What's new

Official STAR WARS Saga Discussion Thread: Part 5 (1 Viewer)

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Believe it or not, I'm teaching a whole college course on the Star Wars saga next semester. Books we are using include: Star Wars and Philosophy: More Powerful than You can Possibly Imagine, Star Wars and History, and How Star Wars Conquered the Universe. We'll also have lots of books, like the Making of Star Wars Books, on reserve.

I'm a freak, in that I actually like the prequels. Sort of. Since I'm a teacher, here are my grades....

I Phantom Menace: B+

II Attack of the Clones: B

II Revenge of the Sith: B

IV A New Hope: A+

V Empire Strikes Back: A+

VI Return of the Jedi: A-

VII The Force Awakens: B (??) I loved the two new characters, Rey and Finn, but I had problems with a lot of the rest of it.

As a whole, is there grade inflation here? Yes. I'm not a terribly tough grader. And obviously a huge fan of the series.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Tino said:
So it's tied for last place?? Yikes. [emoji33]

A solid B means a very good movie! Maybe when I see it the second time my rating for it will go up....

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
benbess said:
A solid B means a very good movie! Maybe when I see it the second time my rating for it will go up....
I agree. But by your ratings it's tied for last. [emoji12]

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
benbess said:
Believe it or not, I'm teaching a whole college course on the Star Wars saga next semester. Books we are using include: Star Wars and Philosophy: More Powerful than You can Possibly Imagine, Star Wars and History, and How Star Wars Conquered the Universe. We'll also have lots of books, like the Making of Star Wars Books, on reserve.

I'm a freak, in that I actually like the prequels. Sort of. Since I'm a teacher, here are my grades....
If your class has an open mind with the prequels, they may actually end up enjoying them.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
I would rank the series V, IV, VI, III, II, I, VII. I had such a bad reaction to TFA, similar to when I first saw Man of Steel but worse. I liked MOS better on repeat viewings, maybe the same thing will happen with this...

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Has anyone wondered or answered how Leia ended up a princess and Luke ended up as a peasant working for his poor old aunt and uncle on a farm herding Nerf's or whatever the harck he was doing?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Alderaan must've had a monarchy, so Leia was adopted by royalty.

Luke was adopted by peasants.

Bail Organa really wanted a girl, and Yoda decided the other baby should be raised by family.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Since a "Bail Antilles" was mentioned in The Phantom Menace, I've always assumed that "Bail" is an honorific rather than a first name. Perhaps there were a handful of hereditary lords on Alderaan from prominent families, and their immediate children were entitled to be called "Prince" or "Princess".

I always figured that the Captain Antilles of the ship at the beginning of Episode IV was a poor relation of the Bail Antilles from The Phantom Menace. Not sure where or if Wedge plays into that scenario.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
TonyD said:
Has anyone wondered or answered how Leia ended up a princess and Luke ended up as a peasant working for his poor old aunt and uncle on a farm herding Nerf's or whatever the harck he was doing?
I could have sworn the end of Revenge of The Sith explained all of that? ;)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm about two-thirds of the way through my third complete listen of the Force Awakens score, though I've been sampling tracks here and there in between. Has there been any word yet whether John Williams will be back for Episode VIII? I'm sure Nathan Johnson would pay requisite homage to Williams's established themes, open the film with the Main Title theme and close with the End Credits theme. He'd likely even bring interesting new textures to the score that aren't in Williams's toolbox. But when a master at the top of his game is 7/9ths of the way through his magnum opus, you stay the course unless or until the finish line becomes impossible to cross.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks