*** Official STARSKY AND HUTCH Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Ron-P, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
  2. DanMarquardt

DanMarquardt Agent

how many more of the shows from our youth will the re-package?

funny trailer though!

3. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos Supporting Actor

Dennis
    Nice to see you here Dan! I downloaded the trailer and me and my wife laughed a bit. The buzz on this one is that it's VERY funny (and from what I hear the trailer doesn't come close to doing the film justice!)

-Dennis

4. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

5. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

With the characters themselves have little to do with their TV counterparts, doesn't anyone else think Ben Stiller has the Paul Michael Glaser look dead on?

And casting Snoop Dog as Huggy Bear was perfect!

Color me excited.

6. Craig: Mclaren

Craig: Mclaren Second Unit

Owen Wilson as Hutch though. Thats the let down. Should have been Brad Pitt. [​IMG]

7. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

The film looks like it's done similar to the way the Brady Bunch movies were done. Instead of taking themselves seriously (like most television shows turned into movies), it'll be done in a "parody" type fashion.

I'll go see, especially after the cast that is involved with the project and the director/writer team (Old School and Road Trip are two guilty pleasures of mine).

8. Bruce_S

Bruce_S Second Unit

The trailer looked alright and I will probably wait for its dvd release. However, I want to know -- where was Daisy Duke in the trailer? Who's playing that role? [​IMG]

-bruce

9. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

Both shows are before my time but wasn't Daisy Duke in the Dukes of Hazzard?

10. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

That car....the red and white Gran Torino....look exactly like the one in the TV show. [​IMG]

11. Bruce_S

Bruce_S Second Unit

Nick -

Thanks for correcting me. Isn't there works for Dukes of Hazzard movies?

12. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

I remember reading that they were planning a DoH film and the rumour was Britney Spears to play Daisy Duke. I read it mid to late last year.

13. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Starsky and Hutch" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Starsky and Hutch" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

14. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

I'm really on the fence with this one. I sorta like the trailer, but playing it for laughs may not work for me, as I watched the original series as a kid. But Stiller's look is dead on.

15. Matt Pasant

Matt Pasant Second Unit

My fiance' and I went to see a sneak preview last night, and I was underwhelmed. I thought Stiller was fine, Owen Wilson played Owen Wilson, Vince Vaughn and Jason Bateman were funny. Snoop Dog had a few good lines.

Overall thought I thought it was very uneven. The primary reason for me to see this was Todd Phillips, whom I was hoping would hit another homerun like Old School. He maybe gets a double here. I think Owen Wilsons Hutch dragged the film down, as I said before see one Owen Wilson performance you've pretty much seen them all.

The apperence by the original Startsky and Hutch at the end, dressed the same as Owen and Ben had me slightly confused, i dont know what the intention with it was.

Oh and watch for an appereance from the Dan Band (wedding singers from Old School)at Feldmans daughters party

16. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H

Pretty much sums up my feeling about Stiller, too.

I laughed about 3 or 4 times in this one. Starts out VERRRRRY slowly. Funniest guy in the film? Who else, but Will Ferrell. Big surprise. [​IMG]

17. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

I was hoping Todd Phillips would be 3 for 3 with this one, but sadly he's now 2 for 3. [​IMG]

I thought the film was "so-so" and I was expecting so much more with the cast and crew involved. I only laughed a few times during the film and none were ever huge "laugh out loud" laughs that I got with Eurotrip and The Girl Next Door. Oh well.

Maybe there will be an UNRATED DVD or something. [​IMG]

18. Danny Beck

Danny Beck Stunt Coordinator

Well, I also caught a sneak preview last weekend and I actually loved the movie. I went in with slightly lower expectations but I was pleasantly suprised. I honestly thought the casting was right on the money with everyone. Like others have said before, I do think Owen Wilson was the weakest character overall but he plays the role well and looks the part. Otherwise I thought it was a quality comedy through and through.

Please keep in mind that I do not enjoy the common place thrashy comedies that fill our theaters these days. This movie doesn't have any nasty language and very little T&A. It's just a funny film with great performances and a funny little story.

I think as long as people go into Starsky and Hutch not expecting the usual animal attacking jokes, naked chicks, and the over-the-top penis comedy, you'll like the film. I sure did.

Dan

19. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

I gotta agree with Danny; this is one of my favorite comedies in a long time. Considering the pedigree, I was expecting a much cruder picture. While there were some mildly crude moments (involving cocaine and "dragons"), I was surprised to find the humor fairly tame by modern standards. I was even more surprised, and pleasantly so, to find that that was to the film's benefit. The humor wasn't very crude, but (IMO anyway) very effective. The crowd in my theater was divided fairly evenly into teenagers and the middle-aged. The general reaction from everyone was quite enthusiastic. The film's Starsky and Hutch had a great chemistry, and one of the most good-natured in a genre (the buddy action comedy) which has become quite mean-spirited.
    Aside from that, the film had some of the most creative sequences in a long while and the sequences that were well-tread (ie. the disco dance) were executed more than effectively.
    The biggest thing that sets this adaptation aside from other ones - like Charlie's Angels and the Brady Bunch - is that this was set in the time period in which the show was aired. It felt more natural, and more light-hearted homage and less cynical mockery. I mean, obviously the movie's much much more of a comedy than the show was. But the movie came off as being made by fans of the show unlike the others; getting the show's creator to produce the flick may have had something to do with it.
    While I hate the sniff of a franchise, Starksy & Hutch would be a fun series to return to every few years with a new mystery and new gags to tack around it.
    Color me a fan. It certainly stood out from other recent comedies in a positive way for me.

Oh, and I'm an Owen Wilson fan. Yeah, every character is pretty much the same, but Hutch atleast by the end was a bit more serious-tempered than other roles he's tackled. I liked him in the flick

20. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    My wife and I caught this today with high hopes and were both very disappointed. The movie was very lame and quite uneven. There are some good moments, but they are few and very far between. Even the characterizations of the characters seemed to change throughout the movie.

As someone noted earlier, the Will Farell cameo is probably the best thing about this movie. He was quite funny.

I will have to disagree that there is no nasty language in this movie. There are quite a few swear words and numerous instances of "Jesus" being used in an offensive way. While not at the level of the Sopranos to be sure, please don't take the kids to the movie thinking you won't hear anything bad.

Steve