***Official "SHOWTIME" Discussion Thread***

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Whyte, Mar 14, 2002.

1. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

This thread is the offical discussion thread for the film "Showtime". Please direct all discussion and comments here, and reviews to the offical review thread.
    Thank you!

2. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    I'm as big a De Niro fan as they come, but man, based on the trailer this movie looks PAINFUL!

3. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    That's the same thing they said about "We were Soldiers" but the film is great! However, I will withhold my judgement of "Showtime" until I see the film for myself.

Crawdaddy

4. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    I agree, I will definitely check it out before I come to any conclusion about it, but the trailer has definitely lowered my expectations. I guess that could be a good thing though.

5. Mike St.Louis

Mike St.Louis Supporting Actor

I love DeNiro but I wish he would stop making so many comedies.

6. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

I remember a time when just hearing DeNiro was in a film made me quiver with anticipation. Not anymore.

DeNiro is making his living nowadays just paroding himself. What a waste of a great talent. Scorcese needs to give him a good role.

7. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

The very idea of William Shatner and Robert DeNiro playing off each other in a comedic context is... just strange. Shatner has third billing in fact.

The preview has William Shatner curtly whispering something like "That guy's the worst actor I've ever seen!" in regards to DeNiro. Stupid, maybe, but kind of chuckle-worthy in a campy sort of way. There are also a lot of "T.J. Hooker jumping on car hood references," that, while old jokes, still crack me up to this day.

Joseph

8. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

What can I say, I laughed quite a bit with this film. Sure, the actual premise of the film is sort of a stretch, but I went with it, and was entertained by the banter between Murphy and De Niro. The guys who do "Smallville" did some of the screenwriting (Miller and Gough) for this film, so I knew there would be attention to characters and their indiosyncrasies. De Niro's character got more "air time" w/r/t his home life, Murphy's character was more of the set-up funny man, though more 2-dimensional than usual. I'd recommend it if you're a fan of either of the leads, just don't expect a ground-breaking performance (the material doesn't lend itself to that. Oh, Shatner was pretty funny in his scenes (mainly parodying his TJ Hooker days).

9. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

i thought this movie was pretty bad. there might have been 3 or 4 genuine giggles/chuckles in the whole movie and that was it. i know alot who dissed the movie are saying 'what the hell is de niro thinking?', and before going into this movie i thought his comedies have been okay - Analyze This had many clever moments and Meet The Parents was hilarious. but SHOWTIME is a about as LOW as De Niro can get (let's hope). the script so cliched and unoriginal you'd expect Stallone to have done this, back when he was doing ~his~ comedies (does anyone remember grandma with the gun, or Oscar?).