What's new

Official STAR WARS Saga Discussion Thread: Part 5 (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
In the OOT, which movie did Boba Fett first appear?
Real answer: The Empire Strikes Back.

Nerd answer: He was added to the special edition of A New Hope in 1997. Fett was introduced nationally in an animated segment in The Star Wars Holiday Special in November 1978. And if you were at the San Anselmo County Fair Parade on September 24, ,1978, you might have seen his first public appearance walking alongside Darth Vader. Story here: https://www.starwars.com/news/the-real-first-appearance-of-boba-fett

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Real answer: The Empire Strikes Back.

Nerd answer: He was added to the special edition of A New Hope in 1997. Fett was introduced nationally in an animated segment in The Star Wars Holiday Special in November 1978. And if you were at the San Anselmo County Fair Parade on September 24, ,1978, you might have seen his first public appearance walking alongside Darth Vader. Story here: https://www.starwars.com/news/the-real-first-appearance-of-boba-fett
That’s what I thought. I’ve never understood BF’s popularity. He dies in the movie that introduces him. He has little to say or do. I never quite dug how he got so popular.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
He dies in the movie that introduces him. He has little to say or do. I never quite dug how he got so popular.

No, he’s introduced in ESB, dies in ROTJ. And he’s not dead, which Lucasfilm said a long time ago, and as we’ll see in season two of The Mandalorian (allegedly).

I think his popularity comes from the idea of him, not the execution. Of course, he’s intended to recall Clint Eastwood’s Man With No Name, one of the coolest movie characters ever.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
No, he’s introduced in ESB, dies in ROTJ. And he’s not dead, which Lucasfilm said a long time ago, and as we’ll see in season two of The Mandalorian (allegedly).

I think his popularity comes from the idea of him, not the execution. Of course, he’s intended to recall Clint Eastwood’s Man With No Name, one of the coolest movie characters ever.
OK, two movies, but a minor part in both. In Jedi he is literally thrown away. I suppose he could be living in the eternal torment of the beast that swallowed him.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Though it’s a retcon, Boba Fett officially survives the sarlac pic in the expanded universe.

I also never saw what was overly special about him. He has a cool costume design but was just one more detail among the ornamental aspects of background SW stuff.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Though it’s a retcon, Boba Fett officially survives the sarlac pic in the expanded universe.

I also never saw what was overly special about him. He has a cool costume design but was just one more detail among the ornamental aspects of background SW stuff.
How does he survive? I take it he survives in the books?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The EU is gone though. The last time that Boba Fett was chronologically seen in canon, he was swallowed by the sarlacc. That's dead to me but of course, I wouldn't be surprised if he was brought back.

They've even set up an avenue for Fett's return in one of Star Wars: Aftermath novels (which take place in the year after Return Of The Jedi). Jawas have found Mandalorian armor that has been horribly acid-eaten outside the now dead sarlacc (I think it was killed by the explosion of Jabba's sail barge). Obviously, the implication is that Fett escaped but until he actually pops up in canon, I consider the character dead.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Life Day returns! The LEGO Star Wars Holiday Special will be on Disney + starting on November 17 (42 years to the day that The Star Wars Holiday Special aired).

For those that have never seen the original holiday special or those that want to relive that (horrible) experience all over again, here it is on You Tube:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I always thought it’d be cool if they were going to make a Boba Fett movie to have him crawling out of the Sarlaac pit amid the wreckage of the burning sail barge, showing quick flashbacks to him being sucked into the Sarlaac, using some thermal detonators to kill it, and his jet pack to get the hell out of there. He probably stepped on some of Jabba’s cronies to get himself out too; that’s the kind of guy he is. That’s my story on how he survived. Then he labors across the desert back to the palace, to find the other Hutts in charge and blaming him for not protecting Jabba. He then spends the rest of the movie on the run from his fellow bounty hunters. The hunter is the hunted and all that. There’s a woman in his past too, but we won’t get into that.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

If no one ever said a bad word about Jar Jar in Episode 1, I never would have thought twice about the character being ill suited for Star Wars. The mob mentality really went off the rails on the hatred for him...I can only imagine if it had been released in today's society with Twitter, Rotten Tomatoes, and other social media. Would have been so much worse.

Did I love Jar Jar? Of course not, but he was no worse than the Ewoks...which were just OK SW characters too.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

If no one ever said a bad word about Jar Jar in Episode 1, I never would have thought twice about the character being ill suited for Star Wars. The mob mentality really went off the rails on the hatred for him...I can only imagine if it had been released in today's society with Twitter, Rotten Tomatoes, and other social media. Would have been so much worse.

Did I love Jar Jar? Of course not, but he was no worse than the Ewoks...which were just OK SW characters too.
Yeah, both are designed for children. Personally, I like Jar Jar more than the Ewoks especially since they managed to have some fun with him in The Clone Wars.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Yeah, both are designed for children. Personally, I like Jar Jar more than the Ewoks especially since they managed to have some fun with him in The Clone Wars.

That's comparable to saying you like Brussels sprouts more than broccoli. ;)

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
I think two things really drove his popularity when SW had a resurgence in the 90's- the great costume and nostalgia for his toy.

And at the time, during the initial '77-'78 mania for the initial SW:ANH action figures, you could only get Boba, before Empire came out, as a premium bonus figure, with the requisite number of diehard-collector boxtops.
(And this was the "banned" figure that still fired actual plastic projectiles, before that became illegal in toys.)

Naturally, in '78, we were bloodthirsty for ANY plot-hint revelation about what new surprises Empire Strikes Back would deliver, and naturally assumed a cool masked bounty-hunter would be the main antagonist who would join or even rival Vader as the main thrust of the movie.
At the time, so did Lucas, since hadn't had the script quite worked out yet.

And when Empire opened...umm, yeah. So much for that.
Well, like the buildup of Darth Maul before "Phantom Menace", the world of fan-fiction could still dream.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Huge SW fan since I was a 6 year old & first saw ANH in '77. I never got the Jar Jar hate in Episode 1. I actually felt the character's comedic nature was a good counter-point to the darkness of the story.

I disliked the Ewoks a lot more than Jar Jar. Cute little teddy bears didn't really have a place in the SW universe, and I felt that ROTJ was seriously marred by their inclusion. IIRC, the initial idea was to have Wookies be the ones that helped defeat the Empire in ROTJ (not Ewoks) I definitely feel that would have worked better for the film.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
And at the time, during the initial '77-'78 mania for the initial SW:ANH action figures, you could only get Boba, before Empire came out, as a premium bonus figure, with the requisite number of diehard-collector boxtops.
(And this was the "banned" figure that still fired actual plastic projectiles, before that became illegal in toys.)

The rocket-firing figure was never released. I ordered the Boba Fett figure as soon as it was possible to do so, as I had a lot of proofs of purchase just laying around. The figure that arrived did not have a projectile, but instead came with a note indicating why it did not. (Blame Battlestar Galactica and its projectile-firing toys, one of which severely injured - and possibly killed - a young boy who swallowed the projectile.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks