What's new

*** Official Steel Battalion Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Scott "E"

Second Unit
First off I'd like to request a moment of silence, at approximately 2:10am pilot Buck Thrustwell lost his life on the battlefield :frowning:.
Buck had roughly 7 hours experience with VT's and if it wasn't for that damn cover over the eject switch, Buck would probably still be with us :angry:.
I had just equipped my VT with some fancy new armor and main weapons only to be surrounded by 6 enemy VT's who all seemed to fire at once. Personally, I think they were jealous of my armor :).
So, has anyone been modifying their VT's or purchased any new ones? How far is everyone? Any other pilots lost in battle?

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Buck had roughly 7 hours experience with VT's and if it wasn't for that damn cover over the eject switch, Buck would probably still be with us
*bows head in silence*
Sorry to hear of his demise. Will he still be on Xbox Live?:D
Im currently on mission 6 and am having quite the time of it. I NEVER put the cover on the eject button. I've had to get the hell out of dodge too many times now to risk "digital" Romiers life:).

JamesH

Supporting Actor
I lost my pilot the first time I played mission 3. I didn't know the bridge would collapse, and then once it did, I didn't know the VT wouldn't work underwater.

The terrible part is that my game freezes every time I finish mission 00, meaning I have to do it over again to get to mission 01. It sucessfully ends the mission about 1 out of every 5 or 6 times, so that's REAL incentive not to die. I wish I could get another disc but Capcom support isn't open on weekends and SB is completely sold out here.

The first time you start a 2nd gen VT......WOW, now THAT'S a cockpit.

Ike

Screenwriter
Would someone who has never played a mech sim be able to get into this? The controller is just so fantastic, that I'm tempted to try to save up and get it.

Scott "E"

Second Unit
Would someone who has never played a mech sim be able to get into this?
A friend of mine was over last night who has never played a mech game before, let alone anything with a controller like this, and I couldn't get him off it. It took him a little while to get used to it, but after about an hour he could hold his own.

To be honest, I didn't find the learning curve to be as high as I thought it would be, although I have played my fair share of mech games.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
My fiance's dad doesn't even play video games all that much and he was able to pick it up just fine.

The only hard part is coordinating your VT's direction, your target reticle, and your camera view.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I can't believe that their boombox option doesn't allow you to play your own XBox Playlist. Bad, Capcom, BAD!

Mike

JamesH

Supporting Actor
After all the controversy, I think I've located the definitive Steel Battalion review. This comes from the literary masterminds of the Ebgames.com reader review section.

----------------------------------------------------------
A customer on 11/28/2002 writes:
THIS GAME SUCKS!
this is probably one of the worst games ever made for Xbox. There are several reasons for why this game sucks:

1. Cost is way too much. it should be worth like $30.00
2. Takes up all of ure harddisk. This is the only game u will be able to play if you play it on ure xbox.
3. the graphics are not that great. Halo has way better graphics.
4. Bad controls. u have to play for like a month to finally know how to use the controls.

All in all, this game SUCKS! DONT WASTE URE MONEY ON THIS!
------------------------------------------------------------

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
I'll listen to anyone that uses the word "ure" in his/her review!
I still cant make up my mind about this game. It looks good, but I dont know if I'd have anywhere to store the joystick in my small college apartment. And I just bought an Outlaw 1050 so $400 just flew out of the wallet :frowning:
Guess I'll just wait until the new year and maybe pick SB up when its on sale.
JQ

KyleK

Second Unit
Is there a site that has a pic of the "controller?" This game is starting to sound interesting:D. But, alas I don't have $400 burning a hole in my pocket right now:frowning: .

James D S

Screenwriter
I finally snagged a copy of the game! Woohoo for me.

But, alas, the caveat is that I cannot play with it until Christmas. I don't know worse, searching high and low for the game or getting it and not being allowed to play with it... But, there it sits... All 8.14 kilos of it.

I feel tingly inside...

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Ah yes, my copy came in today. First reaction was to marvel at the size of the box it came in. I don't know how big I thought it would be, but it just seemed huge. The controller's easier to use than I thought it would be. I can actually get by using it on my lap. The light-up effects on the buttons are my favorite touch.

Dave Sabo

Stunt Coordinator
Stop talking about this... you're all going to make me spend another 200 bucks that I shouldn't right now!!!
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Daren Welsh

Supporting Actor
I think I read somewhere that the mechs have "manual transmissions" ... is that right? Do you have to worry about shifting gears while fighting/manuevering?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks