1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

*** Official SERENITY Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Patrick Sun, Sep 27, 2005.

1. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

When was it stated the the opening scenes took place on Miranda?

2. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Thomas

3. KyleC

KyleC Supporting Actor

I finally got to see it tonight. I liked it alot but there's some things that really bothered me.

1) Wash's death - my fav character

2) Joss went "Hollywood" with the action scenes. I loved in the show how the space scenes had no sound. Also they seemed to have gotten rid of the zoom effect. I liked those alot.

3) Like someone else said the Western feel seemed to have been reduced alot.

4. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Henry Gale
    [c]Damaged Film[/c]

I saw the movie Saturday and noticed a damaged frame, I thought. This seemed odd on the second day of use. It comes just after Mel says that if he gets in a war a whole new side of him will be seen
    . A horizontal rough white streak appears about i/4th up on the frame.

Well today I saw the film in another town and the streak appeared again. And I spotted another one just as the crew is about to land on a now destroyed Haven.
    This one was more toward the top of the frame.

So, anyone else notice these?

5. Will_B

Will_B Producer

6. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Thomas
    Currently, Firefly is the #2 DVD on Amazon's top sellers list, second only to Cinderella. [​IMG]
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...981756-2227944

7. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Jason

8. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Yeah, even though I had never seen "Firefly" it was obvious from the dialogue and the reactions of the people when they were told they were coming that the Reavers were badass-psychos. For the purpose of this movie, I don't think they needed more introduction. They were pretty cool as far as space villains go!

9. Ric Easton

Ric Easton Cinematographer

Saw this yesterday with the wife (we were big Firefly fans). We loved it, but felt like we went thru an emotional ringer with the loss of Wash. We both really loved his character. I've gotta agree, it upped the ante. I was starting to think that no one was going to survive. In the back of my mind I was thinking... "Um, he does want a franchise, right?"

As for the rest of it, I thought Joss did an excellent job with a very difficult task. I think he was able to make it accessable to newbies (though not being one, its hard to be sure), while at the same time not boring the folks that were already along for the ride.

We didn't see it until Monday afternoon, so obviously the theater was pretty empty. My main concern is that it only opened on one screen at my 18 screen multiplex. I fear this one will be gone quickly.

Anyway, if there never is another movie, I am pretty satisfied with what we got.

Ric

10. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway

11. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Thomas

12. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway

13. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I don't get it. Why even bother with "realism" regarding sound in space, when everything else is so far removed from realism? It's like making sure that the viewer gets to see the Coyote go to the hospital after each time he gets blown up trying to catch the Roadrunner. [​IMG]

14. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Since you haven't watched the show, you don't get that the artificial sounds in space were not used on the show (like they are in movies, i.e. Star Wars, and shows like Battlestar Galactica), but positioning the battle in the upper atmosphere allowed for the audio impact of the space battle to be heard within the Firefly 'verse.

15. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I do get that, since it's been mentioned above. I just don't see the point in trying to inject that kind of realism into an otherwise unrealistic show.

In that case, why did they add sound effects to the fistfights?

16. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

17. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    Finally watched this and loved it. I seem to have a hard time summing up my thoughts on a movie or show after only one viewing, but I think you guys have already voiced many of my thoughts.
    The movie does feel different from the show. I decided to give the series some play before watching the movie and the movie's a lot darker (especially lighting wise) and much of the goofiness of the show is gone. One thing I noticed is that the Simon character seems a tad more butch. I couldn't help but notice how much of a pansy he was on the show. [​IMG]
    I'm definitely saddened by the loss of Book and Wash. Book's death seemed natural considering he was off the ship and they played up the mentor aspect. But Wash's death definitely came by suprise. I'm happy with the way they dealt with it though. I read comments that suggested his death had no impact and was merely forgotten about in the next scene, but I felt otherwise. I got a sense of Zoe's initial reaction but his death was also echoed throughout the standoff scene. Much of Zoe's actions like charging forward to kill every damn Reaver that got in came out of her feelings.
    Anyway, I'm trying to finish the last two episodes of the show and I'm having a pretty hard time. There's a scene in "Heart of Gold" where Zloe and Wash are talking about having a baby. Sad to see it's not gonna happen. [​IMG]

18. Ric Easton

Ric Easton Cinematographer

Chloe and Walsh were my favorites! [​IMG]

19. Craig S

Craig S Producer

Craig Seanor

20. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I dunno. He may have punched Mal, but he was still wearing some pretty frilly blouses. [​IMG]