What's new

Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (2005) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Question...

I read somewhere that Liam Neeson
would have a cameo in this film
appearing through the force as a
ghost to Kenobi.

This is obviously mentioned by Yoda
at the end of the film, but it's
interesting to see they either cut
the scene out or it was never intended
to be filmed in the first place.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Chuck, I wasn't all that impressed with the sound in our theater last night, either. Maybe that's because I was sitting closer to the side, but the surrounds didn't get much of a work out, and the overall volume could have been a bit louder too.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

The awkward steps I didn't have a problem with. As you say, your first few steps are going to be difficult with new legs. The dialogue was what hurt the scene for me.

As for Anakin/Padme, I thought the dialogue between them was infinately better than AOTC. There were really no 'cringe' moments for me at all there.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Yep, I read that too, Ron. I was disappointed that Qui-Gon didn't show up. When Yoda told Obi-Wan that he had another assignment for him, I thought for sure Jinn was returning. Instead the scene seemed like a rush to tie that loose end. Just a minor complaint from me. I too would like to know if the scene was cut or never filmed at all.

KyleC

Supporting Actor

I feel the same way, I wonder if that's just the way the print is. I even left for a sec to complain that the surrounds were not on.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member

Agreed, and I actually liked the moments they shared together. Other than the three lines of dialogue that Ron mentions in the post directly below this, I wouldn't have changed anything.

Given what happens in ROTS, though, I think it would make sense for Lucas to reinsert the scenes with Padme's family in AOTC.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I need to step back in here only
to give my prediction for the most
laughable film dialogue of the year...

"You're so beautiful"
"That's only because I'm so in love"
"No, it's because I'm so in love with you"

Can you just imagine Lucas sitting in
his easy chair thinking up this kind of
stuff?

Sorry for the intrusion -- just thought
you guys might enjoy a little chuckle.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas

What specifically, Bryan? When that scene played out I have to admit it was awkward to see Vader emoting as much as he did. It almost seemed unnatural.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Another complaint I had about our showing was a)It was to quiet, wanted to go turn the volume knob up myself, and b)The brightness was way to dark, I had a very difficult time making out some scenes. I don't remember clones having the same problem, I wonder if they just didn't calibrate the machine correctly. Well I guess that is two complaints.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Ron, I thought that dialogue was a little too mushy for me, but when people are in love they say things that sound silly. Gosh I think of some of the things I have said to past girlfriends and I have to ask "what the hell was I thinking? That sounded ridiculous."

It's interesting you bring that topic up. I was just discussing movie dialogue with a co-worker who is about to see ROTS.

It's sometimes hard to pinpoint exactly but sometimes what appears to be bad writing is actually bad acting. Take the infamous line spoken by Storm (Halle Berry) in X-Men:

Absolutely a terrible line, but Joss Whedon stated he intended that line to be a smart-ass comment rather than being so matter-of-factly. That particular instance you can blame either the director or the actor, although some will blame Whedon's writing.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
TedT said this in his review post:

I agree, and it's a horse I'm going to ride pretty hard in this thread. :D

Hayden, Natalie, Ewan, Ian AND, I think, SLJ were more convincing in ROTS than in the previous films.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
My theater featured some nice bass from the get-go.

I thought the video presentation to be a little soft on the print I saw last night.

Most of the "intimate" scenes between Anakin and Padme did not deliver anything remotely resembling a love story unfolding, the folks in attendance at my showing got bored by all the stilted dialogue going on. Bring on the cringe.

The scenes between Anakin and Palpatine featured the separation between good dialogue delivery (Palpatine) and not-so-good dialogue delivery (Anakin).

Most of the other Jedis went so underdeveloped (besides Yoda, Obi-wan, and Anakin). Mace was more a plot device, than a good character. Perhaps a victim of too much spectacle, and not enough characterization.

Does anyone else think Hayden looks like what Uma Thurman's brother could look like?

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Patrick, I guess if you want to compare the acting in ROTS to an Oscar caliber film, then I see your point. But if you are comparing ROTS to other Star Wars films, then ROTS shines in acting, dialogue and delivery.

Do you really think there was anything in ROTS as bad as most of Jake Lloyd, the fireplace scene, or "I truly, deeply love you"?

Darren_N

Stunt Coordinator
Hello all,

Caught a midnight show last night. Thought it was great. Need to digest a little before I can truly rank it with the others but right now, I'd put it at a solid 3rd place, maybe tied for 2nd. Will be seeing it again on Friday.

One thing that did bother me was the story about Darth Plagius (sic) and how one of his powers was the ability to manipulate midichlorians to create life. So does this mean that he created Anakin? Or did he teach the power to his apprentice (Sidious) who in turn did it? Either way, it seems they would have had to rely on a lot of luck and coincidence just to find Anakin - i.e. he's born on Tatooine, Jedi happen to stop there and find him, etc. Or was Plagius/Sidious able to foresee all that happening? Just seems like a lot of coincidences had to happen.

Also, I assume Sidious just used Sifo Dyas's name to order the clones but what about Darth Tyrannus? Was that just another name Sidious went by or were they 2 different people?

Darren

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
While I didn't hate SLJ as much last night, his acting wasn't better. I think his character is terribly handled. Ewan and Ian weren't better...just better featured. Hayden and Natalie were noticeably improved, though.

The rest of the actors stepped it up. I'd say it was the second best acted in the Saga. That said, I wouldn't ride the dialogue when comparing this to other films...just other SW films.

The dialogue Ron posted is truly terrible, and was the nadir of the film, but I understood the point of it, because it juxtaposed with the scene immediately thereafter, Anakin's first vision of Padme. It's a set up of cheesy romance for something darker. It's still a crappy set of lines.

Take care,
Chuck

FredK

Second Unit
I can't say enough about Hayden's performance, he really surprised me both with his delivery and emotion. The other actors were all great, but even in the scenes with Ian I felt Hayden carried his part well.

Because of the performances, I felt the 2nd act was excellent and will hold up well on further viewings.

^ I felt Ewan was much better, I've felt he's been mailing it in a bit, especially somewhat in AotC.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I've got to head out of here but wanted to comment on what OBW says to Anakin at the end:

I loved You!
Damn. That's nearly making me choke up right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks