What's new

*** Official Steel Battalion Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Scott "E"

Second Unit
Yes, Daren, they do use a manual tranny (5 forward gears, 1 reverse and neutral), although no clutch is used. Really, the only time when you have to worry about shifting is when you're running for your life :), otherwise it's no trouble at all.

Daren Welsh

Supporting Actor
It just seems like with all the technical know-how to build a giant death-dispensing mech, it would have an automatic transmission. So I guess I would just expect to have a Forward/Reverse switch.

Michael Pakula

Second Unit
It cost $300 up here in Canada. So Im saving this game
as one of my presents for Christmas. I can't wait to play
it. It's too bad I didnt have any money to just buy it and play now. Oh well I still got Splinter Cell and Metroid Prime to keep me busy.

-Mike

Ike

Screenwriter
Can someone describe the gameplay to me? I've read Gamespot's review, but it didn't tell me really what I wanted to know. Is it open ended? Mission based? If it's the latter, what kind of missions are there? Is there much "walking room", or is the game pretty linear, Point-A-to-Point-B in it's movement?

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
It's mission-based, and the missions so far (I haven't played too far yet) seem like the usual variety. Go blow up this stuff, protect this, and things like that. It's not totally linear in how you go about it, though. You've got the battlefield all about you and it seems like you can pretty much wander around all you want if you don't want to complete the mission, although there are time limits so you can't wander about forever.
It occurred to me while playing the other night that the term used in the game for the mechs, "vertical tanks", is appropriate since to me the game feels most like a tank simulator, except that in this case the tanks stand up and walk around (and fall down. I keep tipping over :)). As the reviews have said, a major element of the gameplay consists of targeting your enemies and shooting them while dodging out of the way of incoming fire. That might sound like a lot of games but in this case, the deliberate pace of the game and the dual joystick controller gave it a real Battlezone vibe for me. A good thing since Battlezone is one of my all-time favorites. There are a lot of differences as well, but the core feels the same. Of course I'm only on the third mission so far, so people who have played further might disagree with that :)

James D S

Screenwriter
Is it right the the right stick does not recenter (self-center)? I just want to make sure as the left one does.

...Can't get over the size of this thing!

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Okay, so...how many times have you guys had to restart the game due to demotions or death?
I think I've redone the 1st set of missions about 4 or 5 times now. I have yet to get past the 7th one where you take over control of the enemy base in the canyons.

The mission right before it kicked my ass several times until I figured out...RUN!!!!!!! :laugh:
Even with running, it's still not a cake walk.
Oh yeah, this is the 1st game I've played since, I honestly can't remember, on easy mode. :frowning:
Since this game is completely sold out in the US, it must have taken Capcom a bit by surprise, the popularity of it here.
I wonder if Capcom is going to make a full blown sequel and not just a "patch" with online play?
I'd really like to see them push that draw distance out a bit more and, this is nitpicking, I'd like to see MUCH improved replays. They need more camera angles that really show off how massive the VT's are. Some fixed cameras from ground level would be nice.

Rodney S

Auditioning
Just wondering if anyone had any final thoughts on this game. I finally placed my order for this game a couple of weeks ago, just had to have that controller. ;) Hopefully I'll be receiving mine soon.

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Just wondering if anyone had any final thoughts on this game.
Well, I got it the day it came out; finally got to level 19 last week and, I'm sort of burned out on it.

Don't get me wrong. I still played it religiously for over 2 months, hours on end. It must be good to make me do that.

So, my final thoughts would be that Steel Battalion is the cherry on top if you're into a much more sim-like, atmospheric mech sim than say the mindless running/gunning of Mech Assault.

I can honestly say that I've never played a game that makes you feel like you're in a Mech anywhere even close to the level that S.B. does. It's THAT immersive, which is pretty much due to the controller and the phenomenal sound effects. Someone in the sound design team actually came up with the simple idea of, "how would everything sound if you were actually sitting in a seat inside this mech"? And, that's the reason the sound is so immersive. It
sounds like you're in a mech.

Graphically, it's equally impressive as long as you keep in mind that your view of the world is being displayed on a monitor in the mech, getting it's info from a movable camera somewhere on the front of the mech. So, expect some grain and some shaking and some static as you really would with a camera gettin' bounced around and hit. Like I said, it's very sim-like.

The only REAL weak spot, and you'll find this criticism universally agreed upon, is the HORRIBLE A.I. of your teammates.

Don't expect much, if any, help from them. They are so bad that they literally get stuck going in circles in open ground. I've seen it with my own 2 eyes. It's no exaggeration. It's strange though, because they CAN fight reasonably well...it's just trying to get them to the enemy without getting "lost". Hopefully a sequel will fix this nasty problem.

Other than that, the only other gripe could be the rather short draw distance and the somewhat merciless save system.

I thought Enclave was kinda tricky because if you died in a level, you had to start that level completely over, from the beginning.

Don't die in Steel Battalion! You'll start the game over. That's right; completely over from the beginning of the game!!

No mercy there. But...again, as I said; SIM-LIKE! If you die, you die. No reset, no trying the level over. Your eject button is your friend. Of course, eject one 2 many times and you'll run out of reinforcement points and be demoted and have to start the game over again. So, don't die and don't eject, much.

If you look on Ebay, this game is taking in a much higher price than list. It's an instant investment. Maybe it will be a collectors item one day, who knows but, it's off to a great start.

Good luck and enjoy!!

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
According to Magic Box, there is a rumor that Capcom has cancelled the development of the Online version of the game that was upcoming.

Hopefully it's just a rumor, as I was thinking of getting this game at some point.

Glen

Ben Seibert

Stunt Coordinator
Acording to IGN and the official Capcom Tekki site, it is not canceled and will be called Tekki Taisen in Japan (probably Steel Battalion Wars here).

Travis Kolesar

Second Unit
Thanks for the info Ben. Hopefully there will be an E3 anouncement regarding this. I would so enjoy playing against other HTf'ers in anything that used the SB controller.

Ed Werner

Stunt Coordinator
Hi guys,
I have been interested in this game for months now. It isn't the price that has kept me away, or even that it isn't a battletech based game. It is the thing you guys rave about: the controller.
I am left-handed. I need to aim with my left hand. Basically, the controller has to be a mirror image of what I have seen for me to be able to play. And NO, I will NOT learn how to play this game right handed. I didn't for Mechwarrior on the PC and I won't do it for this one. But on the same token, I WANNA PLAY!!!
I emailed the manufacturer, but never recieved a response. Anyone have an email address that I could further inquire about when/if they ever plan on putting out a left handed model?
Thanks,
Ed
P.S. I have had to deal with this when buying PC joysticks also, and could only find the Saitek Cyborg 3D gold that would work because it is switchable from right to left handed and the buttons are all programmable. It is a very nice joystick, but the build quality isn't there as I have gone through 3 of them in a year. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks