What's new

*** Official SCHOOL OF ROCK Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I'll go check out any film by Linklater. I think he is one of the more consistant directors working today and i've liked all his films (except the Newton Boys). I also noticed that a couple of the guys gave it thumbs up ratings in the Film List Thread.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
SoR was shown at the Toronto Film Festival last month and surprised most observers by being one of the best received films of the event.

Everything I've read says that Jack Black was born for this role. He is supposedly just great with the kids. In addition, I've seen a number of reviews point out that Linklater took the time to give each of the kids a story arc, which makes them work as characters and not just living props for Black to play off of. Finally, Joan Cusack is said to make the most of an underwritten role.

Sounds like a fun flick. I'm looking forward to it.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
There was a sneak preview of this last weekend. I saw it on Sunday afternoon, and attendance was sort of sparse. The kids loved it, some even applauded.

The film was fun, but unappologetically commercial. It's plainly obvious where the story will go and your enjoyment will depend heavily on your tolerance for Jack Black. Black's enthusiasm for rock n roll, and the obvious talents of the kids are the best parts of the film (I'm convinced the kids are actually playing the music).

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Darn it, I missed that, Kyle... Maybe when JB is on SNL this weekend, the kids will come on the show as well. While the movie was just okay, I'd actually be interested in seeing this "band" play a show.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "School of Rock" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "School of Rock" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

RyanPC

Stunt Coordinator
I really wanna see this movie, it looks like a lot of fun. And of course Jack Black is funny as hell. :D

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Rottentomatoes.com has it at 88% with 60 reviews being counted. That's fantastic. Being a BIG Jack Black fan, there's no way I'm missing this.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Or am I helplessly naive? And if so, How do you "air-DRUM" so convincingly?
Caught SoR yesterday.

My guess is that, unless they did some stuff with CG, the kids ARE playing. The playing was rough enough that for the most part, you know they didn't bring in Eddy Van Halen and Neil Peart to dub it.

The outro guitar solo for the AC/DC cut at the end was perfect in terms of the kid's finger work, same with the keyboards and drums.

I would say that they probably ran auditions at Juliard or some other top shelf music school, and got kids that could play. The only person who's finger playing didn't match was Jack, and even then, only on the "face melting" solos. His chord work was correct.

Another thing I really, really liked about this film was that they got the details right. There is no way this movie would have worked if he had the kids started playing Radiohead or Nirvana.

When Jack hands out CD's for homework, his commentary on each one was dead-nuts in terms of what each kid should listen for.

Seriously, can anyone name another movie where Neil Peart gets a mention, and a correct mention at that?

I didn't find myself bent over with laughter like in an Austin Powers movie, but the story was great, and the details were perfect.

Contrast that with the remake of the Italian Job. I like it a lot, but when the gang is talking about what they will spend their money on, the Seth Green character (Napster, LOL!) says he is going to get a monster stereo with Burr-Brown D. A. C.'s.

D. A. C. 's? Am I the only guy on the HTF that calls 'em DACs (pronounced dacks)? I hate it when they get it wrong.

BGL

Chris Moe

Screenwriter
Both the guitarist and the drummer have been playing since they were three. I don't know how long the other kids have been playing their instruments but all the kids are really playing in the movie.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
According to the Entertainment Weekly article last month, all the kids could play their instruments well (or sing well), as in "child prodigy" well.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
Anyone else besides me would love to have a poster with the blackboard that Dewey fills with the names of bands and performers? That would be a awesome poster to have in my apartment.

Joe McCabe

Second Unit
On the trailer, I notice that the film features lots of young children, but I then noticed it's rated PG-13.

I was thinking of watching it with my 6 year old son, but I have no idea what to expect from it.

What would you say in the film caused it to get a PG-13?

Thanks in advance.

Burke Strickland

Second Unit
Here's how Roger Ebert closes his 3 1/2 star (out of 4) review of "School of Rock":

Note: I have absolutely no clue why the movie is rated PG-13. There's "rude humor and some drug references," the MPAA says. There's not a kid alive who would be anything but delighted by this film. It belongs on the MPAA's List of Shame with "Whale Rider" and "Bend It Like Beckham," two other PG-13 films perfect for the family.
Complete review at: Ebert's School of Rock Review You should pretty well know what to expect from the movie after reading the review.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Watched it last night and there is no major profanity that I can recall. It does makes references to hangovers and one character gets 'happy' drinking a large beer. If you are OK with this one scene of alcohol drinking it shouldn't be a problem.

As usual one should always watch the movie themselves first before letting the kids see it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks