What's new

*** Official SKY CAPTAIN AND THE WORLD OF TOMORROW Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
You had a problem with them saying "World War 1" yet had no problem with the Hindenburg III, which never existed? This is one of those situations where it's a fantasy world where there's a special commando unit that exists to quell conflicts. Lord knows what happened to neccessitate the creation of that squadron. Joe talks about going down in China during conflicts, so for all we know there were multiple conflicts after the first war. This is fantasy.

If you want to nitpick something, explain to me how Gwyneth Paltrow had time to call all her contacts in Tokyo and Paris looking up Totenkopft after being attacked by the machines, yet still arrived at the base at the same time Joe did. There are a few leaps in logic like that in the film, mainly in the first half where it seems like the writer had problems with how to get the exposition out without sounding too talky or spending too much time on it. Once they leave the base for the flying wing attacks, I think the film takes off, and I love it.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
quote:But, Polly had her lens cap off for that last shot.

I wish you had used a spoiler tag on that one since I did not notice that and thus I'll never, ever enjoy that gag again.
frown.gif
Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

Of course our intrepid "Sky Captain" knew that and just wanted to mess with Polly's mind given her fixation with the two remaining shots. Yeah, yeah, that will work. Ok, happy now.
blush.gif

Jim Barg

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Barg
Actually, I've read that Conran will explain that one on the DVD's commentary... which will probably be the explanation Mr. Harris has just given. (Makes the most sense to me...)

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
quote:The airstation where Joe lands and is reunited with Frankie was "Platform 327". The numbers "327" have been used a few times in the Star Wars movies.

In fact, it was the landing platform that Han Solo was given clearance to land on in Cloud City. About as direct a reference as it could be given the situation in Sky captain. I noticed that right away, the "1138" and the fin reminiscent of the Dagobah monster.

I thought the movie was fun, but didn't find the critical raves justified. I said to a coworker I thought it was strange the critics were going nuts over a movie that had all the same elements they ripped apart in other films, like not-so-well composited people in CG environments (a fact cleverly disguised by the film's unique look) and he quickly jumped to its defense (without having even seen the movie) that he thought they were raving about the story not the FX. But, the story just boiled down to a plot that has been used in a couple Bond movies already. The FX in this movie were probably more "let's do it because we can" than a lot of movies since when you think about them in relation to the true plot, they're not all that necessary.

Still, it was a fine bit of fluff, and Gwyneth looked good, but Spoiler:how did she get her clothes back?

I appreciated all the nods to Lucas, especially since the movie took what he's been doing to the next level. If he'd done it first, he'd have been crucified for it. Now, maybe he'll be able to get away with it and they'll just say he's copying Sky Captain, a beloved gem of a film.
smile.gif

Maybe some of the action scenes will play better on a small screen or upon any repeat viewing, but sometimes I felt like I wasn't seeing what I was supposed to, like when the "O" fell, did Sky Captain fly THROUGH it? I kind of thought that's what he'd do, but I really couldn't tellw hat happened in all the chaos.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
quote:But, Polly had her lens cap off for that last shot.

Did she? Perhaps her viewfinder is separate from the lens? I am just saying, it's hard to believe that no one in the production spotted that stupid mistake. I didn't but I only say the film once...

Decent but I wouldn't see it again. Sky Captain has to be the blandest hero in recent memory.

--

H

FredK

Second Unit
^ The editing really varied throughout the movie, with the beginning and end being the weakest. I was really annoyed with the numerous composite "wipes" at the beginning, but thankfully it wasn't in the whole movie.

The movie really had picked up and I could see why there was the high praise, but then it hit the brakes. I just thought everything on the island was rushed. And the whole rocket sequence just didn't work for me... should have started the countdown at 10min instead of 3min and given us some more to chew on.

A fun
star.gif
star.gif
1/2 , and I do hope for more, but well short of classic.

Stephen_L

Supporting Actor
I watched the film a second time, and although I'm a Gweneth Paltrow fan, her performance just doesn't work in the film. Part of the fault might be in the writing. There are two kinds of female leads in these old adventures. There's the tomboy, a woman who can run with the men, outfight 'em, outdrink 'em. I recall Karen Allen's Marian in Raiders of the Lost Ark, all fire and spunk, every bit Indiana's match, drinking Sherpas under the table. Her boldness would land her in trouble. This was the character Paltrow tried to be. Yet she seemed endlessly overwhelmed, and inept for a crack reporter. The camera lens cap gag, while funny would never happen to an experienced veteran reporter. The second typical female lead is the damsel in distress; think Fay Wray in King Kong. Beautiful, brave, but utterly overwhelmed by the adventure, needing the aid of the hero. Her inexperience and naivete would land her in trouble. Sometimes Paltrow fit this mold. The screenwriter should have chosen one role or the other; daring, courageous reporter, or eager novice forever getting in over her head. As a result the performance doesn't work.

