What's new

*** Official STAR WARS DVD Glitch Thread (1 Viewer)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
At 1:27:12 in ESB, the image shrinks. I'm guessing this is a camera lens adjustment, or an error in the frame-by-frame processing.

EDIT: I told my friend about this, and he says that's the result of the macro lens changing the focus from Leia to Lando.

RodneyT

Stunt Coordinator

me too.....:frowning:

I have noticed no glitches with any of the three films, but now that i have heard about this reversed audio in ANH, i will go back tomorrow and check it out.......

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I did watch episode 4 in the 5.1 soundtrack. I now know what everyone is complaining about. its a different audio/change mix for star wars. I did notice many new changes both good and bad. Overall I thought the mix was good.. I notice more change in the sound then say superman. superman had a better new remix. its a different kind of movie.. star wars still seem big with the soundtrack and audio, and still kept its low budget theme. I think the people that complained about the sound for jaws, superman, terminator 1 (SE) will complain about this track. its more or less the same thing. Like it or not.

JACOB

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I don't know if this is a DVD glitch or not, so feel free to move/delete this post.

Watched ANH last night, and one thing that jumped out at me was the TIE battle during the falcon escape. There were a couple of shots of the fighters where there were green boxes that were very visible around the TIEs. These are obviously artifacts leftover from the effects work, but weren't all of these supposed to be removed? I can't go back to my VHS and confirm, but if these are new, then this would certainly constitute a "glitch" to me.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike

Yes. I reported that here a week ago. Why it was deleted, I don't know. I also posted it in the main thread.

Mike

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Well, I hope I don't get thrown off for this, but the orchestra IS reversed in the rear channels for the entire film, which gives a listnere a very whacko sound field, to put it mildly. Lukas folks are saying there is no problems, which proves that certain things still come by the shit load.

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
I have not seen Star Wars in quite a long time so I dont know if its just like this or not, but I detected some sibliance and some harshness in the soundtrack at times, one example is Luke's dialogue early in chapter 9.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
This has been reported on DVD Talk forum, as well, and is apparently effecting only "A New Hope". Specifically, the score is reversed in the rear channels (or perhaps the front channels - at any rate the front does not match the rear!).

This isn't a glitch. This is a major feck-up that should constitute a recall.

When Criterion released "The Magic Flute", the first pressing had the audio channels reversed. Note that this defect wasn't quite as bad as the one on "A New Hope", as the front and rear channels were both reversed on "The Magic Flute" (although there was also directional panning of the singing, and this was fairly obvious at certain points). But Criterion admitted the problem, corrected it on the second pressing, and exchanged all discs through Jon Mulvaney's New York office (that is, they didn't send you back to the retailer with your sob story about "reversed channels" seeking a refund).

Will Lucas/Fox do the same? They damn well should.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member

I noticed this too and posed the same question to my roomate. He has 8 different sets of the OT (6 VHS, 1 bootleg DVD and these), and he said that it's been there on all of his copies of the movie.

Our conclusion was that Lucas and Co. tried to fix it and screwed up the shot to the point that it was unusable and just decided to leave it in.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I noticed in ANH about 5 times within the first hour quick jumps or skips. I'll watch it once more to see if it repeats and if so I'll make an exchange.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor

Sorry, but there are a lot of garbage mattes that are now all too visible because of the extra detail in the transfers. I spotted loads in Empire that I'd never seen before, and it's obvious that LFL have not bothered to remove them this time around. Doesn't constitute a glitch to me.

Rick CHO

Grip

I didn't have any stops with first disc or documentary on a Sony 755.......is sounds like a similar problem I had playing multilayer discs a couple of years ago on an ancient Toshiba (which was top of the line when I bought it)

;)

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member

You guys using calibrated sets or displays? Digital Video Essentials or even the THX Optimizer on the discs? I've found that even on the VHS copies, 99 percent of the mattes are completely invisible if the contrast and brightness settings are dialed in correctly. I haven't seen a single matte on this set yet.

I hope I'm not stepping on toes or being condescending or anything. All apologies if that's how I come off.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
Robert, I use both DVE and the THX Optimizer menu, and those mattes are very visible to me. Even though these new transfers are much darker than what I'm used to, I can see garbage mattes that I never noticed before. Maybe it is a case of lowering the brightness even further, but on my plasma that would obliterate so much of the shadow detail it would ruin the picture!

MatS

Screenwriter
Chapter 27 of ANH where Luke starts his saber training exercise on the Falcon
at the spot when Han walks in my player skipped and then jumped to the beginning of the movie

played back that chapter a few times and on a couple occasions it skipped and on others it was fine

playing on a Sony (forgot model)

Matthew Marino

Stunt Coordinator
Did anyone notice when they show the Tusken Raider mounting the Bantha there seems to be a bad edit in the soundtrack? This occurred when it cuts to a shot of the guy running off a small cliff onto the Bantha's back. I am at work so I can't give a time code now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks