*** Official "SIDEWALKS OF NEW YORK" Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert Crawford, Nov 25, 2001.

1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Sidewalks of New York". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.
    All HTF member film reviews of "Sidewalks of New York" should be posted to this thread.
    Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
    Crawdaddy

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

The film did only modest business in limited release, so I wonder how much wider Paramount Classics will open it.
    Among other things, the film represents an interesting entry in the annals of "whaddaya do with films shot in New York before 9/11/01?". For reasons indicated in my review, I think Burns made the right choice to leave in the frequent shots of the WTC towers. But it's hard not to be distracted by them when you're sitting in the theater watching the film.
    M.

3. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

I was planning on seeing this but based on your comments and other lukewarm reviews, I may skip it for now. Perhaps, In The Bedroom, should be your next assignment, Michael?

~Edwin

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

And here I thought I gave Sidewalks a favorable review.

I can see only one film next weekend, and it's going to be Affair of the Necklace.

M.

5. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

Looking forward to reading your comments on that one, as well.

~Edwin

6. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

I'll be viewing this film this weekend.
    That's if you even trust my opinion Edwin. [​IMG]
    Gotta get Waking Life in tomorrow and fit Amelie in there this week as well. Still haven't even seen Harry Potter if you can believe it.

7. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    "Sidewalks of New York" finally opened here this weekend, and I caught it today. I'm a big Edward Burns fan, and I really enjoyed this. Much better than "She's the One" and "No Looking Back", though it can't touch "The Brothers McMullen".

I was surprised it was as much of an ensemble piece as it was -- expected the focus to be much more on Edward's character of Tommy. I thought the film had a warmth and charm and created believable, relatable characters and situations. You even ultimately find yourself feeling compassion for Stanley Tucci's self-centered, two-timing character. I'm not familiar with Rosario Dawson, but was very impressed with her performance.

I hope Edward continues to wear the "three hats" of writing, directing and acting. I love his way with dialogue, and the structure of this film reminded me of Woody Allen, albeit with less neurotic characters.

8. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    Michael, just read your review now and realize I echoed a lot of your sentiments!