What's new

*** Official STAR TREK (2009) Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
^^^

The good news? He's already played someone other than Kirk in Trek. :)

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
I don't really think there's room for a 'traditional' Shatner appearance anymore. For something like that unused ending, the time for that has passed. So getting old Kirk to appear would almost certainly involve time travel, and ironically everyone clamoring for Shatner is also dead set against another time travel story.

They could do something like "The Deadly Years," which I would find fun, but I can't imagine it not coming off as completely contrived. And I don't think Shatner would be able to pull off Pine's Kirk either.

BTW, I watched 'deadly years the other day. Really stupid TOS episode.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
The Phase II fan series did a sequel to that episode, with Walter Koeing playing the prematurely aged Chekov.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Shatner playing an older version of Chris Pine's Kirk is a possibility but as already stated, involves some form of time travel and really if Shatner is to appear, would anything but him reprising his Kirk suffice?

The moment seems to have passed for Shatner to appear to me.

Unless the new crew ended up in the Prime Timeline for some reason......

Thanks for mentions - been over in the HDTV thread for the most part. Finding most of the more engaging entertainment is on TV these days.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Sorry if this has been discussed. But, was it ever explained anywhere (movie, commentary,etc) why Nero decided to destroy Vulcan? I mean if he was so devestated by the destruction of Romulus and the death of his wife & child. He had a time machine. Why not go back and save them? I really enjoyed the film. But, this part I just never understood.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Todd,

Because Nero blames Spock for failing to stop the Super Nova in time before it destroyed Romulas. The Super Nova, and thus the rocky science in my mind, expanded faster then expected and Spock was not able to stop it in time. Because Vulcan was part of the Federation, Nero was determined to have his vengeance against Federation planets too, so his next target was Earth.

The rocky science I felt was whether a Super Nova would be big enough to threaten the Universe. The Universe is kinda big! And all Federation planets are probably pretty far apart.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
On the other hand I guess the old slingshot around a star approach was not well known outside of the original Enterprise crew. But it is more than just time travel at work in the movie, there is also jumping/creating an alternate time line.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
Indeed, the Narada and Spock's time travel was essentially a tear in space/time, a result of Trek Magic. Similar to the way the Enterprise-C traverses time in Yesterday's Enterprise.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
My mistake on the time machine. But, even so. Nero has 70(?) years to either fix the problem or evacuate the planet.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Right, so he doesn't need to do anything about that right away.

But he does want to destroy the Federation so Romulus never has to deal with their (in his opinion) aggression/betrayal.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Sean Bryan

Right, so he doesn't need to do anything about that right away.

But he does want to destroy the Federation so Romulus never has to deal with their (in his opinion) aggression/betrayal.
Or get yourself & crew killed and your ship destroyed. :D

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Interesting, if we never saw Space Seed, would we have been as understanding of Khan's desire for revenge? There's one scene that explains his motivation in ST 2, but we already knew the back story of Khan.

Nero is very much a copy of Khan.He wants revenge for the death of his wife. He's got his Genesis device too, opps, read matter.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
^^^

Or ... Reed matter, for that matter.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Scott! double opps on the Red Matter typo! I was typing and eating, not a good thing.

That was a funny use of word play in Enterprise, Reed Alert!

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
Originally Posted by Nelson Au /forum/thread/287578/official-star-trek-2009-discussion-thread/540#post_3634354

Your right Nero is Khan & most of the movie villains were some form of Khan. Which makes me wonder why some fanboys want to see Khan yet again in the new movies. Its been done to death.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Originally Posted by Nelson Au

Scott! double opps on the Red Matter typo! I was typing and eating, not a good thing.
That was a funny use of word play in Enterprise, Reed Alert!

Nelson,

I thought what you wrote was very clever, actually. The word can sound like both 'red' and 'read', which got me to thinking about Lt. Reed.

Brad M

Second Unit
Originally Posted by Nelson Au /forum/thread/287578/official-star-trek-2009-discussion-thread/540#post_3634354

I was very familiar with Trek 2 before I saw Space Seed. Worked for me. :) In fact, I was dissappointed in Khan in Space Seed because he seemed too nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks