*** Official SPARTAN Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by ThomasC, Jan 14, 2004.

1. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

2. Terry St

Terry St Second Unit

Am I the only one who is having difficulty swalloing Ed O'Neill (Al Bundy!!!) in a film where he won't have the chance to stick his hand down his pants?

3. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

He looks like he is doing a credible job in the trailer. It looks interesting.

4. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    Ed O'Neill is a very good dramatic actor. See his recent television series (Dragnet and The Apple, I believe), and his film Popeye Doyle.

5. Magnus T

Magnus T Supporting Actor

I think you mean AL Bundy, not a serial killer. [​IMG]

6. Jason Co

Jason Co Second Unit

ummm....Ted Bundy is the guy who killed people and shoved them in a crawl space. I believe Al Bundy is the guy from Married With Children.

J

7. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

No Ted Bundy was the guy who killed coeds and left or buried them in the woods. The guy who is most associated with the crawlspace was John Wayne Gacy, who murdered boys/young men and dressed as a clown. Geez, what kind of sensationalist Americans are we if we can't keep our serial killers straight?

The character that Ed O'Neill played was of course Al Bundy.[​IMG]

8. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Ed O' Neill has appeared in several of Mamet's plays and appeared in one of his previous films, The Spanish Prisoner.

9. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

This film finally opens this weekend near me. Both Ebert and Reoper gave it thumbs up and it doesn't appear to have his wife in it (I am not Pidgeon's biggest fan).

10. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    I'm really looking forward to Spartan. E&R were VERY enthusiastic about it, and 2 hours spent with Mamet is always a good thing.

As for Rebecca Pidgeon... I'm a little sad she's not in it, but I realize this sentiment is not shared by everyone. [​IMG] I guess this means that the annual HTF Rebecca Pidgeon debate is canceled for this year?? [​IMG]

11. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

I am psyched as always to get another Mamet film. I'm also a big Pidgeon fan, so it is a bit disappointing to not see her in a new film. But looking over the cast list, I didn't see too many familiar Mamet favorites in there (besides O'Neill).

12. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H
    Just saw "Spartan".

This is a REALLY strong Mamet film. Tight, twisty, intriguing, doesn't EVER let you know everything you want to know, relatively emotionless except in the surprising few (2?) moments when it hits you hard.

Kilmer is great.

I don't know if this will become the discussion thread or not, so I'll hold back saying more...

13. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

[​IMG] Serial killer quiz: who was H.H. Holmes?

I've never seen Married With Children so luckily I won't have any hands in pants images in my mind.

I've been looking forward to seeing this. Ebert and Roeper RAVED about it. We have company this coming week, so it's going to have to wait. (whimper)

14. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Superb movie...I do believe I must get a review out.

15. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Spartan" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Spartan" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

16. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

With both this film and Heist, Mamet seems to be getting more comfortable with the visual element of filmmaking. With something like The Spanish Prisoner, dialogue was king. Here the dialogue is much more spare and utilitarian, and the images carry most of the storytelling weight. It's Mamet's first film in the 2.35:1 AR, and he makes the most of it.

Ed O'Neill's role is relatively small. Derek Luke has a much bigger part, and he carries it well. Kilmer is an odd casting choice for the lead, but I think he brings something fresh and novel to a character that could easily play as a cliche.

M.

17. Evan Lee

Evan Lee Stunt Coordinator

I saw it and thought it was a terrific movie. OT, but why is that every time I go to see a matinee of a movie that does not get much publicity but looks serious, I am the only one in the theater that cannot ask for a senior discount and does not have a sibiling that was in Vietnam.

18. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Was it me, or does Val Kilmer with dark hair look like John Travolta's brother?

I still heard chuckling in the audience when Ed O'Neil showed up on screen. He'll forever be Al Bundy to many folks.

Did killing the death row inmate count as his execution?

19. Stephen_L

Stephen_L Supporting Actor

Another terrific film by David Mamet. I confess to being a real sucker for his strange, terse, repetitive dialogue. It's not really how folks talk but I love it just the same. I also appreciate that his characters use lingo and shop talk and don't feel the need to explain every phrase or term. Also this film, like some of Mamet's other films has characters acting in a cool emotionless way, until suddenly one of the 'pros' reveals some real emotion. It doesn't happen often in the film, but it always carries a real punch.

20. ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait Cinematographer

I saw this movie today. It was me and an elderly black couple in the theater. I was actually surprised that I wasn't the only one in there because tonight was the last night it was playing here in Grand Rapids.

This is a terrific movie. Val Kilmer is a great actor. I didn't think he would be capable of handling Mamet's dialogue but he pulls it off flawlessly. Derek Luke shows that he is a actor to watch out for. I'm not familiar with Tia Texada, but I was glad the movie didn't stoop to the cliche of providing a female love interest for Kilmer's character.

When William H. Macy showed up, I figured he was there just for a cameo and I thought I was right till he shows up at the end.

This will be one fun movie to watch on DVD with the subtitles on to catch everything that is said. This along with Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind makes for two great movies already this year. I could listen to this and ESOTSM on an audio tape.