What's new

Official STAR WARS Saga Discussion Thread: Part 5 (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
If Williams does VIII but is unable (for whatever reason) to do IX, I'd imagine it'd be virtually a lock that Michael Giacchino would do the final score. After all, Trevorrow turned to him to pick up the baton from an iconic John Williams score when stepping into a massively popular existing franchise.

Chris: I definitely agree with you that II as the bottom of the pile. Above that, I'm not sure how I'd rank the other six films. The strengths and weaknesses are just so different.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
How I rate the Star Wars films favorite to least favorite:

-Return Of The Jedi

-The Empire Strikes Back

-A New Hope

-Revenge Of The Sith

-The Phantom Menace

-Attack Of The Clones

-The Force Awakens

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I took advantage of the day off work to really take my time with the remainder of The Art of Star Wars: The Force Awakens. I really like the way Phil Szostak organized the book chronologically; it made it feel like much more of a "making of" resource on the production design and art direction of the film than the earlier "Art of" books. J. W. Rinzler, who wrote the also-excellent The Art of Star Wars, Episode III - Revenge of the Sith, was the executive editor on this book.

As I neared the end, I was struck by what a massive, cohesive enterprise Star Wars has become and will continue to be for the foreseeable future. As this movie wrapped up, most of the conceptual artists migrated over to Gareth Edwards's spinoff Rogue One film. As that entered production, most probably again migrated back to the main enterprise for Rian Johnson's Episode VIII. Once that enters production, most will migrate yet again to the young Han Solo spinoff, then back for Episode IX, and then finally over to the Boba Fett spinoff (which takes us to 2020). The only similar enterprise that I can think of is the Harry Potter films, which operated continuously for eleven years and accounted for eight feature films.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Apologies in advance if this topic has already been posted. Didn't see one initially.

======================================================

With the stunning success of Star Wars VII: The Force Awakens, all SW fans tend to look back at the previous films and wonder this & that.

It is common knowledge nowadays that the George Lucas created Star Wars prequels are held in quite low regard by Star Wars fans in general. GL's recent comments about Disney (while at least halfway true as anyone who has done major business with Disney might attest) highlight what "disaster" might have ensued if GL was the primary input for ST-TFA.

I would like to see some lists by HTF folks on what you didn't like about the prequels.

Of course we all know who will probably be the first entry of all lists but I kinda liked the guy. Still hard to imagine him being played in live-action by Michael Jackson:

View attachment 25520

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
Bryan^H said:
How I rate the Star Wars films favorite to least favorite:

-Return Of The Jedi

-The Empire Strikes Back

-A New Hope

-Revenge Of The Sith

-The Phantom Menace

-Attack Of The Clones

-The Force Awakens

Interesting to see Jedi ranked higher over Hope and Empire. Usually it's put behind them. :) My ranking is similar to yours, I'd put Jedi third but Menace and Clones can be alternated depending on my mood when I watch them.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
My ranking and it can change at times.

A New Hope/Empire Tie :)

The Force Awakens

Return Of the Jedi/Revenge Of the Sith Tie :)

Attack Of The Clones

Phantom Menace

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Tim Glover said:
My ranking and it can change at times.

A New Hope/Empire Tie :)
The Force Awakens
Return Of the Jedi/Revenge Of the Sith Tie :)
Attack Of The Clones
Phantom Menace
I think I agree exactly Tim. [emoji106]

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Chuck Mayer said:
Sweet, I love rankings.

The Empire Strikes Back
Star Wars

Return of the Jedi
The Force Awakens
Revenge of the Sith

The Phantom Menace

Attack of the Clones

Thanks Chuck for referring to these films by their proper names. What is this 'A New Hope' stuff? Perhaps it is a generational thing but please...... Star Wars.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I hate ranking movies (especially since it's a movie that isn't even 3 weeks old) but after having seen TFA a fourth time, I have to say that if I had to, I'd rank The Force Awakens behind only the first two movies.

Keith Cobby said:
Thanks Chuck for referring to these films by their proper names. What is this 'A New Hope' stuff? Perhaps it is a generational thing but please...... Star Wars.
I use A New Hope when it would be unclear to just say Star Wars.

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
My personal rankings would be:

A New Hope (10)

Empire Strikes Back (9.5)

The Force Awakens (8.5)

Return Of The Jedi (8)

Phantom Menace (3)

Revenge Of The Sith (2.5)

Attack Of The Clones (2)

* Parentheses indicates a scale from 1 to 10

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I would personally rank them:

The Empire Strikes Back (10)

A New Hope (10)

The Force Awakens (9)

Return of the Jedi (8)

Revenge of the Sith (7.5)

The Phantom Menace (6)

Attack of the Clones (3)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Its interesting how many rank the Prequels and myself as well. Its similar to my own personal view of the Lord Of The Rings. Loved Loved Loved those. Although ROTK hasn't aged well...but the Hobbitt series was for me a big misfire and mishandled.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Seeing TFA this morning in AMC prime with my elderly Italian parents who barely speak English. And they asked me to take them![emoji15]

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
I saw this at the Empire Imax in Leicester Square in Laser Projection and Imax 12.1 audio it was the best 3D I have ever
seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks