What's new

Serenity (2005) (1 Viewer)

nickGreenwood

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Greenwood
I don't. I've had enough of this casting people who don't naturally resemble the characters they're playing, and then trying to make them look more like the characters artificially by dying their hair or giving them coloured contact lenses (ie Jessica Alba in Fantastic Four, and Brandon Routh in Superman Returns, who both get blue contact lenses).
wonderwomanspiritoftruth.jpg

and
Morena:
morena_baccarin.jpg

I'm not sure what you mean by casting people who don't look like the character? At least in this case, (yes Mary-Jane Watson could've been a better pick then Kirsten) but I think Morena looks pretty much like WW. Hair is the right color so that comment can get thrown out. As for the contacts, most actors wear them in movies, or they get changed digitally. No big deal. I personally think Morena would be great. Charisma would be pretty good too. Either or I'd be happy.
I'm a little bummed to not see Serenity in the #1 spot, but I can't say I'm all that surprised, what I am surprised is that it landed #2. That's not too shabby.
Hopefully we'll see more Serenity in the future... maybe bring back Firefly... Hey if Family Guy can do it, why not Firefly?

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I just heard from a friend of mine from a state far away, and she let me know about a great film she's just seen called Serenity!
What was great about this is that she is a person who'd never seen the series (like I surely had!), nor even heard of it. She was moved to see the film after reading an interview with Whedon and being impressed by him!
So she saw Serenity, and loved it, and she felt as I do that it is a smart film, with some really funny dialogue. She said she hadn't expected there to be humor in it and that was a pleasant surprise. (Perhaps because films like Star Wars have made people think that science fiction is all about angst?).
She also accurately detected that River's brother (I mean the actor who plays him) sets off the gaydar detectors. She liked all the actors, all the characters.
She dug the film and she plans on renting the series (though I expect there may be a few dozen people planning the same move on the video store!).
So, yay! It is reaching non-series-fans.
BTW She said the audience size was fairly decent but not filled. She could tell there were many fans of the series around her because of the expressions of horror and outrage when Wash dies, "They killed my favorite character!" and such.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I enjoyed it. I did like at the very beginning how they explain what happened with Earth and how all the worlds are set up. I remember discussions when the show was on. Wondering if their are different systems or one big system. This answered the question.
Too bad the answer was so silly. One giant solar system, with hundreds of planets & moons in the habitable zone, all with approximately Earth equivalent gravity? This was my biggest quibble with the movie, and it was so unnecessary.

My second biggest problem was that River's secret didn't seem like all that big a deal, although I did like the info about the origin of the Reavers. But surely other people had to know about Miranda at some point.

I'm really, really glad the toned down most of the Western stuff.

I'm really sad about killing off Wash, his jokes were one of my favorite things about the series. But I'm glad they had the guts to do something like that, even if it was just because Alan wanted to be done with the character. Book wasn't such a surprise, but they left a lot of unanswered questions about his history.

All in all, though, I felt that even if this is the only movie that gets made, Serenity provided enough closure that I can't say I'd really mind it if they did end it here.

I'm not sure what they could cover in a sequel that would be big enough for a feature film and yet didn't seem like a rehash of this and other previous stories. Maybe some big secret about what happened on Earth would be fitting.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
So...I've seen Serenity three times in the past week. First time was at the blogger screening last Tuesday. Second was last Friday, and third was today. I think I'm spent. There may be a fourth, but I highly doubt there will be a fifth time in theaters.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Saw it for the second time - loved it even more.

I hope word of mouth can give this puppy some legs.

If a sequel does get greenlit it should be interesting to see where Whedon takes Serenity. I could see Mal becoming the leader of another resistance movement against the Alliance.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
My second biggest problem was that River's secret didn't seem like all that big a deal, although I did like the info about the origin of the Reavers. But surely other people had to know about Miranda at some point.
If the government controls all the information, that all the people there are dead or Reavers, and most people would be discouraged from going there because of the Reavers, it isn't difficult to understand that most people wouldn't know about it.

Personally, I think it was a pretty solid movie all around. You didn't need to know about the characters to enjoy it, but it did make it a richer experience.

Jason

Diallo B

Screenwriter
ok folks, i have a theory on shepherd's backstory.

shepherd is a former operative. it became plain as day to me when shepherd grabbed mal right before he died and told mal that he had to believe in something that is bigger than himself.

what triggered this epiphany for me was three things.

1. when the operative does his fingerprint scan at the beginning it is awfully reminiscent of a scene in the series (episode: bushwacked) when shepherd was taken to an alliance facility to receive medical care for a injury he sustained. when he is scanned in the alliance facility accepts immediately and with urgency, no questions asked. when shepherd is asked of this later, he brushes it off.

2. both the operative and shepherd are always talking about believing in something bigger than themselves. they really stress that one must believe in something. one can say that shepherd's fanaticism with this is a given since he is man of god. but by shepherd's own admission he was not always a man of god. the similarity in how the operative and shepherd stress that one must believe is beyond just religious belief.

3. the way the operative is prepared to walk away from the alliance after he is shown the truth is very similar to how shepherd has to hide his past. just watching shepherd in the series is awfully reminiscent of the logic of the operative.

for these reasons i think that shepherd is a former operative, and you heard it hear from diallo b of the home theater forum first! :wink:

what do you think???

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Diallo, that Book was a former operative was kind of implicit to every coy remark he made throughout the series, but your illustration of how this related to the story of Serenity was masterfully done. Thank you.

David Rosen

Agent
If the government controls all the information, that all the people there are dead or Reavers, and most people would be discouraged from going there because of the Reavers, it isn't difficult to understand that most people wouldn't know about it.
Also- many of the people who live in the central planets think of Reavers as "campfire stories" or something like that (I forgot the exact quote- Simon says it in one of the two Reaver episodes, and the Alliance commander in Bushwacked seemed to support this notion). There definitely is a lack of information on these planets that make the inhabitants underestimate the Reaver threat, if they believe in Reavers at all.

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
When Mal and Book were talking about the Operative, that's when I said to myself... Sherpard Book is an ex-Operative. All makes sense to me.

*sigh*

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Also, the issue of gravity was explained somewhere as a result of the terraforming process. I don't remember exactly where due to my Firefly/Serenity binge- it may be in the roleplaying game book for Serenity or in one of the episodes.
It must be in the roleplaying book, since I haven't seen that. But it still doesn't make any sense. Gravity comes from mass. Also, it's not just gravity. Planets in different orbits around the sun are going to get differing amounts of sunlight. Miranda, being waaay at the edge of the system should barely get any sunlight at all, and yet on the surface it was ridiculously bright.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I like Diallo's summary about Book being a former operative - I had a feeling he was one, but I wasn't sure since the dialog in the screening I saw was a bit mangled (the audio was too cooked in the theater). But when I thought about it afterwards, it did make sense, and Diallo clinches it!

And yes, I loved the movie - best B-movie sci-fi movie ever? Either way, it was fun, and a little sad. Great stuff.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Wasn't there a line in the last episode of Firefly with the Operative saying of Book "He's no Preacher..."?

- Steve

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
There was a TV program playing before RIVER beat the hell out of everyone in the bar. In it (what sounded like a news report) a woman said "The Alliance has never supported claims of the existence of reavers..." it was softly in the background before the candy bar commercial turned River loony.

David Forbes

Supporting Actor
Actually, my only complaint is that she doesn't have blue eyes.
Oh, wah, wah, wah! Cripes, it's that kind of whining over absolutely inconsequential details -- hey, ever hear of CONTACT LENSES! -- that make fanboys look like completely inflexible blockheads.

For the record, I think Gina Torres would make a great Wonder Woman. Not that I really give a crap about that character or the movie, but she's a wonderful actress who has the athleticism to pull it off.

But I guess that idea would make you start foaming at the mouth....

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I saw this Sunday night.
It was in the one of the theaters biggest theaters.
I'm a fan of the show(discovered it on DVD)
Overall, I was happy with the film, but yet somewhat disappointed.
I did feel that the transfer over to film had lost some of it's tone.
Also disappointed on the deaths in the movie.
But glad Inara stayed on the ship
Im definitely going to see this again sometime this week, as I think the second viewing will help me like it better.
I just wished it was still on the air:frowning:

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I am clearly in the minority here, but I haven't seen the TV show at all, save for some promos. This is what I wrote on the first page in the other "Firefly movie" thread:
As it happened, I wanted to see a movie this past weekend, and "Serenity" was the only one that was showing during the time I wanted to go. So I saw it.
I am still surprised that this movie even made it into theaters. And I'm surprised that it made even $10M at the box office, since the show is still rather obscure, even though it had good DVD sales.
However, the movie itself was pretty good. And by that I mean that the first 45 minutes were extremely dull, with numerous references to a TV series I'd never seen, so that just made it even less interesting. The tone of in the first half was way too self-congratulatory, and it really felt like Whedon just loved how clever and witty he thinks he was in his dialogue. The movie also felt way too TV-like, and generally pretty purposeless. I was ready to walk out of the theater at that point.
Then, when River finally started kicking ass and the actual storyline of the movie with the Reavers and the Alliance cover-up began, it was like it was a different movie. It had focus, great action sequences, a more serious tone, and some great character moments. I really like that part of the movie. Some of the characters were interesting (the Alliance agent was great, the captain of the ship (Mal?) was a complex and interesting anti-hero) and the story was finally going places.
I just don't get what the target audience is for this movie, except for the "Firefly" fans (and Whedon fans, I guess, unless they're the same) and those like me who found nothing better in that timeslot to watch. :).
I have watched better sci-fi on TV this year ("Battlestar Galactica" really raised the bar, IMO, and entertaining fluff like "Stargate Atlantis" still beat this movie, IMO), and I would be surprised if this movie doesn't dive-bomb at the box office next week already, even if it was actually pretty good in the end. :)
By the way... have you guys looked at the IMDB all time rating? The "Firefly" fans have gone out in force, and through 8000 votes put it at #136 of 250 on the all time list... :D:D:D:D I wonder if all of those voters have even seen it yet... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks