1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

*** Official STAR WARS Saga (episodes I to VI) Discussion Thread: Part 4

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Robert Crawford, May 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PatWahlquist

PatWahlquist Supporting Actor

Here's an off the wall question/ request: when pre-production began on Episode III, Rick McCallum cited a painter as a source of inspiration for the production. McCallum said this artist started his career using a wide range of colors, but by the time he died, he paintings were almost all black. He mentioned the artists name, but I do not remember who it was. I've searched through the SW.com databank, but I can't find the quote, nor did I see it in the Art of EIII. Keep in mind, it was not one of the actual conceptual artists utilized for the prequels, but an outside painter who simply provided an inspiration (light to dark) for the production. My other try may be in one of the SW Insider magazines, but I'll have to dig them out of storage.

Thanks!
    Pat

2. EdReedFan20

EdReedFan20 Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone think that anamorphic versions of the original unaltered trilogy will be special features of the eventual Blu-Ray editions? I know that people were up in arms that the DVD originals were non-anamorphic. At the time, I thought people were just complaining to complain. The original originals were finally released on DVD. I thought they should be happy. I was. However, I finally understood it almost 3 years ago when my family bought our first 1080p 16X9 42 Inch HDTV and I watched a non-anamorphic movie. Right then, I completely understood the cries of the fans. The two non-anamorphic movies I own on DVD are Volcano and the Armageddon: The Criterion Collection. Does anyone know if Blu-Ray versions of these are coming out?

3. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    I think Steve Sansweet recently mentioned Blu-Ray versions but gave no time frame. I don't expect the anamorphic versions of the originals to be included, but it would be a Blu-Ray player seller if they were.

Can't remember: did the non-anamorphic versions include the "good thing you don't taste good" line and "bring me my ship?" If not, there'll still be some sore spots even if they are included. But, I can live with that disappointment.

4. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Yeah, those lines are on the non-anamorphic DVDs.

5. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    Cool. I need to hit my zoom button and watch some OOT soon!

You seem to have your finger on the pulse of most things. Do you think we'll ever see some anamorphic cuts?

6. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I doubt it but I wouldn't have thought that they'd have released the originals in any form at all on DVD either so what do I know. I love Star Wars in its original form and in its special edition form but my dream is that Lucas will take a tip from Speilberg and the Close Encounters Blu-ray and release a disc with all the various incarnations of each of the movies.

7. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Agreed. Here's hoping...

8. Brian Borst

Brian Borst Screenwriter

If he'd just give the original trilogy a basic restoration every fan would be happy. He can alter his versions if he'd like, but the fans would still have the original versions in a good quality release. I don't understand (apart from the apparent personal issues) why Lucas wouldn't release the originals while he supports the film preservation of other movies.

9. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    By the time SW comes out on BD, even if Lucas relents and provides an anamorphic transfer of the OOT as demanded, in 480i SD, no doubt there will then be lots of complaints about why it isn't in full HD 1080p...

10. Brian Borst

Brian Borst Screenwriter

Regarding Star Wars on dvd Lucas has never held his word. First he said the original trilogy would never be released on dvd (it did), he said that Episode I would be released on dvd after Ep. III was in theaters (it didn't) and then he said that the trilogy would be released after Ep. III, and that didn;'t happen either.
    But then again, if we do get anamorphic releases (or even Blu-rays, I wouldn't be surprised) there's bound to be something wrong with it. The laserdiscs (Definitive) missed a scene, the SE VHS had the pinkish hue, the SE dvd had lightsaber inconsistencies, hue issues and the score channels reversed, and the original trilogy dvd was non-anamorphic. So Lucas can be trusted to never keep his promise, but he always manages to screw it up one way or the other, apparently.

11. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Lead Actor

Lucas can always call the originals "workprints" if it makes him feel better. I think releasing the original trilogy(unaltered) on Blu would be a huge, huge advantage in the sales department. As far as I'm concerned, no original included, no sale.

12. SilverWook

SilverWook Cinematographer

Bill
    In all fairness, the missing scene on the Definitive Collection LD set was fixed for later pressings.

13. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

SamD
    As I said I’m reading the Making of Star Wars book and I’m near the end. It’s amazing what they did and how much pain ILM suffered to make those revolutionary effects. When you read this book it’s more obvious that it’s necessary to preserve this original version. It’s history, plain and simple.

14. Chris Atkins

Chris Atkins Producer

I agree but it cuts both ways: reading about the history of the movie not only convinced me that the OOT needs to be preserved, but also made me better understand Lucas' desire to get ANH "right" in his eyes.

15. TerryRL

TerryRL Producer

I don't know if this has been posted anywhere, but this is a very interesting read on the initial reviews of the OT...

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_wars_episode_ii_attack_of_the_clones/news/1645247/critical_consensus_star_wars_prequels_actually_better_reviewed_than_originals

16. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    Interesting. I think that the single factor that dominates that disparity is the difference in both the number and the expectation of movie critics from 1977-1983 and 1999-2005. But I would be speculating.

17. TerryRL

TerryRL Producer

I remember how lukewarm the critical reception was for the two sequels (wow I'm old). The local critics on television and in newspapers really went after both films. Outside of the '77 original, the best reviews a film having Lucas' name anywhere in the credits (as director or producer) were for American Graffiti and Raiders of the Lost Ark.

18. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Since this made me LOL (mainly after the 2 minute mark), I thought other Star Wars fans would enjoy it:

19. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

20. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

SamD
    Something I don't understand. Didn't "ESB making of" book already exist? I thought they are republishing that. This is a completely new book?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.