What's new

*** Official STAR WARS Saga (episodes I to VI) Discussion Thread: Part 4 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatWahlquist

Supporting Actor
Here's an off the wall question/ request: when pre-production began on Episode III, Rick McCallum cited a painter as a source of inspiration for the production. McCallum said this artist started his career using a wide range of colors, but by the time he died, he paintings were almost all black. He mentioned the artists name, but I do not remember who it was. I've searched through the SW.com databank, but I can't find the quote, nor did I see it in the Art of EIII. Keep in mind, it was not one of the actual conceptual artists utilized for the prequels, but an outside painter who simply provided an inspiration (light to dark) for the production. My other try may be in one of the SW Insider magazines, but I'll have to dig them out of storage.

Thanks!
Pat

EdReedFan20

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone think that anamorphic versions of the original unaltered trilogy will be special features of the eventual Blu-Ray editions? I know that people were up in arms that the DVD originals were non-anamorphic. At the time, I thought people were just complaining to complain. The original originals were finally released on DVD. I thought they should be happy. I was. However, I finally understood it almost 3 years ago when my family bought our first 1080p 16X9 42 Inch HDTV and I watched a non-anamorphic movie. Right then, I completely understood the cries of the fans. The two non-anamorphic movies I own on DVD are Volcano and the Armageddon: The Criterion Collection. Does anyone know if Blu-Ray versions of these are coming out?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I think Steve Sansweet recently mentioned Blu-Ray versions but gave no time frame. I don't expect the anamorphic versions of the originals to be included, but it would be a Blu-Ray player seller if they were.

Can't remember: did the non-anamorphic versions include the "good thing you don't taste good" line and "bring me my ship?" If not, there'll still be some sore spots even if they are included. But, I can live with that disappointment.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Cool. I need to hit my zoom button and watch some OOT soon!

You seem to have your finger on the pulse of most things. Do you think we'll ever see some anamorphic cuts?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you think we'll ever see some anamorphic cuts?
I doubt it but I wouldn't have thought that they'd have released the originals in any form at all on DVD either so what do I know. I love Star Wars in its original form and in its special edition form but my dream is that Lucas will take a tip from Speilberg and the Close Encounters Blu-ray and release a disc with all the various incarnations of each of the movies.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Originally Posted by TravisR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I doubt it but I wouldn't have thought that they'd have released the originals in any form at all on DVD either so what do I know. I love Star Wars in its original form and in its special edition form but my dream is that Lucas will take a tip from Speilberg and the Close Encounters Blu-ray and release a disc with all the various incarnations of each of the movies.
Agreed. Here's hoping...

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
If he'd just give the original trilogy a basic restoration every fan would be happy. He can alter his versions if he'd like, but the fans would still have the original versions in a good quality release. I don't understand (apart from the apparent personal issues) why Lucas wouldn't release the originals while he supports the film preservation of other movies.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Originally Posted by EdReedFan20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone think that anamorphic versions of the original unaltered trilogy will be special features of the eventual Blu-Ray editions? I know that people were up in arms that the DVD originals were non-anamorphic.
By the time SW comes out on BD, even if Lucas relents and provides an anamorphic transfer of the OOT as demanded, in 480i SD, no doubt there will then be lots of complaints about why it isn't in full HD 1080p...

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by EdReedFan20 /forum/thread/212911/official-star-wars-saga-episodes-i-to-vi-discussion-thread-part-4/2700#post_3597935
Does anyone think that anamorphic versions of the original unaltered trilogy will be special features of the eventual Blu-Ray editions? I know that people were up in arms that the DVD originals were non-anamorphic. At the time, I thought people were just complaining to complain. The original originals were finally released on DVD. I thought they should be happy. I was. However, I finally understood it almost 3 years ago when my family bought our first 1080p 16X9 42 Inch HDTV and I watched a non-anamorphic movie. Right then, I completely understood the cries of the fans. The two non-anamorphic movies I own on DVD are Volcano and the Armageddon: The Criterion Collection. Does anyone know if Blu-Ray versions of these are coming out?
Regarding Star Wars on dvd Lucas has never held his word. First he said the original trilogy would never be released on dvd (it did), he said that Episode I would be released on dvd after Ep. III was in theaters (it didn't) and then he said that the trilogy would be released after Ep. III, and that didn;'t happen either.
But then again, if we do get anamorphic releases (or even Blu-rays, I wouldn't be surprised) there's bound to be something wrong with it. The laserdiscs (Definitive) missed a scene, the SE VHS had the pinkish hue, the SE dvd had lightsaber inconsistencies, hue issues and the score channels reversed, and the original trilogy dvd was non-anamorphic. So Lucas can be trusted to never keep his promise, but he always manages to screw it up one way or the other, apparently.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by EdReedFan20 /forum/thread/212911/official-star-wars-saga-episodes-i-to-vi-discussion-thread-part-4/2700#post_3597935
Lucas can always call the originals "workprints" if it makes him feel better. I think releasing the original trilogy(unaltered) on Blu would be a huge, huge advantage in the sales department. As far as I'm concerned, no original included, no sale.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Originally Posted by Brian Borst /forum/thread/212911/official-star-wars-saga-episodes-i-to-vi-discussion-thread-part-4/2700#post_3600413
Regarding Star Wars on dvd Lucas has never held his word. First he said the original trilogy would never be released on dvd (it did), he said that Episode I would be released on dvd after Ep. III was in theaters (it didn't) and then he said that the trilogy would be released after Ep. III, and that didn;'t happen either.
But then again, if we do get anamorphic releases (or even Blu-rays, I wouldn't be surprised) there's bound to be something wrong with it. The laserdiscs (Definitive) missed a scene, the SE VHS had the pinkish hue, the SE dvd had lightsaber inconsistencies, hue issues and the score channels reversed, and the original trilogy dvd was non-anamorphic. So Lucas can be trusted to never keep his promise, but he always manages to screw it up one way or the other, apparently.
In all fairness, the missing scene on the Definitive Collection LD set was fixed for later pressings.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
As I said I’m reading the Making of Star Wars book and I’m near the end. It’s amazing what they did and how much pain ILM suffered to make those revolutionary effects. When you read this book it’s more obvious that it’s necessary to preserve this original version. It’s history, plain and simple.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Sam Davatchi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As I said I’m reading the Making of Star Wars book and I’m near the end. It’s amazing what they did and how much pain ILM suffered to make those revolutionary effects. When you read this book it’s more obvious that it’s necessary to preserve this original version. It’s history, plain and simple.
I agree but it cuts both ways: reading about the history of the movie not only convinced me that the OOT needs to be preserved, but also made me better understand Lucas' desire to get ANH "right" in his eyes.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
I don't know if this has been posted anywhere, but this is a very interesting read on the initial reviews of the OT...

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_wars_episode_ii_attack_of_the_clones/news/1645247/critical_consensus_star_wars_prequels_actually_better_reviewed_than_originals

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Interesting. I think that the single factor that dominates that disparity is the difference in both the number and the expectation of movie critics from 1977-1983 and 1999-2005. But I would be speculating.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
I remember how lukewarm the critical reception was for the two sequels (wow I'm old). The local critics on television and in newspapers really went after both films. Outside of the '77 original, the best reviews a film having Lucas' name anywhere in the credits (as director or producer) were for American Graffiti and Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Something I don't understand. Didn't "ESB making of" book already exist? I thought they are republishing that. This is a completely new book?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks