What's new

*** Official SPARTAN Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
Man, two weeks in the theaters and then...GONE!

I guess I'll have to catch up to this one on DVD. :frowning:

Rob

dannyB

Stunt Coordinator
Are you serious?! I wanted to watch this but cannot find it anywhere near me (VaBeach, VA). I can't believe it would be out of theaters so quickly. :angry:

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Well, you know they had to make room for Scooby Doo 2. :angry:

I'm so glad I caught this on opening weekend, because one week is all it lasted at my local theater. Great film, and one that I think will have good rewatchability on DVD.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
One of the reasons I choose to live in New York City is so that I'll always be near a theatre showing a film that is in the process of disappearing around the country. Warner never really gave this one a chance, as it never even hit 1,000 screens. This was less than half as big an opening as Heist. It is currently playing on less than 300. Very disappointing, I'm sure, and I certainly hope it doesn't negatively impact Mamet's directorial career.

Anyway, the girl(friend) and I both loved it. Val's dialogue when he is confronted in the beach house is priceless.

DJ

Chris

Senior HTF Member
The studio basically bailed on it. Too bad. All I've heard is good things (pardoning the ending which some seem to not like)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This is a very good film and it's unfortunate the film was never given a chance by the studio, since it's better than most films currently playing in theaters. I will be buying the dvd release.

Crawdaddy

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I can't find it around here either. Unfortunately I haven't the time to go to the city for another 3 weeks.

--
H

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I don't think I ever saw a trailer for it, not that I've been hitting a lot of big-studio films over the past couple months. I noticed the striking poster, but I don't know as Mamet's name is even on it.

dannyB

Stunt Coordinator
Well, since it got the boot from theaters so quickly one would hope the DVD comes to market very soon. Warner has been doing top-notch releases, so I'll be looking forward to that at least.

(just wish they'd dump the snappers)

dannyB

Stunt Coordinator
Kinda lame to respond to my own post, but the DVD has just been announced. From thedigitalbits.com:

Though I like that SRP, hopefully that doesn't mean its a bare-bones.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Excellent! One good thing about WB dumping this film is I get to watch it in my HT as early as possible.

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
Not sure exactly why, but this was the bit of dialogue that stuck in my head (from the scene when Kilmer is haggling with the ex-boy scout):

"Who's looking for a whore. This job's a gimme, this job's nothin'."

Absolutely LOVED the film.

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor
I had never even heard of this movie until I stumbled upon it at Blockbuster yesterday (with my rent 1 get 1 free coupon). I loved everything about this movie. No one has mentioned it yet, but I thought Mark Isham's score was outstanding!

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor
I had never even heard of this movie until I stumbled upon it at Blockbuster yesterday (with my rent 1 get 1 free coupon). I loved everything about this movie. No one has mentioned it yet, but I thought Mark Isham's score was outstanding!

James T

Screenwriter
I rented this the other day and was surprised by how well I liked it. If reccommending this movie to someone else, try not to tell that person anything. I think it's one of those movies that works better when you know nothing about it.

Pretty much. You get a trailer but you get a Val Kilmer commentary. The commentary itself was nothing special. It's only Kilmer, so there are a few pauses and a few decent anecdotes.

James T

Screenwriter
I rented this the other day and was surprised by how well I liked it. If reccommending this movie to someone else, try not to tell that person anything. I think it's one of those movies that works better when you know nothing about it.

Pretty much. You get a trailer but you get a Val Kilmer commentary. The commentary itself was nothing special. It's only Kilmer, so there are a few pauses and a few decent anecdotes.

chris winters

Second Unit
I had a question about the movie spartan, with Val Kilmer. It does contain a plot point spoiler so consider yourself warned:

When Val Kilmer's character was pretending to be a con, sitting in the back of the police cruiser, and he escapes. He then shoots the officer coming out of the general store. Was this shooting staged, and the police officer was in on it, or was the police officer a real cop who was sacraficed for the sake of the mission.

Maybe i was brain dead for a sec, but i was never clear on that part.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
From what I remember it was staged because when Kilmer goes back into the store you see the cop is ok and he changes his gun to go out and shoot one of the prisoners

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks