What's new

Spider-Man 2 (2004) (1 Viewer)

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
This was a pretty good film, though not as good as most have claimed. I thought Parker's conflict about being Spider-Man or living a normal life was well done and interesting. His powers going on the fritz because of stress was also a nice touch. The swinging effects were also a tad bit better this time out.

Molina was wonderful as Dr. Octopus, and really brought the character to life wonderfully. His tentacles also looked outstanding, and for the most part, seamless. His battles with Spider-Man were quite thrilling to boot. I seem to be in the minority, but I like Franco as Harry, and was pleased to see his darker side this time around. The scene where he discovers the Goblin lair was also quite cool. It was also great seeing J.Jonah Jameson having a bigger role, yet he'd have his biggest role if Raimi would frickin' have my favorite Spidey villain, Scorpion, in one of the films. Anyways, I also give the film credit for having one of the funniest scenes I've seen, that being the elevator scene. When the guy with the cute Bassett Hound looked in the elevator with a weird expression on his face, and it then showed Spider-Man in the elevator, I started laughing uncontrollably. Truly hilarious scene.

Still, there were things I didn't think worked. The love thing with Mary Jane is a bit too mushy and cheesy for my liking, and I'm not the biggest Dunst fan either. The dialogue, while improved this time out, is still rather lame at points. Also, the train sequence with him taking off his mask was also lame IMO. However, I did love when Ock shoved all the protective people out of the way like they were flies. Plus, I would like Parker to at least show some courtesy towards Harry and give a reason for his father's death even if he didn't want him to tell. Hell, he could make up that he tried saving him from a mugging, only he failed, if he didn't want to tell him about the Goblin. That's not really a problem though, just something I'd like to see.

Anyways, its a good film, but Hulk is still the best comic book film IMO. I hope #3 is darker, and I wish Raimi would include Scorpion or Venom for crying out loud.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
With the mask, when he threw it it might have gone thru a window somewhere that was broken during the fight. As for Doc throwing the car, remember, he was a little insane, so thats why he did it.

Stevan Lay

Second Unit
I thought the movie provided some good humour such as the 'elevator' scene but the biggest laugh of them all was provided by the 'snooty usher' played wonderfully (and almost unrecognisably) by Bruce Campbell. He was just dead funny in that entire sequence.

"But not to be late", then the hhmmmmmm... :laugh:

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
That elevator scene is great.

The embarassment comes out even though u cant see his face -Tobeys barely audible "I made it" response when the guy asks where he got it from with the body language was just perfect.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member

There are a lot of people around here (myself included) that aren't big Venom/Carnage fans either. Personally i'm a fan of the 'classic' villians, I would love to see Sandman soon and another personal favorite of mine was Rhino.

Adam.Heckman

Second Unit
Here's another fanboy chiming in for Venom. I'm fairly young and got into comics at the time of 'maximum carnage' and I still own ALL the comics in Venom's first 7 mini-series. I didn't collect long, but I loved venom and the relationship with spiderman.
I think that the special effects opportunity that venom presents is also enticing. However, to make him convincing the whole backstory of the sin-eater and the church bells would have to be told. This would be tough in 120 minutes.

CraigL

Screenwriter

I will be flabbergasted if that's the case. Again...Tobey needs acting lessons. Desperately.
And he also needs to learn how to move his lips because currently only the bottom one works. ;)

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
I don't know if it was mentioned in this thread or not, but SM2 broke the record for single day sales with $40.4 million on a Wednesday, barely passing SM1 and obliterating ROTK for Wednesday openings

I'm waiting to see if Friday or Saturday will surpass the single day total set by Shrek 2.

Chris

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
He took off the mask because it was hit by spark and started to smoulder. The mask went behind him into the subway car.

Definite #1 superhero movie for me. Unbreakable is bumped down to #2.

aldamon

Second Unit

Yeah, Sandman would rock! The first Spider-Man comic I ever bought starred Sandman. I think I was 4 and I kept it forever. LOL. The CGI possibilities with Sandman are much more promising than a walking lizard man or a werewolf. Also, though a cool character, I think it's still too early for Venom.

Anyway, I absolutely loved this movie. Couldn't ask for a better birthday present!

EDIT: Here's the issue with Sandman. I WAS 4. LOL.

http://www.spyder-25.com/showpic.asp...volume1&ID=222

Adam.Heckman

Second Unit
aldamon,

Please, do not take this as an attack, but a sincere question:

Why is it too early for Venom? Is it because Venom showed up later in the comic book series? Or do you think that the Spiderman character still has some more maturing to do before being faced with the symbiont? (did I even spell that right?).

Anyways, just some clarification on your thoughts please.

Edit: And I agree that it could be very hard to tell the back story fully in the film format.

aldamon

Second Unit

There are too many interesting and dynamic characters in Spider-Man's history to use Venom this early. Also, if you think about it, the Venom storyline wouldn't make sense unless they compressed a ton of time or cut corners. Given Venom's popularity, I can see how it might be intimidating to take him on.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member

I would agree with that, it had everything a good comic book film adaptation should have. I can tell you now I would have been terribly disappointed if they had turned it into a 'balls-to-the-wall' action film which according to some comments i've been reading on a few message boards is exactly what some viewers wanted. I don't usually agree with Ebert but his review for Spidey 2 summed up my feelings pretty well, especially the first two paragraphs.

I was among the minority that thought Hulk was an exceptional comic book film but I think it has been de-throned. Most people go right back to Superman for the best comic book film but i've always found that film terribly uneven.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member

Campbell was definitely classic in that scene. But do you mean to tell me that you didn't recognize the chin? :D

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I loved Campbell and the elevator scene as well. There was one guy in my crowd bitching about all the humor...he kept sarcastically saying, "Is Spider-man a comedy now!" I don't know what comic/cartoon he grew up with, but Spidey has always been humorous.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Venom would be cool to see in a movie, but the setup for him would take a few movies to do it right. That is the only reason I dont want him in there.

Green Goblin 2 would be a great villain, and this time he would be more psycho since his only motivation is to kill Spidey!

Sandman would be cool, but worried about how that would come across on the movie screen and not appear silly.

I still think Shocker would be a great villian to pit Spidey against.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks