easily amused ;)) so i'll love this i'm sure.

Didn't care for Boyle's 28 Days Later but this looks great. :emoji_thumbsup:

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Roeper called it a "glorified slasher movie." To those who have seen it, is it a scifi movie or a horror movie? If it is the later, then I have lost all interest in it.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I'd say that in tone, it is very much a science fiction movie, but it does have a plotline that involves people being murdered. It is a bit of a swerve, but I see it much less a "glorified slasher movie" than a science fiction adventure that uses some horror situations to advance the story.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Wouldn't know; I haven't seen Event Horizon. This particular movie is hard science fiction, though - nothing supernatural about it, just a razor thin line between catastrophe and success that can drive people mad.

Michael:M

Supporting Actor
I'd put Sunshine in almost the same category as Solaris and The Fountain, though I think it's closer to Solaris (the Soderbergh version). It's a pretty literal sci-fi story up until the end, when it seems to become a lot more....metaphorical.

What happens after they board the Icarus I did surprise me, but it didn't turn the film into a slasher movie. At least, not quite. I think Garland and Boyle had bigger ideas in mind. I'm not entirely sure what they were trying to say, but it was a fun and interesting ride.

Visually, the film is incredible and worth seeing on the big screen just for them. I also liked how the ship's crew were not action heroes, but astronauts and scientists. Chris Evans, I thought, gave a great performance as someone who was something of an asshole but still a good man. He certainly proved to me that he should be doing better things than crap like the Fantastic Four movies. ;)

FWIW, here are some thoughts from Alex Garland, Boyle's longtime screenwriting partner. There are spoilers, so beware:

http://whatismoderation.blogspot.com...x-garland.html

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Sunshine". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Sunshine" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Jason L.

Second Unit
108 minutes of pure tension. I needed a couple of martinis, valium, and a full body massage after this one.

James T

Screenwriter
I saw this movie last week with a buddy that saw it the night before. So obviosuly, he liked it, but I thoroughly enjoyed it as well.

Other than the very first trailer, I knew next to nothing about this movie. That's probably the best way to see it.

And if they ever release a soundtrack, I'd buy as soon as I can

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"Visually, the film is incredible and worth seeing on the big screen just for them".

VERY impressive visually and technically and simply amazing looking.

"The "slasher" element is hardly a major driver...it does appear in the third act, but it does not overshadow the overall point"

I dont understand the slasher comments at all.

Theres a sabatour, but he certainly doesnt pick off the crew one by one. From memory he only took out 1 crew member

My main problem with this section is in the way its filmed which made a few segments confusing and not quite clear.

The first hour is the most perfect sci fi you coud possibly ask for.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
I caught this in early August, and have not been able to stop thinking about it since. For me personally, this is the best film in years. I haven't loved one this much since Requiem for a Dream in 2000.

I actually loved the filming technique used to shoot Pinbacker, as it reminded me of the visible heatwaves one often sees rising off highway asphalt.

By the way, this film may be the one to push me into the whole HD/Blu-Ray thing. I have had virtually no desire to upgrade formats, but this film was so astonishingly visual, it has single-handedly changed my tune.

Also, I can't say it enough... I adore Rose Byrne with all my heart. She is the most perfect combination of talent, beauty and charm. I'll watch her in anything.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm certain I've seen you say that about at least 20 other movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks