1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

*** Official SERENITY Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Patrick Sun, Sep 27, 2005.

1. BrettGallman

BrettGallman Screenwriter

Brett
    On here, maybe, but I really don't think the general public knows what it's missing. Not saying everyone would love the movie, but I think it would get a lot more appreciation generally if people would actually give it a look.

2. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean

3. Mary_P

Mary_P Second Unit

Oh, I'm so dying to go here ... but I'll continue to hold out hopes that a sequel will do it for me. [​IMG]
    All I can say is think about what you know about Shepherd Book.

4. BrettGallman

Brett
    Yeah, I really hope we get the story of Shepherd Book someday, be it in comics, or in a sequel which probably won't be made. [​IMG]
    I'm guessing his origins weren't told in the comic? (I've never read it, obviously)

5. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    The movie (if you had seen the TV show) make very clear implications that Book might have been a Operative
    , or at least a dangerous man with knowledge of them.

6. Mary_P

Mary_P Second Unit

Book's back story isn't revealed in the comic, no; just his departure from Serenity. I think there are enough clues in the movie and series to draw some conclusions. Here's one from the movie, at the end of the discussion of the type of man the Alliance is likely to send:
    MAL: It's of interest to me how much you seem to know about that world.
    BOOK: I wasn't *born* a shepherd, Mal.
    MAL: You'll have to tell me about that sometime.
    BOOK: No, I don't.

7. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Agree with you Chuck regarding being evil and doing evil. Good separation there. Now the part about ' Serenity being appreciated 'sometimes overly so'....not so sure about [​IMG]
    For me the overdone love fest I think stems from 1. Lack of any knowlege of Serenity or Firefly before I saw the dvd. Really went into this expecting nothing and got back more than I could have ever hoped. and 2. Serenity is just so different than anything I've seen in recent years. Maybe ever. It's not the greatest film of all time for sure, but a great one that only true great films can do: Get better with each viewing. [​IMG]
    So unique to really care about so many characters in one film but the crew of Serenity is one of a kind. Not a big fan of Jane although in the series he is more of a prick at times. The movie shows a softer side to me.
    I also never watch the Sci-Fi channel. I don't even have that channel so this was something virginistic for me. [​IMG]

8. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H
    I don't know that I agree with you, Chuck. That's an odd, philosophical line you are choosing to blur.

Certainly, radical Islamic terrorists kill 'infidels' because they think it is good and will bring about a better world. But, I'm pretty comfortable calling them evil.

I definitely consider the Operative to be evil. He is an evil, goose-stepping, operative of an evil empire. He is close to amoral. He actually changes at the end and no longer believes in the evil empire, so he is on the path to redemption. Much like Book likely had done.

9. BrettGallman

Brett
    I was about to post the same thing about the Book's path being like the operative's here. I am familiar with the series and do know about the implications of Book working for the Alliance. I'd really like to see what made him turn. Maybe he got in a situation and had to face the evil he was doing, like the Operative in Serenity.

10. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    I suppose I am blurring the line based on the perspective the Operative shows...he is aware his acts are evil. That insight somewhat negates the term for me. Like a cop shooting a 14 year old with a gun, he recognizes his act as evil but necessary.

A terrorist is not a good analogy. A CIA agent torturing a man to find the location of a nuclear bomb in a city is a better analogy.

Most calling him evil are coming from the "hero" POV that the Alliance is evil. He doesn't think it is.

I understand the notion that you are what you do. And he does evil. So calling him evil is OK. But it's not that simple.

And your redemption sounds suspiciously like the facile redemption some folks confer to Vader. We don't want that discussion. When you have done the things the Operative has done...there cannot be redemption. Merely some meager level of atonement.

11. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

To me, one simple action irremediably qualifies the operative as evil: the extreme cruelty of having a completely powerless man face the inevitability of his own painful impending death.

He didn't have to off the doctor that way. Can you imagine what must have been going through his mind as he stood there paralysed? "It's a good death" my ass.

That is the behaviour of someone who enjoys causing suffering.

That is a evil as it gets in my book.

--

H

12. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    Shoot...that was him being generous. The guy sucked at his job. The Operative let him go out with dignity...on a sword [​IMG]
    Very roman,
    Chuck

13. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H

14. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover

15. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

It hurt my head seeing him in Sexy Boots. He was quite good in it, but halfway through they movie I realized where I recognized him from.

16. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Never heard of Sexy Boots. But then again I lived in an armpit of civilization. [​IMG]

17. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

I saw Chiwetel Ejiofor in Love Actually and Inside Man. Pretty good, but nowhere near as cool and charismatic as in Serenity.
    --
    H

18. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Where's he from? Just curious...[​IMG]

19. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Just browsed Yahoo Movies: Here's a snippett:
    With a disarming façade and quiet intensity, actor Chiwetel Ejiofor—or Chewy for those who can’t pronounce it—has seemingly come out of nowhere to poise himself as the next Big Thing to come out of England. Whether on stage or screen—both large and small—Ejiofor has carved out an impressive career in the short time he’s been an actor. But despite all the critical acclaim and good notices that he’s received for his performances over the years, Ejiofor has remained a relative unknown across the pond.
    Ejiofor was born to Nigerian émigrés in Forest Gate, East London—his dad was a doctor, his mom a pharmacist. Ejiofor discovered his true calling at an early age when he became awed by Cary Grant’s performance in “Once Upon A Honeymoon” (1942). At 13, Ejiofor began performing in school productions and for the National Youth Theatre, where he tackled the title roles in Julius Caesar and Othello. Ejiofor continued acting at Dulwich College, located in the heart of London and founded by Shakespearean player Edward Alleyne in 1619 for the benefit of actors. Ejiofor moved on to the prestigious London Academy of Music and Dramatic Arts, where he garnished a reputation as a commanding stage presence in productions at the Almeida Theatre Company and the Royal National Theatre.
    He then made his first appearance on screen in the made-for-cable movie “Deadly Voyage” (HBO, 1996). The stylish suspense thriller told the tale of nine African refugees who sneak aboard a Russian cargo ship en route to France. Though Ejiofor’s role as Ebow wasn’t exactly high-profile, he did manage to catch the attention of Stephen Spielberg, who cast him in his historical drama, “Amistad” (1997). Starring Morgan Freeman, Anthony Hopkins and Djimon Hounsou, the 19 year-old Ejiofor played the small role of Ensign Covey. But the high-profile gig allowed the still relatively green Ejiofor to find more promising parts.
    [​IMG]

20. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

His name is obviously Nigerian. But of course I would know that 'cause I am cool like that.

--

H