*** Official "STANDING IN THE SHADOWS OF MOTOWN" Review Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Robert Crawford, Nov 29, 2002.

1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "Standing in the Shadows of Motown". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.
    Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!
    If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.
    Crawdaddy

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Watching this documentary was one of the most pleasant movie-going experiences I've had in several years. As a kid growing up in the 1960's and early 1970's, the Motown music was a big part of my exposure and appreciation to pop music. Watching this film was like reliving my youth all over again. I can't remember smiling so much while watching any film, nevertheless, a documentary. If this film is playing in your area and you're a fan of music then don't deprived yourself of enjoying a film not just about music, but about the men that played it. I'll offer more of my comments at a later time.

Crawdaddy

3. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

The year 2002 saw two films that chronicled the electrifying years of history’s musical transformation. The first was Michael Winterbottom’s 24 Hour Party People – a recreation of the music and dance heritage of Manchester between 1976 and 1992. The other is Paul Justman’s Standing In The Shadows of Motown – a documentary of the Funk Brothers and their years working with various artists for Motown between 1959 and early 1970’s, which is now currently out on DVD.
    The film reunites former members of the Funk Brothers in Detroit. Among others, it uses archival footage and re-creation scenes to tell their story. It also contains twelve new live performances of contemporary artists singing Motown classics with the Funk Brothers providing the back up music. This, in itself, is worth the price of the DVD.
    This era in music is one of the defining moments in pop music. The Funk Brothers is a collection of talented performers doing what they do best. Standing In The Shadows Of Motown does a superb job in profiling the band and its members through time and the music, which to this day, remains highly influential.
    ~Edwin

4. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Admittedly it was the DVD's tech specs that lured me to this purchase, and then there was the $12 shipped price on DDD.com. After finding out the BMW films were DVD-ROM only and the WM9 encoding of this movie was nothing impressive I finally watched through the entire flick.

Very informative to say the least. I loved how the musicians said it was the music that made the songs so memorable, NOT the singers. And to prove it they threw in other singers like Joan Osbourne as well as some unknowns to old Motown hits. The result was very cool; it is the music that's the backbone of these songs and not just a great voice.

And the DTS is top-notch! One of the purest and most instrument intensive tracks and on my equipment I was hard pressed to tell of any noticeable compression compared to a 44/16 pcm recording.