*** Official SIN CITY Review Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Quentin, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H
    Saw it yesterday.

Visually...WOW. Pretty cool stuff. More interesting in many ways than Sky Captain.

I dug the Marv story...maybe it was me enjoying Mickey Rourke so much. But, I found the film as a whole to be what I've come to expect from Rodriguez - not much there.

Carla Gugino is...dang. [​IMG]

2. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Ok, I'll say it and later people can rip it up: Best film I've seen so far this year. There are some sequences that were goofy; but as a whole, it had a very true-to-the-book feeling that I appreciated. The picture -quality- ie, how it looked on the screen is pretty incredible.

Very violent.

3. Adam Portrais

Adam Portrais Stunt Coordinator

This movie kicks so much ass in so many ways. Caught the midnight show at the AMC and....words just can't say. I'll be seeing this one at the very least once more in the theater (it will most likely end up being two or three more times). Can't friggin wait for that DVD. Arg, I gotta go see this again tomorrow.

4. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "Sin City". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.

Crawdaddy

5. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Just got back from a showing.

What more could you ask for? Sin City is ultraviolent neo-noir with pulp and style to burn. A trio of hardboiled tales has Bruce Willis as an honest cop trying to protect a young girl from a ghoulish pedophile, a brutish thug named Marv (Mickey Rourke, who is very good) vows to avenge the murder of a hooker who showed him some kindness, and Clive Owen is a tough guy who teams up with an army of prostitutes trying to protect their turf. Of the smokin' broads in this movie, Brittany Murphy is the most appealing as the saucy Shellie. Not for wimps!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] out of [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Travis W.

Travis W. Second Unit

Terrible, terrible film! Black & white instead of color!? What were they thinking...couldn't resist, it's April 1st you know.

A great film and an even better comic adaptation. Definitely Rodriguez's best work. I forsee a second viewing in the near future...

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] out of 4

7. Mike.P

Mike.P Second Unit

May as well throw my opinion in here!

Excellent job to RR on this, although (minor spoiler)

I was a bit suprised at the way that each story merely followed the other, instead of a massive interweaving like could have been done, such as having a bit more of Hartigans story up front, then going into Marv's story, and leaving all of the lose ends until the end and having all three stories ending simulataniously.
    Overall, though, its a minor quibble and its a movie worth seeing many times over.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] out of [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] out of 4 for me.

Big Fat Kill brings it down a bit. Comments in Discussion thread.

9. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I'm not sure what my expectations were going into the film (tried to stay relatively spoiler-free, with the exception of the trailer), but this movie met and exceeded my expectations, and the interweaving of the 3 main stories with minor bookends was a good time at the theater. The marriage of comic books to film just took a nice jump in quality and raised the bar very high for future projects to come.

The only minor quibble was the noir-ish voiceovers that pushed some of the details through for the audience, but overall, I liked it a lot.

I give it 3.75 stars, or a grade of A-, may get upgraded if I see it again later.

10. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    Confession time: I became a Sin City fan in late 1992 or 1993. I forget the year. It was the Sin City graphic novel (renamed The Hard Goodbye) later. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I fell in love with what I got. It was followed by other hard-boiled tales, big and small. Some were better than others (a few were only so-so), but when they were on, they were ON.

Two of the best are collected here, along with an average tale (The Big Fat Kill - still quite solid). Robert Rodriguez is a director I've admited a lot more than one I've followed or liked. Desperado was quite cool, but I've been cool to his follow-ups. I especially was ambivalent towards Once Upon a Time..., a film I should have loved. So I was worried regarding Sin City. It's creator had a unpleasant history with Hollywood, and Sin City was notoriously unHollywood. But RR was a good choice, even before I saw thew film.

I'm certain many Hollywood journalists and critics consider the co-director credit for Miller a lark, an homage from a humble RR. Certainly that medium can't be responsible for the greatness on display. But Miller's title is well-earned. He wrote the dialogue. He created the characters, the setting, the mood, and the morality. He framed the shots and understood the transitions. He LIT the scenes. He drove the action, the plot, and the meaning. It's a well-deserved title.

On to the film, it's a beautiful movie. It's just a huge visual treat to watch. The style, the tone, the colors, the pure black and white - I can't WAIT to see the DVD. It's as faithful as could be, while remaining alive and vibrant. The direction maintains the kinetic energy of the comics, coiled up and sprung at the opportune moments.

The performances are almost excellent to a performer. I didn't like Aoki cast as Miho, and she did alright. Still, a role made for Zhang Ziyi [​IMG] Aoki didn't have the supernatural grace Miho would have. And while I love Bruce Willis, I don't think he was right for Hartigan...too young, and not imposing enough. While I am dream-casting, I'd have thrown Clint Eastwood, ten years ago, into this role. Lastly, Del Toro does a good job channeling Nick Nolte as Jackie Boy. But I'd love to have seen what Johnny Depp would have done here. Other than that, I loved the casting, big and small. Special note to Mickey Rourke, who nailed Marv. NAILED him. I also though, for a small quiet role, Alba embodied Nancy. Maybe that's a crush talking [​IMG] Other greats were Clive Owen (who we could definitely see again for A Dame to Kill For). Pretty much everyone else was fantastic. And the women LOOKED so great. Rosario, Carla, Alexis, even Brittany.

Onto what I love the most...the story. What I love about the comic is the stark black and white aspect. In EVERYTHING, from the art, to the dialogue, to the morality. The movies transported that perfectly for me. Simple tales really. Man helps woman he loves with violence. Everyone is corrupt, and you judge yourself by what you do. I love it, I've always loved it. Miller's tales have a primal urge to them. Most stories tale a long trip through your eyes, your thoughts, your memories, your cortex, and the filter of pop culture before they MIGHT be remembered. From the first comic I read, Miller's tales skip all that, and imprint themselves right on your brain [​IMG] It works.

Onto filmmaking, the audience (and myself) responded best to The Hard Goodbye, thanks tro the great character of Marv, the dark humor, and the fricking incredible Mickey Rourke performance (easily the best in a very solid film). I would have saved this for the middle, and started with the building The Big Fat Kill. But that's me.

A shot to the nuts, maybe not perfect, but it's getting a
    10/10 anyway,
    Chuck

11. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

This film had everything. I have never been so thoroughly entertained in a long time. The film gets a 10/10 from me but there were only 2 weak points - Michael Madsen's character and the part where the guy gets the arrow through the chest. It was funny up until he mentioned the hospital. Carried that one a little too long IMO.

Both very minor quibbles. I loved everything else in it. This movie is amazing and I'm sure it'll be sitting in my top 5 for a long time.

12. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Wow, great film and lately, one of the most enjoyable experiences I had in a movie theater. I definitely got to see this film again and soon.[​IMG]

Crawdaddy

13. Phil Florian

Phil Florian Screenwriter

Saw this last night and it was a square hit to the jaw...splendid! Willis was too young but did well to embody the world-weariness, the rage and the determination needed for this role. It was his best role in quite a while.

Clive Owen did well with Dwight, probably the toughest character to play (in that, without his "origin" story from his first comic, his relationships don't make as much sense, to me anyway). Still, he nailed it and his interpretation of it brought more humor to the proceedings, oddly enough. Good stuff.

But Marv is the one that stole the show. Since Rourke pretty much has put his career on the skids with excessive facial surgery he won't be doing the handsome (yet creepy) leads he had in the old days. So then we have Marv, the perfect role for his new mug (granted, with lots of makeup piled on to get that Marv profile). Rourke showed why he was once a cool and dangerous actor. He captured the humor, confusion and bullheadedness that is needed for Marv to be the character he is in the books.

The supporting cast was a resounding success, too. Hauer brought his old creepiness back to the silver screen, as did Powers Boothe (stuck in his Deadwood hair and 'stache, though). The ladies...well, they speak for themselves. Even though most played the "hooker with the heart of gold" stereotype, the play was intentional and effective.

I sincerely hope that they take the time to do the other books in this style. The visuals were amazing, not just for the b/w and splashes of color. His uses of color weren't necessarily true to the comics...Dwight's shoes had color but didn't in the comic. Some scenes almost were in full color that were never seen that way in the books but it really worked. I think the sound was splendid as well, with the plaintive tinkling of the piano under many scenes to the more driving theme of the movie. All very well done.

I have gushed enough. If you like hard-boiled fiction with a side order of maybe farce or the surreal, check this movie out.

14. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

I liked it, but didn't love it. I'm up for any "sequels," though.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] out of [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Romier S

Romier S Producer

I loved every minute of it. It's quite literally the graphic novels brought to life on the screen. Every ounce of over the top narration is there, the violence is there, Mickey Rourke is fucking brilliant as Marv, Bruce Willis rocked as Hartigan (though he was a tad too young), and Rosario Dawson is jaw droppingly hot. The stories were tied together wonderfully and I can't wait for the DVD to restore some of the other scenes that did not make it in (like Marv going to visit his mom to pick up his gun "Gladys"). Elijah Wood was the biggest suprise for me. The guy was freaking PERFECT as Kevin. Right down to that blank smirk.

The visuals were stunning as expected. This is Rodriguez's best work to date. It met every (HIGH) expectation I had of it and as a nerdy fan of the books, this movie is the answer to that age old question of "Why don't they just film the comic?". Mind you I do understand that when you are adapting any subject to the silver screen, some changes do need to happen to make it work better for a viewing audience. Sin City just goes to prove that with some good folks behind the project, you can make an adaptation work with little to no changes and stay as true as possible to the source material.

My only complaint (after some reflection) is that the editing could have been a bit tighter. The stories could have been interwoven more closely in and out of each other. Once a new thread started, it followed through until the end with That Yellow Bastard being the exception. Would have been nice for all three stories to reach thier climax at the end. As a fan of the graphic novel, it bothered me very little. To the average movie goer though, I can see "fatigue" setting in somewhat as you feel as though you are watching three movies instead of one.

Even with that minor issue, I still couldn't tear myself away from the screen. I went in with wanting to see how That Yellow Bastard turned out and left with The Hard Goodbye being my favorite of the three on the big screen. This will easily stay on my list of favorites at the end of 2005. Bring on the DVD and a few more theatrical viewings.

16. Craig S

Craig S Producer

Craig Seanor
    In Robert Rodriguez & Frank Miller's Sin City (10/10) we finally have the first truly great film of 2005. This one is as great a jolt to the cinematic consciousness as was Pulp Fiction over a decade ago.

I am unfamiliar with the source material, so I can't comment on faithfulness, which actors were right for the roles, etc. All I know is I sat there enthralled for 2 hours as these three pulpy tales played out. Rodriguez is perhaps digital cinema's greatest evangelist and in this project he's found the perfect material to show off his technological prowess. He and co-director Miller create a fully immersive world that simply could not be filmed traditionally.

The huge cast is almost perfect (only Michael Madsen didn't really work for me). As others have said, the standout is Mickey Rourke's Marv. He strides through this world as if he owns it - and frankly, he does. But nearly everyone else is outstanding. The "heroes" are hard & cold, the villians are cold-blooded, and the women are hot, hot, hot.

So to summarize:

Will I go see it again?? Hell, yes!
    Will I buy the soundtrack?? Hell, yes!
    Will I buy the DVD the day it comes out?? Hell, yes!
    Will Sin City make my year-end Top Ten list?? Hell, yes!!

17. Dave Hackman

Dave Hackman Stunt Coordinator

Please confess your sins my son. Padre I don’t want to keep you here all night. Marv played by Mickey Rourke is absolutely the best thing about this movie and set the bar so high that everything else was just a disappointment. His face looked surreal and when he talked the bass just reverberated throughout the theater. This guy is tough but also aware of his faults and is not shy to tell the viewer what he’s thinking. Marv has some pretty good battles and really cuts to the meat of the matter when in need of information.

My 2nd favorite story is between Dwight and his former girlfriend’s posse from Old Towne. From the un-flushed toilet to the heavily armed prostitutes, a mix of action and humor is everywhere.

Bruce Willis’s character John Hartigan was the weakest of the bunch and his story is the one I would like to edit out. It was a combination of Bruce playing him-self and a boring story that just didn’t do it for me.

I recommend showing up late and leaving early thus removing all of Willis’s scenes.

C

18. RobertM.Fleming

RobertM.Fleming Stunt Coordinator

In less than 24hours Ive seen Sin City Twice.

that alone should give you a heads up to how much I loved this film.

I was very disappointed with robert rodriguez after the double shot of Once upon a time in mexico and spy kids 3D. that disappointment is water under the bridge now. watching the film just on technical merits is something to behold. the brains initial response to the fully CG created backround is something like "wow they did this on computers?" this lasts about 10 to 15 mins. after that you just stop thinking about that fact and completly lose yourself in the fiction. millers fiction. and there is nothing quite like the fiction of frank miller. its an epic of violence. its not cartoony even though its blood bleeds white and yellow. and its not pretty though the visuals are second to none. its a freight train that takes your head off as you so foolishly attempt to leap across the tracks. I had my reservations walking in the theater, would they go as far as miller did in the graphic novel? but its all there....every last severed apendage...every painfully placed bullet...they all hit there respective marks and reflect on the silver screen, a living sin city for all of us to get dirty in.

and aside from the painful performance of Michael Madsen the casting couldnt have been more perfect.

morally uptight and politically correct jackasses beware....you will not like this film. everyone else...soak it in...if you were witness to anything like this in real life...you could be arrested as an accomplice.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] ...yeah..thats right, Five stars.

19. MichaelPR

MichaelPR Second Unit

Guess I'm in the minority here but I was so bored I had to walk out. Now I love Tarrantino and Rodriguez but the movie to me was so boring. I didn't care about any of the characters or what happened to them. I found the acting to be very stilted and boring. I have been 0 for 2 on my las 2 flicks this and Finding Neverland. I also have to say that I saw 4 other couples walk out of the theater before my girlfriend and I. I made it to the part where Clive Owen goes to Old Town and we meet Miho. I just couldn't take it anymore!!! I don't know what went wrong here for me as I was really really really looking forward to this flick! Oh well...

20. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] (out of four)
    04/03/2005
    35mm print (cropped by limited screen size)

Someone went and made a real adaptation of a graphic novel rather than just presuming it has to be 'fixed' for film. I've not even read Sin City and I can tell that.

Damn incredible anthology film that just kicked my ass and oozed cool all over the place. I want to see Rodriguez or someone else take this approach to bringing Gaiman's Sandman to life. Willis was outstanding, but it was Marv, 'the guy who wouldn't die' that owned the entire film. Clive Owen was very cool and dominated his material. Elijah Wood was insanely creepy (love the blanked out eye effect).

Yellow Bastard was completely fing insane. andt eh visuals were intense

a friend of a friend put it best "it had boobies and guns and blood--I loved it!"