What's new

Official STAR WARS Saga Discussion Thread: Part 5 (4 Viewers)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I forgot to pick up my poster on my way out, doh! (Although let’s be honest, there’s no place for me to put it anyway.)

Bummers.

I actually brought a good size, (lightly) folded plastic poster bag (from a previous reward poster from Disney Movies Insider) to use for it, which happened to work perfectly, especially given the heavy card stock. I considered bringing the cardboard, poster shipping container, but that seemed a tad too unwieldy, especially since it's oversized, triangular shaped instead of typical cylindrical tube (and I planned on stretching my legs some during most/all the various breaks, including getting completely outside at least once or twice) -- woulda been an easier fit (w/ better protection) for the poster though.

They did also provide good rubber bands (that I didn't need) for that to end the marathon, but only at the very end AFAIK -- not sure why they waited til the end.

_Man_

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Our May the 4th started in the morning by watching Star Wars 4K77, a fan made "de-specialized" version of the film. My daughter had never seen this version and I had not see it since pre-1997. The quality was pretty impressive for being fan-made, although some scene were color grade to dark for my taste. When it was over we switch to the official 4K version of A New Hope for some comparisons. My goodness does A New Hope look so good in 4K, the fans did an admirable job with what they had but it doesn't come close to the official release. I have also come to the conclusion that the only special edition change I hate is the Greedo scene. Everything else is just fine and I actually prefer all the new shots in the closing battle.

Then I took my one of my daughters (16) and my son (14) to TPM that afternoon. They have never seen it in theaters and I had not seen it in theaters since 1999 (I never made it to the 3D re-release). The quality was really good and the sound was still incredible. It was fun to see it on a big screen again and the pod race scene still blows me away. 25 years later and I still think it is one of the best sounding movie scenes ever and is still my got to sound demo scene for my HT setup.

I have also come to the conclusion that TPM is my favorite of the prequels. Does it have it's faults, yes, and Jar Jar is annoying most of the time but, it just feels more like a Star Wars movie than the other 2 for me. The pacing is better, the story is more straight forward and it is just more fun. Jake Lloyd is a better actor in this than Hayden in the next 2, I'll die on this hill. It was just a really fun afternoon and I thoroughly enjoyed seeing TPM on the big screen again.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Our May the 4th started in the morning by watching Star Wars 4K77, a fan made "de-specialized" version of the film. My daughter had never seen this version and I had not see it since pre-1997. The quality was pretty impressive for being fan-made, although some scene were color grade to dark for my taste. When it was over we switch to the official 4K version of A New Hope for some comparisons. My goodness does A New Hope look so good in 4K, the fans did an admirable job with what they had but it doesn't come close to the official release. I have also come to the conclusion that the only special edition change I hate is the Greedo scene. Everything else is just fine and I actually prefer all the new shots in the closing battle.

Then I took my one of my daughters (16) and my son (14) to TPM that afternoon. They have never seen it in theaters and I had not seen it in theaters since 1999 (I never made it to the 3D re-release). The quality was really good and the sound was still incredible. It was fun to see it on a big screen again and the pod race scene still blows me away. 25 years later and I still think it is one of the best sounding movie scenes ever and is still my got to sound demo scene for my HT setup.

I have also come to the conclusion that TPM is my favorite of the prequels. Does it have it's faults, yes, and Jar Jar is annoying most of the time but, it just feels more like a Star Wars movie than the other 2 for me. The pacing is better, the story is more straight forward and it is just more fun. Jake Lloyd is a better actor in this than Hayden in the next 2, I'll die on this hill. It was just a really fun afternoon and I thoroughly enjoyed seeing TPM on the big screen again.
We discussed that the acting in the phantom menace is the best of the prequels.

TPM is my favorite of the prequels. Even though it has a slow pace to it. I think part of it is still that 1999 excitement.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
We discussed that the acting in the phantom menace is the best of the prequels.

TPM is my favorite of the prequels. Even though it has a slow pace to it. I think part of it is still that 1999 excitement.
TPM is my favorite prequel as well. I think that is because it is the most George Lucas prequel movie before making some adjustments because of people's hatred of Jar Jar etc. Also the romantic dialogue in AotC on RotS is just way too cringe worthy for me.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
TPM is my favorite prequel as well. I think that is because it is the most George Lucas prequel movie before making some adjustments because of people's hatred of Jar Jar etc. Also the romantic dialogue in AotC on RotS is just way too cringe worthy for me.
Agreed!!

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Our May the 4th started in the morning by watching Star Wars 4K77, a fan made "de-specialized" version of the film. My daughter had never seen this version and I had not see it since pre-1997. The quality was pretty impressive for being fan-made, although some scene were color grade to dark for my taste.
That’s why I prefer Harmy’s despecialized to the 4K77 version. I’ve compared those 2 also to the 2006 non-anamorphic DVD, and IMO Harmy’s and the 2006 version have a better look to the 4K77.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
The romantic stuff in AOTC is one of the big reasons why it is my least favorite SW movie, yes, even more than ROS. I'm also not a huge fan of the Obi-wan storyline in most of AOTC. Just felt too contrived for my taste. Although, it has one of, if not the best musical segways to credits in the franchise. The move from the Imperial March to the love theme to the credits, beautiful. The arrangement of the love theme in that moment is just so powerful.

That’s why I prefer Harmy’s despecialized to the 4K77 version. I’ve compared those 2 also to the 2006 non-anamorphic DVD, and IMO Harmy’s and the 2006 version have a better look to the 4K77.
I might have to check out Harmy's one day.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Although, it has one of, if not the best musical segways to credits in the franchise. The move from the Imperial March to the love theme to the credits, beautiful. The arrangement of the love theme in that moment is just so powerful.
John Williams was the MVP of the prequels. The music that he did for each of those movies (especially the showpieces of Duel Of The Fates, Across The Stars and Battle Of The Heroes) is fantastic and really elevated them.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
John Williams was the MVP of the prequels. The music that he did for each of those movies (especially the showpieces of Duel Of The Fates, Across The Stars and Battle Of The Heroes) is fantastic and really elevated them.
Agreed. I’ve been listening to episode 1 & 2 soundtracks this past week. 3 is ok but I’ve never warmed to it.

Desslar

Screenwriter
Real Name
Stephen
I’m always surprised to see people say AOTC is their least favorite of the films. Anakin’s scenes with Padme and Palpatine are tedious, yes. But, unlike Phantom Menace, there is a series of cracking action scenes, most notably the big battle on Geonosis. And we get to see Yoda spring into action at long last!

I think the film was a step up from TPM, and ROTS continues this progression.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I’m always surprised to see people say AOTC is their least favorite of the films. Anakin’s scenes with Padme and Palpatine are tedious, yes. But, unlike Phantom Menace, there is a series of cracking action scenes, most notably the big battle on Geonosis. And we get to see Yoda spring into action at long last!

I think the film was a step up from TPM, and ROTS continues this progression.
The pacing in clones is better. A lot less senate scenes and behind the scenes political set ups.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Attack Of The Clones is my least favorite of the prequels but the last hour or so of the movie (starting at the scene where Dooku is holding Obi-Wan prisoner) is fantastic.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Saw TPM the other day, and thought it didn't age well visually (meaning some of the CGI characters didn't blend in well). Since I'd already seen Kingdom of POTA earlier, got tired, and left after the pod race.

Desslar

Screenwriter
Real Name
Stephen
The pacing in clones is better. A lot less senate scenes and behind the scenes political set ups.
The one thing about pacing in AOTC that I didn't like is the library scene, where suddenly the film bogs down to try to inject some mystery about the location of the clone factory. This seemed odd as the franchise has never been about mystery solving. Felt like a scene from an Indiana Jones movie.

Of course the Anakin/Padme scenes also stop the film dead in its tracks, but that goes without saying.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I hadn't really seen the prequel trilogy in ages until the marathon (in theater) last weekend... and I found that I hated TPM less and was bothered a bit more by the cringy romantic scenes of the other two. Of course, I also missed the first 15-20min of TPM, which meant I missed a good deal of Jar Jar, heh, so that's probably partly why.

Rewatching them on an immersively big screen definitely did not sell me on the prequel trilogy (in terms of owning them on higher quality discs anyway). So glad I never bothered to upgrade those to 4K disc as the PQ of TPM and even AtoC just wouldn't justify it at all (on top of me not really being a fan of the prequels).

And yeah, I found myself hating RoS more... and maybe on par w/ the prequel trilogy all things considered. I actually hadn't revisited that since the original theatrical run and had somehow forgotten Palpatine was actually (at least imagined/dreamed and/or clearly suspected to be back) from the opening moments -- maybe I was just in denial or something, LOL, but I mostly only remembered him being suddenly back in the final ~40min, heh. :blush: That might make his return (not being limited to the long climactic end) worse than Jar Jar in TPM, LOL. :lol:

_Man_

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I hadn't really seen the prequel trilogy in ages until the marathon (in theater) last weekend... and I found that I hated TPM less and was bothered a bit more by the cringy romantic scenes of the other two. Of course, I also missed the first 15-20min of TPM, which meant I missed a good deal of Jar Jar, heh, so that's probably partly why.

Rewatching them on an immersively big screen definitely did not sell me on the prequel trilogy (in terms of owning them on higher quality discs anyway). So glad I never bothered to upgrade those to 4K disc as the PQ of TPM and even AtoC just wouldn't justify it at all (on top of me not really being a fan of the prequels).

And yeah, I found myself hating RoS more... and maybe on par w/ the prequel trilogy all things considered. I actually hadn't revisited that since the original theatrical run and had somehow forgotten Palpatine was actually (at least imagined/dreamed and/or clearly suspected to be back) from the opening moments -- maybe I was just in denial or something, LOL, but I mostly only remembered him being suddenly back in the final ~40min, heh. :blush: That might make his return (not being limited to the long climactic end) worse than Jar Jar in TPM, LOL. :lol:

_Man_
Aside from phantom id rather watch the newer Star Wars films. The OT are everyone’s favs of course.

Desslar

Screenwriter
Real Name
Stephen

_Man_

Surprising to hear that. I think ROTS is great, about on par with ROTJ (it doesn't have any of the classic human characters, but it also doesn't have any Ewoks). The one thing that really bugs me is the way Anakin suddenly out of the blue kills Padme like a petulant 13 year old. The set-up/execution of that scene was terrible all around.

And then also Vader's ludicrous "Noooo!!" at the end, but I just shut the film off after the duel ends, so that isn't a problem.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Surprising to hear that. I think ROTS is great, about on par with ROTJ (it doesn't have any of the classic human characters, but it also doesn't have any Ewoks). The one thing that really bugs me is the way Anakin suddenly out of the blue kills Padme like a petulant 13 year old. The set-up/execution of that scene was terrible all around.

And then also Vader's ludicrous "Noooo!!" at the end, but I just shut the film off after the duel ends, so that isn't a problem.

I meant Rise of Skywalker, not Revenge of the Sith, heh.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LynPaulFan1961
    Recent bookmarks