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve Felix
quote:Perhaps her viewfinder is separate from the lens

It is, but the lens was uncovered, too. There is a shot where that is very obvious on the second viewing. I don't think it's possible that the production could have missed it, so I think the intent was indeed to have Joe keep ribbing her in lieu of a typical romantic end.

It's not quite as funny that way, but it's a better character moment for both of them, and explains away the veteran reporter problem. Since the most common reaction will be to miss it the first time and catch it the second, we get the best of both worlds!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
quote:did the box office tank last week?

Pretty much, I think it dropped about 55% or so.

A little surprising as there was a decent crowd in the theater I went to for an afternoon matinee.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
quote:There's the tomboy, a woman who can run with the men, outfight 'em, outdrink 'em. I recall Karen Allen's Marian in Raiders of the Lost Ark, all fire and spunk, every bit Indiana's match, drinking Sherpas under the table. Her boldness would land her in trouble. This was the character Paltrow tried to be. Yet she seemed endlessly overwhelmed, and inept for a crack reporter.

I disagree. If you look at the Superman cartoons that partially inspired Sky Captain, Lois Lane is constantly doing idiotic things and needing to be rescued despite being a crack reporter. Actually, as bad as Polly was in some scenes, she's nowhere near as inept as Lois was. Polly would make my eyes roll sometimes but I basically enjoyed watching her; I wanted Lois dead
smile.gif

I do think that Paltrow was the weakest link in the cast, however, as she seemed to have the hardest trouble imagining what she was supposed to be reacting to. A great example being early in the film when the robots are attacking and she reaches down and dramatically rips her skirt, apparently about to sprint for her life. Then she sort of...jogs out among all these giant stomping feet. Kind of deflates that part of the scene.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
quote:A great example being early in the film when the robots are attacking and she reaches down and dramatically rips her skirt, apparently about to sprint for her life. Then she sort of...jogs out among all these giant stomping feet. Kind of deflates that part of the scene.

Yes, but it gave me a cheap thrill for a moment.
blush.gif
I guess they were going for that old-school film heroin with her run there. We're too used to the modern day Jennifer Garners, Angelinas, Kate Beckinsales, and Milla Jovovich's who could outsprint and outfight any man out there. It's hard to picture a 30's screen queen really exerting herself like the modern women of film.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed it enough for what it was--a 30s-40s pulp science fiction adventure brought to big budget, big screen life, with fun visuals (loved all the stuff on the island especially), and lacking the silly "I'm Mr. Grand Mythmaker" pretentiousness of another filmmaker. I did sometimes have a problem with the extreme disconnect caused by the fact that live actors were acting against a background that was so obviously artificial (and the cause of some of the acting problems, IMO). At times it felt almost like the segment in Who Framed Roger Rabbit when Bob Hoskins goes to Toontown.

Stephen_L

Supporting Actor
Lois inept? I must differ. She's always been a crack reporter who gets into jams because she gets too close to the action in chasing a story. Not only does this go for the comics but Margot Kidder's version in the Superman films. I guess Paltrow seemed kind of pallid and vague in her acting. A little more energy and verve in her performance would have been welcome. Angelina Jolie (who I generally don't like) had the right level of energy and felt perfectly at home in the story.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
From the review thread...
quote:The problem is that this is one of those multi-million dollar art-house flicks that the studios occasionally cough up by glorious accident. The film it most looks like is actually INSTITUTE BENJAMENTA, if anyone remembers that.
Well, first, I'd probably put it closer to Guy Maddin than the Quay Brothers, who always struck me as being basically animators at heart whereas Maddin is someone born sixty years too late to be a silent filmmaker.

Second, I wouldn't call that a "problem". I figure it's a good thing that sometimes a filmmaker can get a studio to give him money for something as idiosyncratic as Sky Captain. If the studio doesn't make their money back, that's their gamble... But I got a movie I enjoyed immensely, and that's no problem for me.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I finally got around to seeing it last weekend. Certainly it is flawed in a few ways, and Jude and Gwyneth don't really have much chemistry, but it does have its moments. Angelina Jolie does shine in her limited appearance, and really nailed it moreso than anyone else in the film.

People critisized Gwyneth's "running", but I think that's a function of her outfit. For goodness sakes, she's wearing a skirt that she could barely walk in and heels. Even ripping it isn't going to give her that much more movement.

Definitly feels like a first time filmmaker's film, but one with some potential. Looking forward to see what he does with A Princess Of Mars.

6/10

Jason

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I finally got around to seeing this since the newly opened theater nearby picked it up.

First, this has to be the film with the best use of CGI animation. Not once did I feel that the live-action elements seem out of place. This is likely due to the soft and desaturated quality of the entire film. I really enjoyed the performances. I thought Jude Law and Gwyneth Paltrow really played off each other well. Angelina Jolie stole the docking scene.
biggrin.gif

The whole film really did feel like a feature-length serial.

I give it 4 out of 4 stars.

Oh, as for the ending, I may be wrong, but I think Joe was just messing with Polly about the lens cap.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks