What's new

*** Official Star Trek Films Discussion (1 Viewer)

Joel H

Auditioning
I never wanted to make this into a I Hate Picard Posting. I really like the old bald guy. Really....

Best Next Gen Movie: Best of Both Worlds - Part One & Two. But I think it was Riker's Kirkness that really saved the day, c'mon...he was thinking outside the box and decided to go against everything he was taught & engaged in some unorthodox manuevers to save the day. How Jim is that?!?

Generations: Sorry, couldn't enjoy it - especially after the last episode was so well done. You could tell that they didn't have their hearts into this one....and Kirk, well it was amazing how much fun the intro scenes were...then everything went downhill from there.

First Contact: I love this movie, it is up there with Khan & it deserves to be. The fun and excitement of the series is back and even though the massive changes within the Borg were drastic, I truly enjoyed this for what it was - plus the Defiant got to go at it, what's not to like?

Insurrection: Sorry, this was an episode on a film budget and unfortunately looked that way. Too many holes in the script, too drastic, too fast (sure the Federation Council said this was a good idea...yeah, and I have a Ferengi Womens Clothing store to sell ya). Next Generation is best served when Berman has little to do with the script. Sorry but he is driving me crazy.

And not to go off subject too far - but the BEST Captain (after Jim Kirk of course) wasn't Picard, it was Benjamin Sisko!

How ya like dem apples?

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
To sort of get back to the original topic: I was wondering if it is even possible to create a movie with a real "movie" feel from a TV series? While there are some classic movies that have a true "movie / epic" feel, most movies are just bigger budget TV movies, if that good. As another example, how about Dune. Forget the comparisons between which version you prefer relative to the book, other than special effects I thought the mini-series was every bit as good as the movie but on a slightly lesser scale. If the mini-series had come out first, or they remade Dune for the 3rd time as a movie, I don't think it would feel anything other than a bigger budget version of the mini-series to me. What a Battlestar Galactica. It was made for TV but was also released as a movie in other countries. I could go on with countless examples but those suffice.
To me Star Trek I and II make the leap to full movie status but the rest are just 2-hour TV episodes or slightly better (Star Trek IV and VI).
Chuck Anstey

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I've seen all the Star Trek movies in the cinema, and on pure spectacle nothing beats the much maligned Star Trek The Motion Picture, it still has the best effects of the series IMO, and the most epic feel, VGer must easily be the largest alien ship/entity in movie history, our Solar System can fit inside VGer quite comfortably.
It also has the best music score, I agree it is slow moving, but that adds to the feel of the movie, I've seen ST-TMP more times than any of the others.
The fan favorite is Wrath of Khan and I have no problems with that, an excellent Trek movie, made memorable by Ricardo Montalban's villainous Khan Noonian Singh (I really hope they include Space Seed with the SE DVD).
First Contact is my favorite of the Next Generation movies, fast moving, creepy and hugely enjoyable, the Borg are very effective Trek villains, but not as much fun as the Trek movie Klingons.
Star Trek Nemesis looks like it could be one of the best Treks and I'm really looking forward to seeing another even-numbered Trek.:)

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
As another example, how about Dune. Forget the comparisons between which version you prefer relative to the book, other than special effects I thought the mini-series was every bit as good as the movie but on a slightly lesser scale.
Oh please. The actors in the miniseries couldn't hold the jockstrap of those in the movie. Just about every scene common between the two was much better in the movie than it was in the miniseries. While I respect what the miniseries was trying to do, the actors involved weren't up to the task.

This comming from someone who isn't the hugest fan of the film.

Anyways, it is immaterial to the subject at hand, since Dune was never a TV series first.

Jason

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I was wondering if it is even possible to create a movie with a real "movie" feel from a TV series?
It must be harder than we think, and for two reasons:

1) Series developed to television have many television-oriented limitations built into them, making it harder to transition to the feature film format.

2) The same writers, producers and actors who ran the show on TV end up running the show on the silver screen, but with the same made-for-TV instincts.

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
I agree with Steve on TMP being the most "epic" & having the best musical score...but the best special effects? Not a chance.

Almost all of the Trek films have some good highlights,& many of them hold up over time.

Personally,my favorite is ST 6. Sulu finally gets his chance to shine in a great supporting role.

I just hope Nemesis will end up being better than Insurrection.

Calvin

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I am just itchin' the get into this thread. And I will when I get some time.

Meanwhile, I still think Khan is the best in the film series so far. I've been following Trek ever since September, 1966. And in all that time, I believe the single best outing for Trek of all time is TNG's fifth-season classic, "The Inner Light." It won a Hugo Award for best dramatic presentation in SF that year. For good reason.

That single episode brought it all home for me. In my opinion, it is Star Trek at its hopeful, optimistic best--better than any of the features, and better than just about any of the episodes.

I'll rejoin this thread soon.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Well, Dune the TV epic is far better than the boring film. Kyle Mclaughlan, ugh!

Star Trek VI was one of the funniest of the Star Trek films. That's one reason I really liked it. I thought the story was good too. Wrath of Kahn was very good as well, and Mantalban was so great in that role. I haven't even seen Insurrection yet, but isn't that the one with F. Murray Abraham as the bad guy? I like his work as an actor.

Joel H

Auditioning
From the Digital Bits:

Thought we'd finish the week on one last Star Trek note. A lot of people have been asking us what to expect after Paramount finishes up with the last season of The Next Generation on DVD in December. Well... if you're laying a wager with your friends, put your money on Deep Space Nine in 2003. ;-)

Ah yes, life is good.

My Favorite is still Wrath of Khan, if only for the memories of how much FUN it was. And that is usually what it is all about. Have a great weekend.

And Jack, my favorite ST episode would probably be from DS9 - The Visitor, sorry though Inner Light is great...this has the markings of truly magnificent Sci-fi.....

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I agree Jack that The Inner Light was one of the best NG episodes ever. I also particularly liked Cause And Effect and The Best Of Both Worlds. Many of the NG episodes would have made great feature films for sure.
Regarding Wrath Of Khan, that particular Trek adventure has the distinction of being the biggest crowd pleaser, IMO. Countless times during the film, cheers erupted from the audience. More than any of the other films. I can't tell you what a pleasure that was to hear being a huge Star Trek fan.:)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Hey, and I loved "The Visitor," too!

Well, Tino, most of what I know about Nemesis comes from you. Though it already has its detractors on the Internet, it sounds as if it good be as good as if not better than Khan. We shall see. I more hopeful about this feature than any since, well, I don't know when.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The Visitor, IMO, is the best DS9 episode by far and in the top 5 of any Star Trek series.
As for Nemesis, I know a lot of people are trashing it, saying it sounds like a retread of WOK, but if you read the synopsis of the script (which I have unsuccessfully tried to provide a link to:frowning: ) you will see that although it does have a few similarities, it is really unlike any film before it, IMO.
I know a lot changes in the transition from page to screen, but I have confidence that NEMESIS will be one of the best Trek's ever.:)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
You know my favorite DS9 episode? "For the Uniform." For some reason, that one really does it for me. And Dax was at her best in that one.

I also can't believe the typos in my previous post.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of Best of Both Worlds, wouldn't it be nice if they released it on one disc after the box sets are done? It is currently split across two season boxes.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
'The Inner Light', great episode and rather sad, but not my favorite NG episode, that goes to 'Best of Both Worlds', an absolutely incredible two-parter with my favorite cliffhanger of any series, Picard/Locutus: "I am Locutus of Borg. Resistance is futile...", Riker: "Mr.Worf... Fire!" [TO BE CONTINUED], great stuff!
From the original classic Trek 'City on the Edge of Forever', by Harlan Ellison has always been my favorite.
Ok back to Trek Movies, the visual effects of ST-TMP still seem far superior and more eyepopping than any of the other Trek movies IMO, the voyage thru VGer had incredible visuals (2001's Douglas Trumbull was one of the visual effects supervisors), all the other Trek movies had the same clean sharp ILM effects we've come to expect, well apart from Final Frontier which had some really shoddy effects (not by ILM).
The new Trek 'Nemesis' will most prob have all cgi effects, nice but having a huge detailed model of a spaceship moving slowly pass the camera has more grandeur, weight and size to it than a cgi ship IMO, look at the huge Klingon battle cruiser at the start of ST-TMP as it glides by the camera and imagine it as a cgi effect, it just wouldn't be as effective, well not to me, oh well wait and see.:)

Todd Phillips

Second Unit
Speaking of Best of Both Worlds, wouldn't it be nice if they released it on one disc after the box sets are done? It is currently split across two season boxes.
I agree. I would love to have it, but I am not as interested in the entire seasons surrounding it.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
A lot of how I feel about the past Trek films have been stated here, so I won't regurgitate much :).
Star Trek: TMP. Underrated - severely. Post-Star Wars expectations. Had Star Wars never been released, well, this movie would have ruled.
Star Trek III. Weak.
Star Trek IV. The joke that ran too long. The crew of the Enterprise become complete morons. Earth or not, they didn't handle this situation as I would have expected them to. More plot holes you can fill Golden Gate Park with.
Star Trek: First Contact. Excellent, but why tell Cochrane about all this future stuff? Didn't anyone expect him to freak out? Minor nitpick, but it bugs me. "There's a statue of you over there". Oh really?
Mike

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Steve
Nice to see that you agree with me completely in regard to The Motion Picture's epic status, visual effects being the best, music etc....The most underated Trek film of the bunch.
The first shot of the Enterprise as Kirk approaches it in the shuttlecraft, for a Star Trek fan that till that point had only seen it on TV, was spectacular. Contrary to many, I absolutely love that sequence.
I would love to see that film on the BIG screen just one more time!:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks