What's new

Official STAR WARS Saga Discussion Thread: Part 5 (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I also encourage viewing the 2D Clone Wars series. It’s terrific.

But if it’s good characterization and storytelling you want, and a deeper look at the characters, you can’t go wrong with the Clone Wars (3D) series. Dave Filoni didn’t get promoted to Chief Creative Officer at Lucasfilm for nothing.

Desslar

Screenwriter
Real Name
Stephen
That’s not exactly accurate. The 2D series was comprised of 20 four-minute “micro” episodes followed by 5 twenty-minute longer episodes and they did have dialogue and a plot, serving to bridge Episodes II and III, showing how Anakin went from apprentice to Jedi knight and showing how Palpatine was kidnapped (which leads to the opening sequence of Episode III). It was de-canonized when Lucas put the CGI animated series of the same name into production but it’s still an exciting couple of hours.
Thanks! I guess I forgot about the longer episodes. Or maybe didn't see them? I remember Grievous showing up, but don't remember him talking.

I don't pay too much attention as to what Lucas or Disney think is or isn't canon, which seems arbitrary and motivated by the marketing strategy of the moment. If it's a good story then it counts to me.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It was necessary to decanonize the 2D Clone Wars series so that the newer series had a space to operate in, and that decision went all the way up to George himself.

The 2D series is great, particularly for fans if it’s highly stylized animation, but it is a very closed-ended story that simply doesn’t leave room for other adventures that could have happened between the films. By removing it from canon, that allowed the newer show to be able to tell stories with a fresh slate and not be boxed in from the start.

I also, like you, am more interested in what’s good/what I enjoy rather than having a label assigned to everything, but I only mention the de-canonization to point out that the two different series simply don’t fit together. They’re different stories concerning the same characters and there really isn’t a way to reconcile them, and I’m only throwing that out there into the discussion so that anyone new to those shows hopefully wont get stuck trying to figure out how they fit together when they don’t.

They’re both awesome in their own ways.

Real Name
Tatyana
It was necessary to decanonize the 2D Clone Wars series so that the newer series had a space to operate in, and that decision went all the way up to George himself.

The 2D series is great, particularly for fans if it’s highly stylized animation, but it is a very closed-ended story that simply doesn’t leave room for other adventures that could have happened between the films. By removing it from canon, that allowed the newer show to be able to tell stories with a fresh slate and not be boxed in from the start.

I also, like you, am more interested in what’s good/what I enjoy rather than having a label assigned to everything, but I only mention the de-canonization to point out that the two different series simply don’t fit together. They’re different stories concerning the same characters and there really isn’t a way to reconcile them, and I’m only throwing that out there into the discussion so that anyone new to those shows hopefully wont get stuck trying to figure out how they fit together when they don’t.

They’re both awesome in their own ways.
You can use a popular trail, by the way. Come up with some sort of multiverse and start making a series from scratch.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I like to pretend the Clone Wars lasted 5 or 10 years in the SW universe, since there are so many stories told there.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
The Clone Wars tv show (and the movie) are essential SW viewing in my book. My wife and I went through it all over the course of 2023, and we’ve been going through Rebels now. Still have a season + left of that one. We’ve been holding off watching the live action Ahsoka show until we’re done.

Edit: Hot take - the prequels would have been WAY better if they were rendered in the style of the animated series.

Last edited:

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
-At the time that TPM was released in '99, I was completely aware that Palpatine was Darth Sideous/The Emperor. This was due to the Star Wars OT novelizations. IIRC Palpatine was mentioned (by name) in the ROTJ novel (1983, James Khan) as well as some other literature. However, apparently others who saw TPM were not aware of this ATT - and actually thought that Sideous & Palpatine were two different people. Interesting, given that I thought it was obvious in the movie that they were the same person - even if you hadn't read the '80's literature confirming this.
I'm pretty sure that he was referred to as Emperor Palpatine on the first page of the A New Hope novelization which was released before the movie. It was also obvious because the characters are played by the same actor. It makes me laugh when I see someone on a reaction channel react to TPM and have no idea that they are the same person.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm pretty sure that he was referred to as Emperor Palpatine on the first page of the A New Hope novelization which was released before the movie. It was also obvious because the characters are played by the same actor.
The best I could ever come up with the "Senator Palpatine isn't Emperor Palpatine" thing was that people were expecting a twist. I don't know why they would expect a twist but that's the most sense I could ever make out of it.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Good memory re: Palpatine being referred to specifically by name in the Star Wars: A New Hope novelization (ghost-written by Alan Dean Foster, 1976). Here's a relevant article:

What's interesting about this ANH novel is that it was actually released in November 1976, a full 6 months before the film was released in theaters in May 1977. And, the initial print run actually sold out by February 1977 - also months before the film was released. I had read that Lucasfilm/20th Century Fox really wanted to promote this film ahead of time - and it obviously worked:

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Good memory re: Palpatine being referred to specifically by name in the Star Wars: A New Hope novelization (ghost-written by Alan Dean Foster, 1976). Here's a relevant article:

What's interesting about this ANH novel is that it was actually released in November 1976, a full 6 months before the film was released in theaters in May 1977. And, the initial print run actually sold out by February 1977 - also months before the film was released. I had read that Lucasfilm/20th Century Fox really wanted to promote this film ahead of time - and it obviously worked:

Semi-related: The first two issues of the Marvel comic book adaptation came out before the movie opened and the third issue was out before the wide release of the movie.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I might be the only (or at least exceptionally rare) SW fan who (still) never read any of the books (nor comics) nor checked any of the SW fan sites, etc before TPM, heh... and don't really recall knowing that Palpatine is/becomes the Emperor going into TPM... but yes, by the end of the movie, it seemed pretty clear though -- certainly, the final moment was totally telegraphing that anyway.

I just wasn't ever that interested in reading the books (nor comics)...

_Man_

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I might be the only (or at least exceptionally rare) SW fan who (still) never read any of the books (nor comics) nor checked any of the SW fan sites, etc before TPM, heh... and don't really recall knowing that Palpatine is/becomes the Emperor going into TPM... but yes, by the end of the movie, it seemed pretty clear though -- certainly, the final moment was totally telegraphing that anyway.

I just wasn't ever that interested in reading the books (nor comics)...

_Man_
It doesn't matter if the audience doesn't connect that Palpatine and Darth Sidious are the same person or if they know Palpatine will become the Emperor because the movie lets you know that something is wrong with him (Yoda and Mace's conversation about "which was destroyed, the master or the apprentice?" Cut to Palpatine and sinister music). What's odd to me is the people who thought that the Emperor, Darth Sidious and Palpatine characters weren't the same guy.

Desslar

Screenwriter
Real Name
Stephen
Semi-related: The first two issues of the Marvel comic book adaptation came out before the movie opened and the third issue was out before the wide release of the movie.
Thus the Marvel adaptation includes the deleted scene with Luke's friends.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Richard64
Recent bookmarks