What's new

Serenity (2005) (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Hell, look at the stuff people in the 1930s thought people would have in 50 years (personal flying transportation being the norm, a la The Fifth Element cityscape), and we still aren't there and won't be there for another good 50 years if not longer. But we have made tremendous technological advances, but some things will remain similar, form following function, of course, even in 500 years.

BTW, I've been within 2-3 feet of Jewel Staite (Kaylee), and she's simply a refreshing girl-next-door type whose personality doesn't disappoint in person, either.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
By "futuristic" do you mean stark white hallways and touchscreen panels or something?
Not at all. I make no assumptions that the "future" will be stark white. Touchscreen panels? Maybe. Just some stuff that's clearly not available today, but could be 400+ years from now. Parts of the movie gave me a feeling of "well, we'll just use today's off the shelf stuff to get the effect we want". I feel the same way about Alien. Some of the technology shown was so obviously 70s computer technology that it took me out of the movie a bit.

Probably the best example of what a filmmaker can do when he really puts his mind to it is 2001 (the SF film that's most "immune" to looking dated, IMO). And no, my comment has nothing to do with "stark white walls".

It's really not a major criticism, though. Like I said, the movie doesn't rely as much as other films on whiz-bang technology to "grab" people, and that's good. It wasn't the technology in Alien that made it effective, for that matter.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Relevant to the antique look of the show: There is an episode of the tv series where you can spot Microsoft Windows running on a garbage scow's touch panel. Click here for pic.
And though I hated the way people were dissecting this film financially, here's the latest worldwide gross info:
Domestic: $22,511,785 78.5%
+ Overseas: $6,159,674 21.5%
= Worldwide: $28,671,459

CharlesD

Screenwriter
I’m just saying that a more convincing future hardware “background” that fits the premise of being 500 years in the future (using stuff from the past few decades still puts you over 400 years into the future) would draw me even further into the story.
You're right. The background doesn't quite fit the premise.
Although overall they did a fantastic job of making the film stand alone, this is one place where I think the film falls down a little for people who haven't seen the TV series.
The background is of rich, technologically advanced central planets, and less advanced outer planets. Its easier/cheaper for the newly settled planet to make simpler less advanced equipment than the more futuristic stuff. So both old and new tech exist in this world. In the TV shows the viewer gets glimpses of the flying cars (and island estates!) laser guns and fancy holographic projectors.
Looking around me here, I see a beer bottle :) a fire place, book shelves, tables and chairs that could have existed in a similar form 300 years ago.

Rutgar

Second Unit
Yes. In fact, look at some of the more remote places in Asia or the Middle East. Those places easily look like they did 400 years ago. So, I think you could look at the outer planets at being similar, in the Firefly universe.

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
Oddly enough, I thought when they were both at DragonCon ... Jewel is tons hotter and more attractive than Morena. On screen, this kinda reverses and Morena assumes this exotic sexuality that's very appealing, while Jewel seems to "plain" down some. Whacky.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
With Inara, I'd feel I'd have to know which fork was the salad fork and such. Too much effort.
Also, I think it would be hard to impress Inara. Too much has gone on with her.
Man, Summer Glau is almost unrecognisable in these pics. She really cleans up well. :D
Jason

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
I figured as much but didn't want to say it.:)
I guess I've moved on from the girl-next-door types who clean up sort of okay when they're not packing on the pounds like mommy. Must be why I've been seeing a Lebanese girl who's a former model/ballet dancer and speaks seven languages.
"Don't underestimate my powers!" :D
I do confess Morena didn't look quite as good in her Firefly interviews as she does on the show, mostly her skin. I thought she looked a little softer in the movie than on the show, but she sure is lean in the photo shoot that was just posted. She looks AMAZING. And, yeah, Summer looks good there too. Jewel is still Jewel. She's okay, but she's like eternally 16 years old. I always expect her to be popping bubble gum. She rounds out the cast of characters nicely however.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Okay is it just me or has this official thread about "Serenity" the film now veered creepily into almost stalker territory what with the objectification of the female actors in this film? Any female forum members wanna chime in with their opinions? With all due respect this is still HTF, yes? Not basement dwelling netgeeks.com.
Or maybe it's just me?
:) d

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Dave, you're absolutely right, and also, where is the praise for River Tam? ;-)

Man, Summer Glau is almost unrecognisable in these pics. She really cleans up well.
Oh wait, there it is.

Still, River is CRAZY. CRAZY! And with that creepy brother hanging around all the time.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Okay is it just me or has this official thread about "Serenity" the film now veered creepily into almost stalker territory what with the objectification of the female actors in this film? Any female forum members wanna chime in with their opinions? With all due respect this is still HTF, yes? Not basement dwelling netgeeks.com.
:rolleyes
--
H

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
Well, the film did give us ladies some nice stuff to look at also. There was a lovely scene of a shirtless Sean Mayer at the end.

And I found Nathan Fillion to be really appealing. The Harrison Ford comparisons I've read aren't far off. I hope he can find some good roles to make the leap into movie stardom.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
My wife definitly thinks Nathan Fillion is hot stuff.

She also likes Alan Tudyk as well, which is why Wash's death really saddened her...

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks