What's new

*** Official STEP BROTHERS Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Step Brothers". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Step Brothers" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I must admit that I have no interest in seeing this film in a movie theater. However, in the future if it's on the satellite as I'm channel surfing, I'll probably sample it to see if it makes me laugh at all.

Crawdaddy

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Wow - did no one else in this forum see the movie??? :confused:

I took it in today and liked it quite a lot. It was MUCH funnier than the tired and tedious Pineapple Express and really worked well. The third act falters a bit, but Ferrell and Reilly show great chemistry - enough to pack the movie with more than a few laughs. I'm a tough audience for comedies, but I laughed out loud at least two dozen times during this one, and that's a LOT for me. By contrast, Express provoked maybe three small chuckles and that was it.

I just adore Reilly - he actually makes a fart joke funny here, something I didn't think ANYONE could do. Sure, Ferrell plays the same man-child as usual, but the role seems more logical here, and he works so well with Reilly that he comes across at his best.

Funny how so many not-too-hot Ferrell films like Blades of Glory earn big bucks but something good like Step Brothers falls by the wayside... :frowning:

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I wouldn't say it fell by the wayside. Everything opening after the Dark Knight has fallen victim. Including Pineapple Express.

But, I agree - this movie is hilarious. These guys have 3 films now - Anchorman, Talladega Nights, and Step Brothers. I love all 3 for various reasons. Step Brothers is not as quotable, but there are some physical comedy moments that are priceless - such as the fart, the sleepwalking, etc.

Pete-D

Screenwriter
I actually liked this better than Anchorman or Talladega Nights because they totally nail the "kid brothers" dynamic.

It is basically a SNL skit stretched into a 90 minute feature, but there are enough gags there to keep it funny.

I understand the criticisms of it, but I had a good time with it. It reminded me actually of the 90s-era Adam Sandler movies with some of the more over-the-top/bizarre humor mixed with Ferrell's work on SNL.

Way better than Semi-Pro (which was a funny concept, just not a funny movie).

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I dunno - I would've liked it if just for Dale's claim that his house was built in 1825 by General Custer! :laugh:

That does remind me of a logic goof, though. When the parents split in the third act, why does Dale's mom have to leave the house? It's hers! I understand it's a plot point to motivate action, but it makes no sense...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks