*** Official STARSKY AND HUTCH Review Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Alex Spindler, Feb 21, 2004.

1. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Caught a sneak of Starsky and Hutch and was entertained by what I saw.

I've learned not to underestimate any movie, and that this is a movie based on a television series was no reason to think less of it. What you'll get out of the deal is a fairly good action comedy with nice period details and good nods to its source material.

The pairing of Stiller and Wilson is as good here as it was in Zoolander. They really milk the two roles for all they're worth and the script gives them both some really good scenes.

On the other side of the law is Vince Vaughn, who plays a villain like only Vince could. He's a great source of comedy as well in the movie, and I don't think there are many others that can match him in this kind of bad guy role. Will Ferrell also throws in another excellent cameo that is hit out of the park. The only real low point is Jason Bateman, who doesn't give much of anything. And Snoop Dogg wasn't quite as good as I would have hoped, but he's not too bad.

All in all, the stunts are good, the comedy is good without being too lowbrow, and I laughed a good number of times. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] (out of four) from me.

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "Starsky and Hutch". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.

Crawdaddy

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

For me, I needed either more comedy or more drama and got neither out of this movie. The comedy bit was underwhelming (not bust out funny, or uncomfortable in some spots, slow in others), and the drama portion of the police case wasn't all that interesting either. I would not see it again for the 3-4 good laughs in the movie.

I give it 2 stars or a grade of C.

4. Yousaf

Yousaf Second Unit

I loved it! I can't wait for Ben Stiller to work with Owen Wilson again (like they did in Zoolander) because not only does Ben seem to do his best work then, but the movies end up being pretty darn good too.

5. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I'm with Patrick on this one, I'm afraid. Perhaps I expected too much from this film because I think, individually, Stiller and Wilson are hilarious. But, I never felt like they were on the same page in this film.

Vince Vaughn saved the movie IMHO. I think he really is underrated as an actor.