*** Official SEABISCUIT Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Robert Crawford, Jul 21, 2003.

1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I see that jockey Gary Stevens is playing George "The Iceman" Woolf in this film.

Crawdaddy

2. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    Ebert & Roeper devoted extra time to Seabiscuit on their show this past weekend. The gave it two strong [​IMG] .

3. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Yes - looks like Seabiscuit could bag some Oscar noms.

4. Robert Crawford

Robert
    This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Seabiscuit" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Seabiscuit" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

5. John_McKittrick

John_McKittrick Stunt Coordinator

I've been saying it for months now.

John

6. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H
    I don't think it has a chance at the Oscars. This, by all accounts, should be a strong year. And, after seeing this schmaltz-fest of a film, I doubt that "Seabiscuit" will be remembered in October, let alone January.

It's just too heavy handed and too slow and too obvious. And, no performances stick out.

7. Karl_Luph

Karl_Luph Supporting Actor

I'll be willing to give it the benefit of a doubt and go see it. Some people that find certain movies boring and slow are looking for the wrong substance that makes a movie appealing to others. If anything, I'll enjoy the music and period settings plus I enjoy horse racing. It sounds like it's going to be one of those kind of movies that makes you feel good inside, and that's just fine with me.

8. Robert Crawford

Robert
    To each his own, but this film delivered for me.

Crawdaddy

9. steve jaros

steve jaros Second Unit

Steve
    This movie will perform - box office wise and awards-wise - about the same as another Dreamworks film from last summer, Road to Perdition.

That movie did about 100 mill BO, and i expect the same for Seabiscuit.

That movie also was lauded as an early oscar frontrunner, but as often happens, it was pretty much buried by the avalanche of fall/winter oscar targeted movies and garnered just one big nom, for paul newman.

Likewise SB will be only a minor player come oscar 2004.

10. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H
    Correct me if I'm wrong...but, Perdition opened in a whole load of theaters last summer, and had Tom Hanks in it. I believe it opened #1.

"Seabiscuit" is opening on under 2,000 screens, and Lara Croft will most likely open #1 this week. I don't think "Seabiscuit" can make $100 mil.

And, don't misread my earlier post. I liked "Seabiscuit" well enough. It was certainly a welcome change for the summer. My earlier comments are in regard to Oscar potential.

11. Christopher Bosley

Christopher Bosley Stunt Coordinator

The question is not whether Seabiscuit will make $100 million but how close it will get to $200 million.

I saw it tonight here in Baltimore at The Senator theater, a grand old 900-seat showcase. Every seat in the theater was filled, as crowded as it's been at any Star Wars, Matrix, or Lord of the Rings opening. Lines were down the block for the second show as well.

The word of mouth on this will be incredibly positive and with the dog days of August coming up, there will be no serious competition in terms of a wide-appeal film. Yes, SWAT and American Wedding will have their weekends but this film will be the one everybody tells everyone else that they *have* to see.

12. Robert Crawford

Robert
    I have a feeling that Christopher might be right. It will be interesting to see how much money this film made yesterday.

13. steve jaros

steve jaros Second Unit

Steve
    Quentin wrote:

14. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

For those interested in more additional information on Seabiscuit, A&E is showing "The True Story of Seabiscuit" at 9 p.m. EDT on Sunday (Tomorrow). And right before in the 8 p.m. slot is a Biography on Jeff Bridges.

15. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Thanks Patrick!

16. Claire Panke

Claire Panke Second Unit

I agree with Christopher on this.

I've also been saying for months that Seabiscuit will perform very well at the box office.

The book was huge, the kind of book people recommneded to friends saying "you have to read this". The same will hold for the film...word of mouth will build momentum. It's not frontloaded, but it will definitely have legs. Dreamworks didn't position Seabiscuit to win the weekend, they clearly expect this film to be performing well into the last of August and through September. It's a completely different release pattern from the "hit 'em big the first weekend and hope they don't drop more than 50%" strategy of the usual summer blockbusters.

I think comparisons to Road To Perdition don't hold up. Yes, RTP was also a glossy period piece with awards potential released in July. It also had star power in Tom Hanks and Paul Newman. But there the similarities end. RTP was a dark and gloomy operatic tale of revenge and betrayal. Seabiscuit is a feel good, rags to riches tale that ends on a note of triumph over tragedy. Much better summer fare, and far more appealing to a broad audience weary of the Iraqi war and disappointed with current cinema fodder.

POTC aside, there is a sizable audience that isn't enamored of comic book heroes, shit blowing up, scatalogical humour or teenage angst. I, and most of the people I know, could care less about Laura Croft (although I would love to know what support garment keeps Angelina's breasts *totally* immobile during action scenes...CGI?)

Like Christopher's experience in Baltimore, my anecdotal evidence also suggests Seabiscuit is going to be a hit. Ten of us went to see it last night in Indianapolis. (It wasn't a sellout...there were 4 or 5 empty seats in the first row of the 374 seat theater...the 3:45 matinee *was* a sellout, however.) People clapped and cheered during the movie, and applauded at the end. I haven't seen a reaction like this since TTT. When we left the theater at 9:30pm, there was already a line of 50 or more people outside the auditorium to see the 10:15 showing. This is Indy, mind, you, where motor sports are king, not horseracing. Gee, this smells like a hit to me.

BTW, although I'll share my thoughts about the film in detail later, I can tell you that our group, comprised of eight adults thirty to sixty years old and two children (9 & 10), all loved Seabiscuit, the non horsey folks as much as the horse people. Do you think these people *aren't* going to tell their friends to go see this??? Heck, even my fellow realtors at the office plan to see this movie.

It ain't perfect, it's sentimental and old fashioned, but Seabiscuit will indeed be a hit. Like the real Seabiscuit, this longshot of a film may be a bit slow at the break but will prove to be a real stayer.

I haven't read any figures yet, but I'm betting the 'Biscuit will easily perform in the $150,000,000 range by the finish line, maybe more.

17. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H
    Well...it finished in FIFTH place at the B.O. for Friday with 6.3 million. Not a great sign for anyone looking to hit $100 mil.

18. Robert Crawford

Robert

Word of mouth will spread. Unlike, the other two films opening this weekend, "Seabiscuit" is showing in less than 2000 theaters.

19. steve jaros

steve jaros Second Unit

Steve
    Claire Panke wrote:

20. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    I went to watch the movie afternoon at 4pm. I went to my local theatre.. It has 10 screens.. both screen 1 and screen 10 are the big ones.. the other are smaller. the movie was in screen 1.. which suprised since its playing in less theatres then the other two films.. I got there about 20 minutes before the show.. it was already getting full. alot of people of all ages.. I had not seen this kind of excitement for a movie in a while. specially in my home town. since the two towers last christmas.. they cheered during one scene in the movie, and also cheered when the movie was over.. I thought that was interesting because of my small town.. didn;t expect that. I liked the movie, even when it took the time to tell the story.

JACOB