What's new

*** Official STEP BROTHERS Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
No doubt you will laugh at a lot of the immature and gross R-rated humor on display, you can't help it because they just go-for-broke, and if you didn't like one joke, don't worry, another joke will show up very soon. The film itself is pretty uneven, and the most of the laughs are in the opening act, and it's an uphill battle for more comedic bits as it comes to an end, but you get the feeling they were running on fumes by that point.

I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+.

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
Even though I laughed more than a few times throughout the movie, I found it to be a mean spirited movie filled with unlikable characters. Farrell and Reilly are usually really good together but their characters were just overgrown brats. In fact, I almost hate the fact that I even laughed. The funniest bits are when their parent's house is being shown by a Realtor and then the stuff in the trailer. The movie got more and more tiresome as it went along. I really wanted to like this but didn't. I gave it a C- on Yahoo movies.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "Step Brothers". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.

Crawdaddy

todd s

Senior HTF Member
The first 1/2 hour was very funny...crude...but, funny. Then it got repetative. Give it a C.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I posted this in the discussion thread - since no one was discussing it! - but it probably fits better here:

I took it in today and liked it quite a lot. It was MUCH funnier than the tired and tedious Pineapple Express and really worked well. The third act falters a bit, but Ferrell and Reilly show great chemistry - enough to pack the movie with more than a few laughs. I'm a tough audience for comedies, but I laughed out loud at least two dozen times during this one, and that's a LOT for me. By contrast, Express provoked maybe three small chuckles and that was it.

I just adore Reilly - he actually makes a fart joke funny here, something I didn't think ANYONE could do. Sure, Ferrell plays the same man-child as usual, but the role seems more logical here, and he works so well with Reilly that he comes across at his best.

As for the comments about crude humor, I didn't think there was that much here. There are a few gross gags but not a ton. Yes, the movie uses a lot of immature antics, but that's the point: these are guys who never matured past the age of 10. Of course they're "overgrown brats" - that's the entire comedic premise of the film.

And one that's never expected to be taken seriously. The Ferrell and Reilly characters are comedic extremes, and good ones at that. Heck, one could argue both men play the SAME character, as there's really little to differentiate Dale from Brennan. Surprisingly, this doesn't matter, as their antics are so entertaining.

As I mentioned, I think the third act peters out a bit, but some of that comes from its plot choices; by definition, it has to be the least funny of the three. I don't agree that the first act is the most amusing, though, as I think the second act provides the most laughs. The job interview montage alone is priceless.

Funny how so many not-too-hot Ferrell films like Blades of Glory earn big bucks but something good like Step Brothers falls by the wayside... :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks