1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

*** Official SERENITY Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Patrick Sun, Sep 27, 2005.

1. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

F that! [​IMG]
    It's funny though, because I think a lot of us had that thought..., but forget a new movie. I'd have them make a new season for 60 million and put it on DVD. [​IMG]

2. Robert Anthony

Robert Anthony Producer

You know you could do about FIVE seasons with 60 million, right? Or hell, two Serenity movies.
    Or you could buy a bunch of hookers and blow. It's sort of a fifty/fifty thing, yunno? [​IMG]

3. Robert Ringwald

Actually, the average episode of television (or at least, FIREFLY) cost something like 2.3 million an episode. For 22 episodes... that's a big amount of money. [​IMG]

4. Robert Anthony

Robert Anthony Producer

oh crap, I was assuming each season would be 13 episodes.

Honestly, 22 episode seasons suck. It's like the major league baseball season--way too long.

5. Robert Ringwald

Depends on the series and the creator... I think Six Feet Under and other shows on HBO work amazing with shorter seasons because the stories are really great... Firefly was GREAT for those 15... and I have a feeling the final 7 would have been amazing.

6. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

7. Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs Screenwriter

I think the shows that benefit from shorter seasons are the ones that largely tell an overall story. Seeing that Firefly was reasonably episodic, I don't see why it would hurt to have full 22 episode seasons. That's how whedon's other shows worked, and quite well at that.

8. Robert Ringwald

You could also have seen how the movie would have worked as a whole season or two of information. I'm sure there were whole bits that would have just been minor elements in a single episode that had a different focus. Just makes you wish you could at least read scripts or something for episodes that might have never made it to air. [​IMG]

9. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Or rather little bits that would have been whole episodes on the show. Like when River flips out. That would have had atleast an episode revolving entirely around that.

10. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

John Co
    Was this week's episode of Firefly on Sci-Fi, the last episode? This one had Inara say she was leaving.

11. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    If I recall correctly, she tells Mal she's leaving in "Heart of Gold," the second to last episode.

12. Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan Screenwriter

(see above)
    I went to see the film for a third (and most likely last) time last night. The show I went to was sold out, it was a packed theater...alot of fun and the film gets better everytime I watch it. Quick question... why is Mal getting a shot from Simon in the opening as they are discussing River's participation in the heist? Does that have to do with a past episode?

13. Eddy-C

Eddy-C Supporting Actor

I think that was just to tell the audience that Simon is the ship's doctor. All the crew first appear, doing their thing. Jayne with his gun, Zoe going to her husband, Kaylee working on the engine, and Simon being a pissa..Doctor.

14. James T

James T Screenwriter

15. Rutgar

Rutgar Second Unit

16. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

James, Tom was talking about the injection that Simon gives Mal during the walkabout on Serenity.

17. Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan Screenwriter

(see above)

18. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    Watched it for the first time tonight. Went to the 10PM Sunday show, figuring it'd be mostly empty; actually, there were about 20 of us in the theater, which made it not totally empty [​IMG]
    I enjoyed the general structure of the film, very different; though having never watched the TV show, I think some of the backstory (like what was the deal with the assassin?) left a lot of guesswork.. but that's OK.

19. Brian Sheffield

Brian Sheffield Stunt Coordinator

Brian
    I enjoyed the movie for the most part. There are only a few things that should be changed.

Spoiler tags because i dont know the policy for this thread.

1. Too many characters. There was no real reason to even have Book and Inara in this film at all, and Wash had only two funny lines then he's dead. No big deal if you've seen the series and loved it, but for me, a new viewer, there was no time to develop an attachment at all. It was just BOOM the pilot with two funny quips is dead, oh well.

2. They should have a shown a public reaction somewhere, hell anywhere, once the signal gets out. They make a huge deal about getting the message out, and then show no reaction whatsover?! Even the "bad guy" lets them go afterwards with just two or three lines of exposition. After that build up, the movie needed more closure for the plot.

3. They should have had the operative draw his sword after Serenity takes off. He did have that seppuku speech earier after all.

20. Rutgar

Rutgar Second Unit

Brian, now that you've seen the film, you should check out the series. Pretty much most of your issues with the film, are resolved if you're familiar with the series. The large ensemble cast works very well in the series. And that's one of the problems that many fans of the show were concerned with, when it came to turning "Firefly" into a 2-hour feature.