What's new

Official STAR WARS Saga Discussion Thread: Part 5 (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I'm glad I wasn't old enough to see TESB in 1980 because at only 126 theaters, I'd have been waiting until June 18 when TESB hit 35mm to see it because no way would my parents have driven the 40-ish miles to Allentown or Philadelphia to see it. Maybe I could have whined my way into King Of Prussia but that would have been a long shot. :)

I was lucky enough to see Empire in 70mm on opening day, in Edison, NJ, and again opening weekend at the Murray Hill Theater in NYC. The New York audience was one of the best I’ve ever been part of.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I was lucky enough to see Empire in 70mm on opening day, in Edison, NJ, and again opening weekend at the Murray Hill Theater in NYC. The New York audience was one of the best I’ve ever been part of.
Had you read the novelization/knew Vader was Luke's dad before seeing it? I know the individual issues of Marvel's adaptation weren't out in May and near as I can tell, the comic book treasury/special edition/paperback book that contained the full comic adaptation weren't released until after May so I think the novel was the only way that it was spoiled. That or some wiseguy on the playground.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The Loews Astor Plaza was awesome. Saw Empire there on opening Day. Ditto Titanic, on which John Jacob Astor, the theaters namesake, perished.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Had you read the novelization/knew Vader was Luke's dad before seeing it? I know the individual issues of Marvel's adaptation weren't out in May and near as I can tell, the comic book treasury/special edition/paperback book that contained the full comic adaptation weren't released until after May so I think the novel was the only way that it was spoiled. That or some wiseguy on the playground.

Indeed I did. I bought the novel some weeks before the movie came out, and I was determined not to read it. But it sat there, staring at me, inviting me to open it up. One day, I said "there can't be any harm in flipping through it and reading a random page here and there." So, that's what I did. I read one page; I don't even remember what it was. I read a second random page, and it was the big one. To my credit though, I told no one. Pretty big secret to keep when you're not quite 13.

Oh, and the Marvel comics adaptation was out. When I was standing in line at the Murray Hill Theater on the Saturday after the movie opened, there was a guy hawking "souvenir programs" (in those days, theaters sold them), but this wasn't the program, it was the Marvel magazine version of the comic book (a single large magazine containing all installments of the story). So, a kid who bought that waiting in line would have known the secret before seeing the movie.

Lucasfilm and Marvel did not learn their lesson, either, because comic book magazine versions of Return of the Jedi were available before that movie too.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Oh, and the Marvel comics adaptation was out. When I was standing in line at the Murray Hill Theater on the Saturday after the movie opened, there was a guy hawking "souvenir programs" (in those days, theaters sold them), but this wasn't the program, it was the Marvel magazine version of the comic book (a single large magazine containing all installments of the story). So, a kid who bought that waiting in line would have known the secret before seeing the movie.

Lucasfilm and Marvel did not learn their lesson, either, because comic book magazine versions of Return of the Jedi were available before that movie too.
I'm getting too in-depth even for a Star Wars thread :) but then TESB adaptation that you saw must have been either been Marvel Super Special Edition 2:
latest

or Marvel Super Special 16:
latest

The regular Marvel comic book series started running the adaptation in issue #39 (through #44) which came out in June after it opened more widely in 35mm.

For ROTJ, I think they wanted the magazine-sized adaptation (Marvel Super Special 27) to not be released before the movie but needless to say, some places started selling it as soon as they got it. Nowadays, they do the adaptation months after the movie is released. The Rise Of Skywalker adaptation was supposed to start in June (and it's been bumped due to pandemic) so I assume the folks involved don't even start to work on it until after the movie is released.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
or Marvel Super Special 16:
latest

It was Super Special 16, for sure. This was a magazine-sized release, as opposed to the tabloid-size release of the Super Special Edition.

Regarding ROTJ, the guy who ran the comic shop I frequented at the time saved a copy for me, saying he knew I'd want it. So I had it early, probably two-three weeks before the movie.

Last edited:

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I'm listening to the audio book of this one again now. The reader Nick Podehl is really good imho.

Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 5.19.28 PM.png

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
There's a kids game show called Star Wars: Jedi Temple Challenge on starwars.com and their You Tube channel. It's like Double Dare (the old Nickelodeon TV game show) meets Star Wars. It's definitely for kids but I imagine that young SW fans will have fun with it.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Random question that popped in my head today: What was the significance of Rey seeing the hallway from Bespin where Luke fought Darth Vader in her vision when she first touched the lightsaber in Maz's castle? It feels like a payoff that never came.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Random question that popped in my head today: What was the significance of Rey seeing the hallway from Bespin where Luke fought Darth Vader in her vision when she first touched the lightsaber in Maz's castle? It feels like a payoff that never came.
Fan service and nostalgia. J.J. never seemed interested in setting anything up that was going to involve ACTUAL substance.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
It's when Luke lost the lightsaber that Rey was about to get and take another step toward her destiny.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Star Wars films have been delayed a year, with the next one moved to Dec. 2023 from 2022, and two more films now scheduled for 2025 and 2027.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks