What's new

Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones (2002) (1 Viewer)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Yah...it's more in regards to the critics they use. Over in the big-ass thread, we've counted somewhere aroudn 80 good reviews compared to 20 negative. Even with a good margin of error, the film is nowhere near negative. Another promising fact is that even in most of the negative reviews, the critic says that it's better than TPM.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Yah...it's more in regards to the critics they use. Over in the big-ass thread, we've counted somewhere aroudn 80 good reviews compared to 20 negative. Even with a good margin of error, the film is nowhere near negative.
Also note that while some reviews that are mixed that we counted as positive (Chicago Tribune comes to mind), Rotten Tomatoes has counted as negative. And even so, it's only 1% away from Fresh.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Yah...but there are actually 2 Chicago Trib reviews. One from Mark Caro (Negative) and one from Michael Wilmington (Positive).

But...I get what you're saying.

Damian James

Stunt Coordinator
I just want to pipe up and say damn the reviews, I feel like a kid who can't wait for Christmas morning to get here. Going to see this movie will feel like opening a present!

JohnE

Supporting Actor
I just want to pipe up and say damn the reviews, I feel like a kid who can't wait for Christmas morning to get here. Going to see this movie will feel like opening a present!
Could not have put it better. If possible I am more excited about Ihis movie than I was about Ep 1. I have no idea why, but i'm just about foaming at the mouth.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
I must admit that I too had a problem with the title of this one at first, however with time, it's grown on me and I don't mind it so much anymore.
I've never understood why anyone has ever had a problem with this title. There must be something I'm missing. From the first time I heard it, I drooled in anticipation of the "Clone Wars" - so exciting! It fits in perfectly with the other titles. It's descriptive, retro and very cool. I love it!

(edited because I'm a dip)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
The big E has seen a digital AOTC...
and here is what he has to say.
An interesting read. One highlight I agreed with (it had little to do with the quality of the movie):
"It is important to understand that "Episode II" is essentially an animated film with humans added to it. This is the flip side of "Who Framed Roger Rabbit," which was a live-action film with cartoon characters laid on top. Most of the non-human screen images on "Episode II," and some of the characters (Yoda, Jar-Jar Binks), are created entirely by computers. Even in scenes dominated by humans, the backgrounds and locations are often entirely computer-generated."
He also discusses how CGI has effected SFX...especially since all Oscar-winning effects pics these days have considerable amounts of CGI...that's what we compare.
And no, he didn't like the movie much better...but he thinks it certainly looks better.
Take care,
Chuck

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
"And no, he didn't like the movie much better...but he thinks it certainly looks better."

I didn't see any comments about him liking it less or more in the article. He just focused on the special effects.

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
Ebert Prefers Digital Clones
Tue, May 14, 02 09:50:10 AM EDT
Roger Ebert has seen Episode II digitally and admits it's superior to the projected version he'd seen a few days prior. However he still has qualms about Lucas changing the status quo of a digital hollywood. From the Chicago Sun Times:
After seeing the new ''Star Wars'' movie projected on film, I wrote that the images had "a certain fuzziness, an indistinctness that seemed to undermine their potential power." But I knew the film had been shot on digital video, and that George Lucas believed that it should preferably be seen, not on film, but projected digitally. Sunday I was able to see the digital version, and Lucas is right: "Star Wars: Episode II--Attack of the Clones" is sharper, crisper, brighter and punchier on digital than on film.
This will come as melancholy news, I suppose, to the vast majority of fans destined to see the movie through a standard film projector. Although an accurate count is hard to come by, there are apparently about 20 screens in America showing "Episode II" via digital projector, and about 3,000 showing it on film. Lucas is so eager to promote his vision of the digital future that he is willing to penalize his audience, just to prove a point.
But he does prove the point. On Sunday, I returned to Chicago's McClurg Court Cinemas, where I had seen "Episode II" on film the previous Tuesday. On Wednesday, technicians from Boeing Digital Cinema swooped down on the theater to install a new Texas Instruments digital projector, and that's how I saw the film a second time--sitting in almost exactly the same seat.
Watching it on film, I wrote, "I felt like I had to lean with my eyes toward the screen in order to see what I was being shown." On digital, the images were bright and clear. Since the movie was being projected on film on another McClurg screen (both screenings were part of a charity benefit for Metropolitan Family Services), I slipped upstairs, watched a scene on film and then hurried downstairs to compare the same scene on video. The difference was dramatic: more detail, more depth, more clarity
http://www.theforce.net/episode2/index.html

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks