1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

*** Official SAVED Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Robert Crawford, Jun 5, 2004.

1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Saved" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Saved" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

2. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

Quit fighting about Riddick, Soul Plane, Steford Wives, Thursday, and Garfield. Go see this instead. Not perfect, but plenty of good laughs and better than the above selections.

3. RafaelB

RafaelB Second Unit

I totally agree with Joseph's assessment, SAVED is one of the high points of the summer films released so far, even though there's some well-worn cliches, this film makes so many good observations with its satire. [​IMG]

Rafael.

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

As I said in my quickie review, this film is all about characters, and growth through adversity, and thinking outside their comfort zone. This film could have de-railed at many points along the way, but it did keep its focus on the central theme of tolerance through and through.

I couldn't believe I didn't find Macualey Culkin muggingly annoying in his role. I did enjoy the work of Susan Sarandon's daughter (Eva Amurri) in this film as well.

The satire on using religion-based motivations to build up one's cachet of self-importance was deftly realized in the Hilary Faye character, painfully so. Mandy Moore was actually pretty good in her portrayal of this religiously myopic teenager.

Mary, Mary, Mary, through amazingly ignorant life blinders derived from a worldview that discounted cause-and-effect of the real world for a fantastical naive mindset born from trusting too much into ideas that don't quite mesh with real world consequences of actions, she finds herself on the outside looking in, but finding that looking outwards is a better place to embrace community based on tolerance and love.

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

As I said in my quickie review, this film is all about characters, and growth through adversity, and thinking outside their comfort zone. This film could have de-railed at many points along the way, but it did keep its focus on the central theme of tolerance through and through.

I couldn't believe I didn't find Macualey Culkin muggingly annoying in his role. I did enjoy the work of Susan Sarandon's daughter (Eva Amurri) in this film as well.

The satire on using religion-based motivations to build up one's cachet of self-importance was deftly realized in the Hilary Faye character, painfully so. Mandy Moore was actually pretty good in her portrayal of this religiously myopic teenager.

Mary, Mary, Mary, through amazingly ignorant life blinders derived from a worldview that discounted cause-and-effect of the real world for a fantastical naive mindset born from trusting too much into ideas that don't quite mesh with real world consequences of actions, she finds herself on the outside looking in, but finding that looking outwards is a better place to embrace community based on tolerance and love.

6. Chris_Richard

Chris_Richard Supporting Actor

I agree this is one of the high points of the summer.

The satire holds up pretty well with some very funny lines. Macauley Culkin and Eva Amurri surprised me with their acting. Their scenes and dialogue were some of my favorites. Mandy Moore does a fine job in what could have been a tiresome role.

It is not a perfect film. The satire begins to falter toward the end. Allthough not to the extent as Mean Girls, another high school film of cliques against each other. But it is one of my most enjoyable theater experiences of the year.

7. Chris_Richard

Chris_Richard Supporting Actor

I agree this is one of the high points of the summer.

The satire holds up pretty well with some very funny lines. Macauley Culkin and Eva Amurri surprised me with their acting. Their scenes and dialogue were some of my favorites. Mandy Moore does a fine job in what could have been a tiresome role.

It is not a perfect film. The satire begins to falter toward the end. Allthough not to the extent as Mean Girls, another high school film of cliques against each other. But it is one of my most enjoyable theater experiences of the year.

8. Jason Walstrom

Jason Walstrom Supporting Actor

I always love Jena Malone, she's always great in whatever she does.

9. Jason Walstrom

Jason Walstrom Supporting Actor

I always love Jena Malone, she's always great in whatever she does.

10. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

This is a terrific, if mildly flawed little gem that I give points for tackling subjects that frighten most studio executives. I thought the performances were great all-around and the satire was mostly dead-on. I wouldn't really recommended it for the more rigid members of religious culture, but funny and rewarding for others, believers and non-believers alike.

I imagine Jerry Falwell would have kittens if he saw it, but he'd be missing the point. It's hard enough being a teenager, but even worse when supplemented with certain cultural demands.

11. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

This is a terrific, if mildly flawed little gem that I give points for tackling subjects that frighten most studio executives. I thought the performances were great all-around and the satire was mostly dead-on. I wouldn't really recommended it for the more rigid members of religious culture, but funny and rewarding for others, believers and non-believers alike.

I imagine Jerry Falwell would have kittens if he saw it, but he'd be missing the point. It's hard enough being a teenager, but even worse when supplemented with certain cultural demands.