What's new

*** Official "SIMONE" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
I think Al Pacino needs to fire his agent, immediately. I can't believe this trash will be hogging up the screen at my beloved Senator for almost a month.:frowning:

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I, for one, am looking forward to this. I LOVE Al Pacino! I wanted to take the day off to go opening day, but someone's already taking vacation.

Mitty

Supporting Actor
All I know is that I've seen the trailer roughly 8 kabillion times.

For at least a month now Alliance Atlantis theatres have been showing it before every movie.

A...star...is...digitized! Arghhhhhh...

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
It's a truly awful trailer, but Andrew Niccol earned my trust with Gattaca and The Truman Show, so I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt.

BTW, is it just me, or is anyone else getting the impression that Niccol has only one story in him - the person whose ambitions exceed the narrow limit of possibilities open to them by the circumstances of his or her birth, and his or her attempt to escape them? I notice Simone seems to be more of an AI in the trailers than I'd originally thought, and I wonder if she's basically another version of the characters Ethan Hawke and Jim Carrey played in the other movies?

I mean, it's a good story, one of my favorites, but I'm starting to wonder just how much range Niccol has as a storyteller.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
I liked the film's first trailer, dislike the film's second trailer. But just like with Seaver, Niccol earned my trust with both Gattaca and The Truman Show. I for one will be seeing this opening weekend along with Serving Sara just cause that has Bruce Campbell in it.
I can't believe this trash will be hogging up the screen at my beloved Senator for almost a month.
You haven't seen it yet, so how exactly is it trash?

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
BTW, is it just me, or is anyone else getting the impression that Niccol has only one story in him - the person whose ambitions exceed the narrow limit of possibilities open to them by the circumstances of his or her birth, and his or her attempt to escape them?
Interesting point, but I think that could be said of a lot of filmmakers. I just wish more of them could tell their story as intelligently as Niccol did with Gattaca and The Truman Show.

That said, I am very much looking forward to Simone: one of my favorite actors starring in a movie helmed by the director of one of my favorite films.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
You haven't seen it yet, so how exactly is it trash?
Yeah, yeah, I know it's unfair to judge the film without seeing it, but I just hate the concept and the fact that they could be screening some classic movies or something instead of showing this, which I have absolutely zero interest in.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
but I just hate the concept and the fact that they could be screening some classic movies or something instead of showing this
Oh well, due to people like you bad mouthing the film prior to seeing it, I'm sure the film will bomb, be off your theaters' screens within two weeks while being replaced by something that is just as bad (in your opinion) or if not worse.

If you're going to bad mouth it, at least see it first so you can bad mouth it.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
be off your theaters' screens within two weeks while being replaced by something that is just as bad
Actually, in a month's time it will be replaced by Lawrence of Arabia, which, even though it wasn't my cup of tea, is probably better than Simone will turn out to be.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Simone". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.
All HTF member film reviews of "Simone" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.
Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
Crawdaddy

Mitty

Supporting Actor
I didn't realize this opened this weekend.

Does this mean I won't have to see the bloody awful trailer anymore? (please please please please please please please pretty please with sugar on top let it be true)

I kid you not, I've seen this trailer before every movie for three solid months.

I think this would be a case where I'd sign a petition to have the trailer left off the DVD.

Humm i haven't seen the trailer even once here in Canada. For the past 8 movies that i went to not one of them showed the trailer. I only saw it on the www.apple.com website. That is before the trailer was starting to be shown on TV.
I went to see "Simone" today. All in all it was a good movie. Somewhat streched out but well worth the 2 hours and $10.50.
Don't know if those who saw the movie noticed this dialog: "If God is JarJar..." but i found it to be semi-Humorous

Well no. Because it makes sense. In the world where Simone was created people responded to her and loved her even more no matter what she did or became. Much like in the "I Am Pig" movie.

Thus because she had such a huge following she would have an easy time to get into politics and make alot of changes. After all she is a program and can be used to do/say anything.

Like Al Pacino said in the movie "The people are responding to her movies ..." and then something along the lines of "shes changing society ..."

I also wonder if and or when a creation like Simone will actually be possible in our real world.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
But most politicians can't get away without making public appearances, and "pressing the flesh" so to speak.

Loved the "I am Pig" movie as it was used in the film. Even funnier that it was Simone that was listed as the director.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Patman --
Just remember Doc Brown's reaction in Back to the Future when he was told that Ronald Reagan is the President. :) In a world where television is the principal medium for political communication, I thought the political angle was a funny punchline -- not something worth making a whole movie about, but a fitting grace note at the end of the film.
M.

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit
But what is forgotten is that Reagan, irrespective of a person's opinion about him and his policies, had spent the better part of two decades active in politics. By the time he ran for president he was a former two-term governor of the largest state in the Union. Hollywood likes to imagine that fame is fungible, and that popularity on screen is interchangeable with popularity in politics. So far, Reagan, who was at most a "B" actor, seems to be the exception that proves the rule. That's why I thought, FWIW, that Simone's political aspirations were a bit ham-handed.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
That, and, the last scene seems to more or less directly contradict what the characters had decided in the scene before it - "we don't have a problem with fake, so long as you tell the truth about it."

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Maybe the daughter meant "We don't have problems with the joke, as long as you let us in on the joke."
I think Niccol was just reaching for the "logical" conclusion of the satire he set up with the ending, though it's like the only part of the film that really produces some eyeball rolling. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks