*** Official SOMETHING'S GOTTA GIVE Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Robert Crawford, Dec 6, 2003.

1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Something's Gotta Give" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Something's Gotta Give" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

2. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

As I stated before in another thread, Keanu Reeves looked to be doing the best performance of his career in the previews. How did he do, Patrick (and anyone else that caught a sneak preview)?

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Keanu's adequate, but I think any decent hunky actor in his mid-30s could have played this part. Keanu does have name recognition, and people in the audience did seem to root for him when it becomes evident that Erica (Keaton) has these 2 men sort of competing for her affection, and she does some uncharacteristic things because she's been put off-kilter in the film. Keanu serves the plot, but isn't a fully realized character in the film.

4. Arman

Arman Screenwriter

What Patrick partly said.

Actually, IMHO, Keanu is badly miscast in SGG (not credible at all as mid-30s doctor looking for real love with all those expressionless and unsmart "Neo looks" [​IMG]), his performance is so wooden and lifeless and did not contribute anything memorable to the film's success. He has to lose those expressionless and naive looking Neo acting. I thought he was just there simply to watch (and be under the spell of)Diane (Trinity [​IMG]), Jack (The Architect [​IMG]) and Frances (Oracle [​IMG]) do their thing. Sorry, Keanu fans here, this is just my 2 cents.

Oh by the way, in spite of Keanu's Neo mode lackluster performance, I love Something's Gotta Give, it is now my 2nd best mainstream comedy this year (far behind Love Actully and a bit ahead of School of Rock. Oh I forgot, it is behind Down With Love, so it is the 3rd best mainstream comedy so far this year). But of course, foreign adult/youth oriented comedy or adult sex farce imports like L' Auberge Espagnole and Km. 0 and Hollywood's Bad Santa and American Wedding are just as very funny and enjoyable above average sex/sex farce comedy flicks.

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

In some respects, I find it amusing that both Jack and Diane (sorry, couldn't resist the urge) bring somewhat of their public persona into the roles, but are able to explore some growth when 2 people meet one another at the right time in their lives, though under not-so-normal circumstances.

6. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

But the bigger question is: Is Diane Keaton's performace really the best of the year for an actress as the National Board of Review make it out to be?

Somehow, the Independent Spirit's nomination of Charlize Theron for Monster is finally getting her some real buzz.

~Edwin

7. Arman

Arman Screenwriter

Edwin,

Diane Keaton is really excellent and more importantly, delightfully funny especially in her over the top but cute breakdown crying scenes over her break-up with Jack (this scene might had probably won her the NBoR Best Actress vote)
    . Her performance though is still no match to Cate Blanchett's intense and consistently masterful performance in The Missing (DK's performance in SGG was inferior even against CB's electrifyingly intelligent performance in Veronica Guerin). I agree, that CB's performances are not that unbeatable (and not the ones that are getting the biggest Oscar buzz) so I'm really looking forward in seeing Naomi Watts in 21 Grams (who has seen this?) and Charlize Theron in Monsters.

8. Arman

Arman Screenwriter

NBoR awarded Charlize Theron the "consolation" (less prestigious) "Breakthrough Performance blah blah" (a useless award, oh yeah, spread the wealth ... the more award categories they could invent, the better. If the early buzz is true that CT's performance is one of the best ever and NBoR agrees, no way they would give her 2 acting awards!). I wonder why they gave her that award when in fact CT has been acting in this business for so and so years already (no matter how crappy or mediocre her performances were in her previous film assignments ... as a matter of fact her acting has been very good or fairly decent in the past), they should give that award (annually) to newcomers or total unknown stars.

9. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

10. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    "Besides, it irks me to no end that he and Keaton are supposed to be in the same age bracket."

Did it irked you when they played lovers over 20 years ago in "Reds"?

11. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

There's only about 8-9 years difference in their age.

12. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

13. Chad A Wright

Chad A Wright Supporting Actor

I agree that Reeves was much better in this than in the Matrix. However, he wasn't given a lot to work with either. He should have been a little better developed.

14. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

15. MattBu

MattBu Stunt Coordinator

God I hated this movie, maybe it's an age difference thing. But I found it COMPLETELY unrealistic that a Dr. in his mid thirties would be lusting over a late 50's woman when he could be bringing in all sorts of hampton socialite action.

Plus the movie is COMPLETELY contrived. We all KNEW that Jack and Diane were going to end up together and maybe that's a LOT of menopausal aged womens kind of movie but I would have liked to have seen SOME emotional drama in the movie. Or even Amanda Peete naked.

16. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

MattBu, what age group do you fall under?

17. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
    MattBu,

You might not be able to fathom that this thing might happen, but I at 33 found Diane Keaton's character Erica totally charming. And in the same situation I would have liked to ask her out just like Julian (Keanu's character) did. (Now, whether I would have had the guts to ACTUALLY ask is a different subject[​IMG].)

But it did not seem unrealistic to me; granted, it's not happening often and society seems to have a problem with it (it is more accepted the other way around, or at the very least more tolerated), but these things happen nonetheless.

To me it was a breath of fresh air in romantic comedies.

-Christian

18. MattBu

MattBu Stunt Coordinator

I'm 25. Diane Keaton is my mom's age (Exactly even). I found Jack Nicholson's relationship with Amanda Peete disgusting as well.

19. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor