What's new

*** Official SHREK FOREVER AFTER Review Thread (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
My review of Shrek Four can be summed up like this:

This is an ammount of time you will never get back. This may be one of the worst sequels ever, and I'm throwing Highlander 2 into that camp. I saw this earlier in the week (sneak peek) but held off to say anything until time was right. Let me just save you the time/trouble/expense:

The plot is by the book "let's visit an alternate universe"

The character of the villain is SO ANNOYING that it's not that he's evil, it's just.. well, I may think dragging your fingernails on a chalkboard is evil, but it doesn't make for a good villain. That's the problem here.

The jokes fall completely flat.

Again, this is a film that uses a 3D effect and gains literally nothing out of it. There is no moment in this film that seems in any way enhanced by the use of 3D, and at two moments in the middle, the 3D effect causes one character to seemingly get lost behind it, which makes for a really confusing exchange that if you aren't paying really good attention or positioned ideally in a theater may rank as one of the most worthless 2 minutes in any film I've watched in years.

I liked Shrek. It was pretty good. Too pop culture, but cute. Shrek 2 was OK. Shrek3 was bad. Shrek 4 is nearly unwatchable.

Shrek4 is basically the story of Shrek1, set in an alternate universe, with characters who are WAY more annoying (Shrek 1 the characters were actually enjoyable, I had a good time) and the jokes aren't close to as funny.

In the grand scheme of things:

Shrek 1: A solid "A". A fun film that isn't as rewatchable but still was a blast.

Shrek 2: B.. almost a "B"+. Fairly funny, some good bits, a few new characters that were a blast.

Shrek 3: C. Not as funny. Too long. Story was lacking. Kids would still enjoy because a few bits are good. Characters weren't very funny.

Shrek 4: F. Not in the league of any of the previous films. Not even close. Kids will also struggle to get through this because long periods of nothing funny happening and the story drags.

Sometimes you can go back to the well. This time, they just need to drown in it. Save your money.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "Shrek Forever After". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an
[COLOR= #44708c]Official Discussion Thread[/COLOR].

Crawdaddy

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez
Well, I liked it better than the 3rd film. It was a good continuation of the first 2 films and the animation was top notch. There were good laughs for me and didn't feel forced like the 3rd film.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This last installment of the Shrek franchise does take forever to get going, with most of the film being moribund until Puss-not-in-boots finally shows up, but I think it ends up better than it started (being an alternative version of what-if Shrek and Fiona never met or hooked up. Having Rumpelstiltskin as the villain got tiresome in the first act, not a good sign. But it's a little more ambitious than the previous film (which wasn't good) in some ways, but in other ways, it feels cramped. But without Donkey or Puss, this film would have been truly a dud, as it is, it's a semi-dud.

I give it 2 stars, or a grade of C.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks