What's new

*** Official SEMI-PRO Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
The unrated trailer makes it look way more funny than the standard trailer. Part of this was filmed in my town and it was pretty neat seeing all the movie stuff around town for a few days. Hope it does well.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Will Ferrell is only as good as his material. I liked "Blades of Glory" and "Elf," but I didn't think "Talledega Nights" or "Anchorman" were all that great. Anchorman especially bugged me because the level of visual sophistication of actual 1970s local newscasts was nowhere near what the movie depicted them as. I thought he was miscast in the otherwise charming "Curious George" animated movie.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Personally, I find him utterly hilarious. Comedy/funny is usually just personal preference. Clearly, millions agree with me and many don't.

He has 2 characters, basically:

obnoxious and oblivious (aka ignoramus) - Anchorman, Talladega, Blades, Semi-Pro, Kicking and Screaming (a terrible film)

and, sweet and oblivious (aka innocent) - Elf, Old School, Stranger than Fiction

He mixes the two up often enough that it keeps it fresh enough for his fans. I think Step Brothers (the trailer is hilarious) will be BOTH sweet AND obnoxious. And, co-starring John C. Reilly again. Can't wait!

Dennis Castro

Second Unit

You do realize that this is a comedy?

A goofy Nonsensical one at that(and very funny as well.)

The accuracy of the type broadcasts from that era was not exactly with point of the film.

IT IS A COMEDY

Phil_L

Second Unit
How has no one mentioned Zoolander? "I feel like I'm taking CRAZY PILLS!!!" :laugh: Still his best role, rivaled only by Ron Burgandy in Anchorman.

Pete-D

Screenwriter
His movies aren't that funny, but the concept of the characters is hillarious. I remember being really hyped to see Anchorman, but the final product wasn't as funny as the concept.

He still deserve big props for being a big part of turning SNL around in the mid/late 90s.

Ferrell was also in Night At the Roxbury, so you can add that to the list -- a funny SNL skit that really didn't work as a movie.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

If the film were funnier I wouldn't have minded so much.

Semi-Pro looks like another misfire. It seems Will's following the same, sad career trajectory as so many other SNL stars.

Shad R

Supporting Actor
Whoa, with all the Will Farrel bashing! I must be in the minority here, but I loved Anchorman and Taledega, thought Blades was OK, and Kicking and Screaming wasn't as bad as people led me to beleive. The only really terrible movie he ever did, in my opinion, was Bewitched. That was painful to watch.
I really liked this movie. Better than Blades, not quit as good as Anchorman.
The audience I was with loved it too, as the audience laughed a whole lot. There are some gags that misfire, and the love interest didn't need to be there (maybe they only put it there so they could lead up to one really funny joke). But come on, they traded a washing machine for a former NBA player! Just typing that made me laugh. And Woody Harleson, Will Arnett and Andrew Daly get their chance to be funny as well.
I guess you either like these kinds of movies, or you don't. I do.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Ferrell is digging his own hole. He definitely needs to give the 'sports' movies a rest and move on.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Semi-Pro". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Semi-Pro" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Dennis Castro

Second Unit

Yeah lets cool the jets on flaming this guy.

Lets get some perspective. Farrel has had one of the most successful crossovers from SNL the big screen. No comedian no matter how good they are hits a home run every single time. This one was not his best. The best you can hope for is to have more hits than misses and I think that Farrell has succeeded in doing that so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks