What's new

Official STAR WARS Saga Discussion Thread: Part 5 (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
28059268_1735671263159320_6215249523937510538_n.jpg

:rolling-smiley:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
TheForce.net and a couple of other sites are reporting today that the Obi-Wan movie is in pre-production, with filming set to start early in 2019 for a December 2020 release. Personally, there is no Star Wars movie I want to see more than an Obi-Wan movie with Ewan McGregor.

http://www.theforce.net/story/front...e_ObiWan_Story_Is_In_PreProduction_180686.asp

Yes, it is still presented as a rumor, but it is a very persistent one. The report comes from a site called Fantha Tracks, which says that the art department is up and running at Pinewood and work has begun at ILM in London.

https://www.fanthatracks.com/news/f...production-filming-scheduled-for-spring-2019/

TFN also has this kick-ass fan-made image of an Obi-Wan movie poster.

obi-wan-rumors.png

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
From Taschen Books who did The Stanley Kubrick Archives & Charlie Chaplin Archives & Disney, etc., there's The Star Wars Archives book coming in November.

https://www.taschen.com/pages/en/ca...star_wars_archives_episodes_ivvi_19771983.htm

Needless to say, this piques my interest but at a $200 MSRP and the fact that Star Wars has been VERY well documented throughout the years, I do wonder how much new ground could be covered by this book.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
From Taschen Books who did The Stanley Kubrick Archives & Charlie Chaplin Archives & Disney, etc., there's The Star Wars Archives book coming in November.

https://www.taschen.com/pages/en/ca...star_wars_archives_episodes_ivvi_19771983.htm

Needless to say, this piques my interest but at a $200 MSRP and the fact that Star Wars has been VERY well documented throughout the years, I do wonder how much new ground could be covered by this book.

Taschen books are beautiful. I'm the proud owner of the Stanley Kubrick Archives as well as a book they did specifically on "2001: A Space Odyssey". But they are pricey. The other thing is, once the initial run sells out, they will often make a smaller, cheaper version with most (if not all) of the same content but printed on normal paper instead of fine art paper, and those end up costing a lot less. So if you want the content but can live with it in a smaller, less fancy form, there will probably be a version like that in a year or two.

But if you end up buying this specific release, you probably won't regret it.

MattBradley

Second Unit
Real Name
Matt Bradley
I got a chance to meet Ahmed Best shortly before The Phantom Menace came out. Even got his autograph on a Jar Jar action figure. Very nice guy. Sad to hear that his mind went to such a dark place and embarrassed for the people who lash out for an actors performance. I just can't wrap my head around people being so hurt over a performance that they make people this miserable.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Judging by the reactions of Jet and Katie Lucas on a Robot Chicken Star Wars commentary track when they noticed that Ahmed actually did the voice for Jar Jar, he is well liked.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
It was just announced at Comic Con that The Clone Wars series will return with 12 new episodes on Disney's streaming service. I was surprised that the Resistance show wasn't going to be streaming only to snag SW fans but now, I see why. I'm not big on spending money for a streaming service but for The Clone Wars, this is a no brainer.

Story and trailer here: https://www.starwars.com/news/sdcc-2018-the-clone-wars-to-return

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I don't believe this has been shared here before.

I'm a big fan of Ralph McQuarrie's work, and as much as I love the look of the Star Wars films, that artwork really captures the other-worldliness of Star Wars. Now someone has used modern technology to imagine what McQuarrie's designs would look like as a film. It's stunning.

Imagine what could have been if Lucas had this technology 40 years ago.

MattBradley

Second Unit
Real Name
Matt Bradley
And the slowdown period begins. From Hollywood Reporter: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...service-james-gunn-star-wars-slowdown-1145493

I made the timing decision, and as I look back, I think the mistake that I made — I take the blame — was a little too much, too fast. You can expect some slowdown, but that doesn’t mean we’re not gonna make films. We are just at the point where we’re gonna start making decisions about what comes next after (Episode 9). But I think we’re gonna be a little bit more careful about volume and timing. And the buck stops here on that.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
How can they slow down when they already announced so many names working on different projects. But apparently when he was naming names, he didn't mention Rian Johnson's name! :D

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I think slowing down to less than one per year is the wrong lesson to learn from Solo. Iger takes the blame for putting it out in May instead of December - good, because that was a mistake.

Beyond that: They released Solo within less than a month from Avengers 3. And in between was Deadpool. There isn't room for more than one billion-dollar grossing film in a month. Throw in Deadpool, with 3/4 of a billion, and it's just too much. Most families I know will not go to the movies three times in a month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks