1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

*** Official SECRET WINDOW Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Robert Anthony, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Robert Anthony

Robert Anthony Producer

I don't get this--this has got to be the first time there's been a Stephen King adaptation--and Stephen King's name is nowhere to be found in any of the advertising. As a matter of fact, all the advertising seems to center on David Koepp writing it.

I've never heard of a film adaptation being advertised without the author of the adaptation being mentioned. Any ideas as to why they're trumpeting the ADAPTER'S involvement and not the original author? Especially when that author has sold more books than Burger King has sold Whoppers?

And aside from that, anyone got any thoughts on the flick? Trailers have started hitting, there was a commercial in the Super Bowl. I'm a little nonplussed, even considering the caliber of cast and the writer adapting it. It's a lot of talent, but it doesn't seem to be doing much for me. Maybe it's the story itself. It's not much of a standout, and it seems like it's territory already covered by "The Dark Half"

Any thoughts you guys/girls?

2. Mick Wright

Mick Wright Second Unit

The most surprising thing to me is the Panic Room blurb. David Koepp has been involved with far better films than that one imo.

3. Robert Anthony

Robert Anthony Producer

Yeah, I thought that was kind of odd, too..no one really remembers Panic Room because of the story--it's the concept of the Panic Room that seems to stick most.

Maybe it's because it's the most recent movie of Koepp's that shares the same "Suspense" feel that Secret Window does. I don't know. That's the most likely explanation. It' just weird to me--you could put "From the writer of Jurassic Park and Spiderman" if you wanted to list some of his more famous adaptations.

I'm just not very comfortable with this being advertised as a David Koepp movie as opposed to a Stephen King adaptation.

4. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

I like the supernatural trailer during the Super Bowl versus the Turturro-oriented thriller style trailers running in the theater.

I don't think Turturro is even in the version shown during the SB.

5. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Hmm, a Stephen King adaptation written and directed by David Koepp starring Johnny Depp, John Turturro, Maria Bello, Ving Rhames and (apparently) Timothy Hutton?

Hell sign me up! The trailer certainly does smell a little like The Dark Half, and I'd agree that this particular novella is hardly King's best work.

But yeah, I'm psyched for this one.

Then again....

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Robert Anthony

Robert Anthony Producer

But that's the thing Scott--the studio seems to be trying to HIDE that it's Stephen King adaptation? maybe Dreamcatcher has something to do with that? I dunno. It's just weird that of the two writers on the project (Koepp and King) that the studio completely X's out King and promotes Koepp. I think most viewers won't even know it's a Stephen King movie until after the movie starts unspooling.

7. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Well, it seems to me that the best adaptations of King's works are the ones where the general populace (those not intimately familiar with King) don't seem to know it's based off of his stories (Shawshank and Stand By Me spring to mind). Maybe this is a good think? [​IMG]

8. Robert Anthony

Robert Anthony Producer

9. Kevin Grey

Kevin Grey Cinematographer

But with both Shawshank and Stand by Me one of the reasons that they didn't use King's name was because his name is associated with horror and both movies were dramas. The trailers for Secret Window play up the supernatural angle so I'm not sure why King's name isn't featured.

I loved the novella Secret Window, Secret Garden but, knowing the ending, I'm not sure I have much interest in the movie.

10. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Maybe studios are starting to catch on that there's a negative reputation to most (though of course not all--see Carrie, The Shining) Stephen King adaptations. Certainly to me that's a good enough reason to avoid seeing a movie. [​IMG]

11. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

Well, the PANIC ROOM mention doesn't have me charging for the theater to see this one.

12. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

Well, I'd be interested to hear from someone who liked this, but wow, did I think it stunk.

Before I was 20 minutes into the film, I started thinking about how most of Koepp's previous work was subject to uncredited tinkering or collaboration. Now that he's directing, he's got nobody to fall back on but himself, and I dare say he doesn't know how to separate the wheat from the chaff. He can adeptly build suspense, but the film is loaded down with so many cliches and little quirks that go nowhere, so even the parts that are supposed (?) to be taken seriously can't be (Note my question mark - I think it's a dangerous sign if I start questioning the director's intent less than 20 minutes into the film - and I never was fully satisfied whether this was supposed to be high camp or thriller material).

13. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

I always wondered if, into shooting, a director thinks to himself "God, this isn't working!" and plods ahead anyway. Reviews I've seen say Depp is great, but the movie itself isn't quite there. As a writer and someone who has attempted a few little video projects, I know what looks great of the page sometimes does not work in "real life."

14. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Well, I enjoyed the hell out of it. It's clearly a short story, but I think Depp and Koepp breathed some real fun into it. It wasn't hard for me to know where it was going, but I had a fun time getting there. It was worth the price of admission for Depp alone, but watching John Turturro chew up the place was also great fun.

15. Kevin Grey

I haven't seen the movie but assuming its the same ending from the book-

It may seem really derivative and overused from recent movies, but it was very surprising to me when I read the novella 15 years ago.

16. Kevin Leonard

Kevin Leonard Supporting Actor

Nope. Movie's ending and the novella's ending are VERY different.

17. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Secret Window" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Secret Window" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

18. Michael Pakula

Michael Pakula Second Unit

Kevin,

What happens in the novel's ending for the book?.

-Mike

19. Kevin Grey

Michael,

In the Novella,

The John Turturro character (Shooter?) turns out to a multiple personality of the Johnny Depp character, so in essence Depp's character was the one doing the murders.

20. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

That's also the movie's ending, isn't it?